First time buyer - Sealine/Bayliner

JumboTed

Visit site
Hi Everyone.

First post on the forums after reading them for a while.

I am looking into buying my first boat in the next month or so. I have a Range rover 4x4 so ideally i would get something that can legally be put onto a trailer for transport around the many areas suitable in Northern ireland (where i live). I have been looking at Sealine S23's as they seem good value and from what i have seen on here the KAD32's are fairly robust and offer good performance and economy.

Another boat that caught my attention was the Bayliner 265. I have seen quite a few on the web, some require quite a lot of attention but i'm quite handy so wouldn't mind a bit of work. I can't seem to find out much information on the 265's fitted with KAD32's? I am a bit worried they would be underpowered? Most seem to be fitted with the mercruiser petrols which i wouldn't mind either but anything that is easy to maintain and cheap to run is definitely preferred. Basically I am trying to find something that has good cabin and deck space but can cruise at decent speeds. Budget is around 30k so any recommendations on makes/models is much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I have been looking at exactly the same boats so we are in competition :) I tend to favour the Sealine. Most of the American boats seem to have Petrol engines and the boats seem to be cheaper and more available however. Petrol will I think cost you twice as much to run in terms of fuel (assuming you run red diesel of course). I was also advised to look at Jeanneau Leaders as I was told they are less 'tippy/rocky' than the sealine. Not sure if these are at the legal tow weight though.

Realistically I will not change my boats (Fletcher 19 Sports Cruiser and Fletcher 17 Bow Rider) for some time as was made redundant a little while ago but I enjoy looking

If you PM me you phone number happy to have a chat

Regards

Dennis

Momac

Visit site
I owned a sS3 for about 6 years and would certainly recommend it over a Bayliner.
I don't like the door in the windscreen access to the bow and absent side decks typical of the american boats.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
I owned a sS3 for about 6 years and would certainly recommend it over a Bayliner.
I don't like the door in the windscreen access to the bow and absent side decks typical of the american boats.

MartynG

I have been told by some that the Sealine which I favour can be a bit tippy and is not so stable side ways and can be a little difficult to get to run level at speed because the beam is too narrow for the height. Did you find this at all because if true puts me off a little

Dennis

Momac

Visit site
When I first had the boat, and being inexperienced at the time , I had one unfortunate event when the boat did tip over and did a sharp left turn all by itself. But this was due to the trim tabs being very unevenly set. I set the tabs level with the hull and after that never had a repeat of this issue. On the plane the boat felt very stable and could be leaned over into a turn with confidence.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
Do they come with trim tabs as standard. I initially found that my Fletcher GTS would not run level unless I got it properly trimmed with just the leg

Dennis

CX54WEK

Visit site
We have had our S23 for 9 years now.

We considered a Bayliner 245 fitted with a KAD32 when we bought ours but discounted it because I didn't feel safe clambering through the windscreen and down the bow to get at the bow lines. The rails were also not high enough for my liking.

You very quickly get used to the handling of the S23. They are a bit sensitive to weight distribution, but then again any boat of the same size will be. We very rarely use the trim tabs on ours and use weight distribution throughout the boat instead to make sure that it is level. We only use the tabs in a strong cross wind.

We may be biased but we do think that the S23 is a cracking little boat for the money.

Look for one that is well specced up as items like heating, new hoods and new plotters don't add anything to the value of the boat but do cost a small fortune to add at a later date which can soon rack up to a large percentage of the boats value.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Do they come with trim tabs as standard. I initially found that my Fletcher GTS would not run level unless I got it properly trimmed with just the leg

Dennis

I don't think they were standard fit. We have seen one that didn't have them but by far the majority do have them.

JumboTed

Visit site
Thanks for all the input! Anyone hve any idea what a 265 is like with a kad32 in it? I like the size of the cabin in it but worried it will be underpowered when we have a few friends onboard. I do like the s23's but seem a little tighter on space.

CX54WEK

Visit site
Thanks for all the input! Anyone hve any idea what a 265 is like with a kad32 in it? I like the size of the cabin in it but worried it will be underpowered when we have a few friends onboard. I do like the s23's but seem a little tighter on space.

There is no doubt you get more interior space on both the 245 and 265 due to the lack of side decks.

Some friends of ours had a 245 with the KAD32 and that was undeniably a great boat and served them well until they upsized to a Sealine S28.

