First voyage advice

New Boater

Visit site
Hi all,

As collection of my new boat is not too far in the future I am after some advice.

The journey will be from Beaucette Marina, Guernsey (or very near by) to Dover.

At present I plan to do it in two parts. Guernsey to point A then point A to Dover the following day.

My question is regarding point A. I will want to refuel and stay the night (onboard) and was thinking Poole, Southampton etc.

Which one would you choose as the easiest? Easiest to navigate to, easiest to fuel up, easiest to find a guest berth and so on.

Also can anyone think of the absolute must haves to make the journey.

I will have someone with experience with me but I want to be as prepared as possible myself without putting all the prep onto my Pal.

The Boat has a Garmin 5012 chart plotter, VHF Radio (I have a hand held as well) life jackets, flares and a Dinghy on the back. Engines will have been serviced and sea trialed. I will have Savvy Navvy on the phone (incase)

One thing I did notice on the way there and back on the Ferry was a patch of very rough and confused sea. Will aim to go around that.

All advice welcome.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
This may have been overkill but we got back in one piece and definitely needed some of them.

Attachments

• IMG_2024-08-26-151647.jpeg
    IMG_2024-08-26-151647.jpeg
    232.7 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1352.jpeg
    IMG_1352.jpeg
    419.2 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1351.jpeg
    IMG_1351.jpeg
    526.8 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1350.jpeg
    IMG_1350.jpeg
    547.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1349.jpeg
    IMG_1349.jpeg
    617 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1348.jpeg
    IMG_1348.jpeg
    499.1 KB · Views: 39

New Boater

Visit site
Ok thanks for the input.

Will add more tools, filters and belts.

There doesn’t seem to be much in between guernsey and the UK.

The boat is a Hardy Seawings 305.

Lots of food and drink. Happy if it takes all day. Won’t be in a rush. Will aim to pick very nice weather window and allow 4 days for drama recovery.

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Savvy navvy has Guernsey to Poole at about 75nm 👍🏻

Has anyone done the trip?

I’ve done Jersey to Salcombe - which IIRC was 110nm. Managed it in about 10/11hours in horrible conditions in a Fairline 50 Fly.
Going to do it in two stages.

Sorry - but I was going by your OP which was point A to Dover which you were only planning a day for. 👍

Last edited:

New Boater

Visit site
Sorry to all that I have confused.

Guernsey to point A (point A being southampton or Poole etc)

Then from there to Dover the following day.

But will probably make it Portsmouth now seeing as that will make the VAT part easier.

👍🏻👍🏻

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com

mil1194

www.myitmatters.com
Oh. Savvy navvy has it at 102nm.

Maybe three days then. Haven’t made a proper plan yet so all this info is great.

I will get my pal to sit down with me with some good old fashioned charts and a cup of tea to get it sorted.

Well I stand to be corrected but that seems very short. 💁 someone here must have done it but I’ve only been West from the Solent and the Bristol channel/Welsh coasts.