Eyes and sunglasses

dgadee

Visit site
I've just been told that I have cataract problems and that UV at sea probably exacerbated this. "Quite young", the optician said. As a sailor she said I should have been wearing good quality sunglasses over the past 40 years. Of course I never did.

Boathook

Visit site
I've just been told that I have cataract problems and that UV at sea probably exacerbated this. "Quite young", the optician said. As a sailor she said I should have been wearing good quality sunglasses over the past 40 years. Of course I never did.
I h ave been told the same recently though when I questioned the optician she said that it was fairly normal for someone of my age. Anyway, I have started to wear sunglasses more at home and on the boat.
My dad in his mid 80's had his cataracts sorted which improved his driving no end. I'm no where near that bad yet but given time .......

Robin

Visit site
I have worn polarised sunglasses for many years one precription pair (no longer needed) and multiple 'fBill King fishing' polarised ones with polarised side protection pieces too Milady has polarised flip up clip ons over her varifocals, sadly no side protrction.

johnalison

Visit site
It should be part of one’s health education, along with sun creams. I have always carried sunglasses when cruising, but generally use the level of glare as a guide to when to wear them. I also wear a brimmed or peaked hat to protect my scalp. I am told that I have early cataracts, which I suppose is only to be expected in someone who has sailed and skied, but glare a night is the only current problem.

Ed. I wonder why an ad for Moorfields eye hospital has just popped up?

Blueboatman

Visit site
The bigger the sunglasses ( and polarising ones are fab), the less side glare
Aviators knew a thing or two ?
Side pieces sound jolly sensible
Having been a patient of Sussex eye hospital ,the range of eye problems , ages, complications they deal with is.. literally an eye opener
We should be taught as kids a bit more I guess

mjcoon

www.mjcoon.plus.com
I have regular sight checks and years ago was told I had incipient (not sure if the was the word used) cataracts. It has not been mentioned again since (I'm 79) but I try to remember to wear sunglasses in sunshine.

Chiara’s slave

Visit site
We never sail without them, even on cloudy days. It’s always brighter on the water. You can always whip them off for a bit if you need to. Well, I can, the Mrs has prescription ones, taking them off is not so straightforwards. As avid skiers, we’ve been aware of UB damage to eyes, and always had quality sunglasses around. I like the Bolle offshore lenses.

dgadee

Visit site
Reading the info the optician gave me, it says that if you are long sighted then you may feel you need your glasses less. Over the past few months I have going about with my glasses - which would have been unheard of in the past. A warning sign!

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
I have a friend, no really I do, who is an optician and sails. Had a LONG talk with her in the bar one night and learnt a huge amount. The following week I made an appointment with an independent optician, sorry the High Street chains don't cut the mustard, and sorted out a decent pair of everyday glasses that filter lots of 'bad light'.

This year as I was 60 the optician offered a 3D scan of my eyeballs. £35 well spent as she could tell me a lot about my eyes AND we have a baseline for the future.

When sailing I wear Affordable Sunglasses for Sport and Leisure Activities sunglasses, cheap but brilliant.

The Q

Visit site
Your version of cheap and mine are very different.. I've never spent that amount on a pair of sunglasses , until recently always under £10

I've spent my life working in buildings with no windows, therefore I'm sensitive to light and when sailing have always worn Sunglasses, cheap plastic, (you don't want glass around your eyes on a boat) polariod, wrapround.
Glasses on in about an hour and a half when I leave work.

johnalison

Visit site
For many years I have been happy with £40 Gill sunglasses, replaced a couple of years ago when the lenses became murky with another Gill pair. They float if dropped and come from an established maker and for me they are the best compromise between cheapos and ones with fashion labels and prices to match. For some reason I find it difficult to judge distance when wearing them and always remove them before entering a berth.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
For many years I have been happy with £40 Gill sunglasses, replaced a couple of years ago when the lenses became murky with another Gill pair. They float if dropped and come from an established maker and for me they are the best compromise between cheapos and ones with fashion labels and prices to match. For some reason I find it difficult to judge distance when wearing them and always remove them before entering a berth.
I use prescription sunglasses from the site posted above. They work a treat.

Scomber

Visit site
Exactly what happened to me. Had both done now mid 50s. First question from optician was 'do you sail or play golf'? Guess a lifetime of outdoor activities caused it. Just some laser on one to sort out a bit of something since.