electric motor for tender ?

petibonvm

Visit site
Hello, do you use an electric motor for your tender ? what brand ? what model? are you satisfied with this choice? THANKS

Pete7

Visit site
Second hand £65 40lb Minn Kota off e bay whilst bored over Christmas, its the salt water version and 18 years old. Will it work? no idea but worth the gamble. Just putting the battery box together for it.

Difficult to justify the £2000 for the posh ones.

Pete

Sea Change

Visit site
88lb Bison with a 60Ah LiFePO4 battery. Total cost £380 (motor was £100 secondhand).
I cut the shaft down on the motor, not a difficult job and saves you a bit of shoulder ache.

For occasional use, it's pretty good. Easy to use, light, quiet, no fumes or mess. Plenty of power for tootling around but not quite as fast as a 3.5hp two stroke. The battery gives, in theory, one hour of range.

The downsides: no range indication, the battery was cheap and lacks Bluetooth. The connection between battery and motor is very vulnerable to corrosion. And the Bison itself isn't really built for everyday use in a saltwater environment- lots of mild steel components, the transom clamps are threaded in to plastic and will strip if you are over zealous.

mattonthesea

ayearatsea.co.uk
Torqeedo 1150
Equivalent to 2 - 2.5 HP two stroke ish
With a single skin soft floor dinghy ok
With inflated floor v shape and rocker bow. Fab
The plastic is brittle. I had to glue some back - left on cockpit seat when sailing!!!
We anchor mostly and one charge is about 20 - 30 runs ashore but never got that low so that's a guess.
Quiet
My partner is not scared of it and likes the safety of no pull cord whack me in the face and no immediate starting rush😀
Battery connections are fiddly and cross thread is easy.
Easy to hand down from push pit.
Battery locking rod is plastic. Thinking of fashioning a metal one with loop for attachment line.

We love it

Probably love an e-propulsion too

fredrussell

Visit site
I bought a first generation Torqeedo T800 for very little on eBay. Love it. Bought a spare (dead) battery for it and put new cells in, so have mega range now.

fredrussell

Visit site
Always wondered why they make them so tall ??? Every boat I see with an e-motor .... the control handle is above shoulder height ... unlike an IC outboard ..
It’s because they’re designed for ‘trolling’, where you mount them to the transom of your mobo and just plod along slowly and silently whilst fishing.

justanothersailboat

Visit site
Trolling motors are indeed v tall. But even the "short" model of Torqeedo seems longish compared to short petrol outboards (I'm thinking of a 2.3 Honda here, not sure if those are extra short). Have the Torqeedo 600 and am very happy with it - the near-silence is bliss! - it's turned using the rubber dinghy from something I do if forced to, to something I look for excuses to go for a quiet evening or early morning potter about in. An expensive luxury but a really pleasant one.

It's also a lot easier to store on the boat and my cabin no longer has a nasty fuelly smell when I arrive at the boat in hot weather. Slightly to my surprise, I also find it easier to take the battery home to charge, than lug petrol cans around...

Refueler

Visit site
It’s because they’re designed for ‘trolling’, where you mount them to the transom of your mobo and just plod along slowly and silently whilst fishing.

Various small Mobo's here have them on the bow ... quietly chugging away on the river while guys have lines out.

I would think it easy enough to have sections to the shaft part .. to change length ? It doesn't have any cooling water or oil etc. to handle.

Sea Change

Visit site
Various small Mobo's here have them on the bow ... quietly chugging away on the river while guys have lines out.

I would think it easy enough to have sections to the shaft part .. to change length ? It doesn't have any cooling water or oil etc. to handle.
I shortened mine, it was pretty easy. Just take the head off and then cut down the grp tube. The only thing to watch is that you don't damage the cables that run inside it.

RupertW

Visit site
Torqueedo 1003 now 10 years old and still working fine. Never needed any maintenance.
It used to power our heavy 3m grp rib at the kind of moderate speed you would want to do through an anchorage, even loaded with 6 adults and luggage.
We get a lot more speed out of it with our current 2.6m ultralight aluminium rib but basically it just does the job and gets refueled by solar every few days via main domestic batteries.

Wlid blue yonder

Visit site
Hello, do you use an electric motor for your tender ? what brand ? what model? are you satisfied with this choice? THANKS
I'm in the Bison camp. Just had a 12v 55lb trust motor delivered for my 12ft dinghy. I havn't tried it yet but expecting it to have enough power for trolling but like most things, you get what you pay for.

Cspirit

Visit site
I have the ePropulsion. It's excellent, quiet, plenty powerful enough for my inflatable. However, it's expensive., around £1500 when I bought it three years ago......