The performance of the 245 with the KAD32 was very similar to the S23. Can't comment on the 265 with that engine but it isn't a massively bigger boat.

Bigplumbs

Visit site
So here is the million dollar question. If you see a S23 with KAD32 in decent condition up for £30,000 asking price and they are inviting offers. What is a reasonable offer as opposed to an insult !!.

I subscribed to something today and have had 2 calls fro0m sellers already seems it might be a Buyers Market

Dennis

Momac

Visit site
A couple of years ago you could have had one for £25k as there were lots on the market and nothing was selling very easily . But boats of all sorts don't seem to hang about too long at the moment providing the asking price is reasonable. And £30k is a reasonable asking price providing the boat is in very good condition and not immediately needing significant expense. I guess a 5% discount would be worth asking without being insulting.

Step1

Visit site
Have you trailered anything this size before? Whilst they are "small" boats they are massive to be trailered in and out all the time, especially the 265. We originally started out with a little dinghy on the Thames and coming back in one night we saw a couple bringing a 265 out. I think it was their first trip out but they had been there for 3 hours getting it back on the trailer. It looked huge on the back of their Shogun. We'd planned to get something like a Searay 215 until that point to get the best of both worlds, i.e. Move it around on the trailer and dump it in a marina for a couple of months at a time. We missed out on one and started looking at S23/S25s and we really liked them and even looked at one on a trailer. However, despite growing up launching my Dads old 18ft fletcher with a tractor, I decided launching anything bigger was just far too much hassle to launch and recover on a regular basis. If your thinking of putting in a marina for a few months at a time and trailering out at the start and end of the season, the S23/5 will be easier although wouldn't surprise me if the same weight as the 265 as they're good solid boats. People do launch 24-26ft boats regularly on a trailer but for me it's simply too much hassle and I'd get bored very quickly. In terms of which boat though, S23/5...... in a marina!

[2068]

Visit site
So here is the million dollar question. If you see a S23 with KAD32 in decent condition up for £30,000 asking price and they are inviting offers. What is a reasonable offer as opposed to an insult !!.

I subscribed to something today and have had 2 calls fro0m sellers already seems it might be a Buyers Market

Dennis

I'd offer £27k and see what happened, if the boat is in good condition.

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
Had an S23 for 5 years and used to tow it down to Spain every year. Excellent boat and towed easily with a Shogun 2.8 Although the trailer was to spec we had numerous puncture problems so if you intend to do long journeys then over spec a bit on wheel size. Also its a big boat to float off the trailer so recommend having it lifted in. This will also improve bearing/brakes/cable life.
Best of luck

QBhoy

Visit site
Hi
Whilst you can certainly "compare" a Sealine s23 to a bayliner 265, there is no "comparison" really. Sealine is a much better boat and will remain a high quality boat, well into its senior years. The same cannot be said for a bayliner I'm afraid.
I can understand the attraction of a bayliner (having had both brands) with regards to boat for the money ratio, but they are night and day.
With regards to towing them, I'm not certain either would be ideal for that. Although perhaps legal (not sure about the 265), it is not a pleasant experience at all and once you have done once, you won't be keen to again. They may look small in the water, but stick them on a trailer and a tackle a few twisting roads with lorry drivers coming at you....man, it's horrible.
Although the modern sealines aren't built like they used to be, I wouldn't be surprised if it was almost as heavy as the larger bayliner 265.
Just my thoughts....

QBhoy

Visit site
With regards to the s23 being tippy...I don't think they suffer from this. The older S24 s240 and s230 did though.
Trim tabs are standard on these boats.

lambohill

Visit site
Take a look at Sea Ray too. We recently sold one. Excellent finish, in excess of british built comparables or Bayliner.

Realistically you won't want to tow regularly above 23ft.
The Sea Ray was 28 ft and hell of a load, one off tows only.

IMHO petrol at this size is spot on, as the engines are cheap and easy to repair, with plenty of power (300hp).
Fuel costs are not really worth worrying about unless you are really going for regular long on plane passages.

Market wise....I would say its a buyers.

Last edited:

QBhoy

Visit site
Lambohill....when you say British alternatives, you surely aren't suggesting that a searay is a better not than a Sealine or even a Fletcher ?
Not wishing to start an argument, just to clarify, haha.