Best 3.5hp outboard?

shortjohnsilver

Visit site
Rather defeatist solution but I needed an outboard this week so bought a Mercury 3.5 to replace the Honda which I’ve now sold for £150. I did receive a second quotation to fix the Honda of £270. I very much appreciate all the advice provided here and I got as far as taking the Cowl off only to be faced with the prospect of having to undo countless bolts in order to dig further into the engine itself - I know my limitations so decided not to wreck the engine but leave it to someone else.

PS - I am quite handy with bigger (inboard) type engines!
It wasn’t your outboard engineer that offered to buy your Honda off you was it? He would have secured a good deal if it was!
Only I had a similar situation a few years ago where I put my old Malta in for a service with an outfit that I don’t usually use. Anyway, didn’t hear from them and as I was about to go off cruising called in to see what was happening. Not a lot! I was then informed that the engine was knackered - a number of issues including a lack of compression. Offered to take it off me for a reasonable second sale price really and happy to sell me a replacement new 4 stroke Yamaha - which was very nice to be honest. But funds were a bit tight so I declined and took my Malta away. Borrowed one of a mate and after the summer took mine into my usual outboard guy. Told him the tale and left it expecting confirmation of the prognosis. Next day got a call to say my outboard all done and come and get it.
The outboard was fine. Carburettor gummed up as I’d used E10 and really should use super unleaded E5. They basically cleaned and gave it a good service and ran a compression test at my request. Absolutely nothing wrong with it! Still good today four years later.
I always felt that the other lot - also a dealer for Yamaha - wanted to push me to purchase a new four stroke outboard and get mine for a song. Never been back.

bromleybysea

Visit site
I bought a Mariner 3.5 outboard last year. It was a disaster. It was hard to start and stopped altogether after about 10 minutes running. The suppliers were unhelpful, claiming that the problem was due to poor fuel. It was also significantly heavier than the `Honda 2.3 it replaced and I struggled to get it from the boat to my tender single-handed. I was away from home on an extended cruise and when I got back I couldn't face the hassle of. battling with the supplier so I’ve p/ex’d it for something else. Not decided what yet. the compaNY I’m dealing with can supply a variety of petrol or electric outboards. I am trying to decide between the new ePropulsion Elite and a new Honda 2.3. Two issues of concern. My old Honda did me well for 20 years. I’ve been told that modern outboards are very fuel-sensitive due to having to comply with environmental regulations and I wonder if that’s true of newer Honda models. My main issue with electric outboards is charging them on board away from a mains supply. I have a modest electrical system on my boat, original equipment alternator on the engine and 150ah service batteries, and modest solar to keep the batteries topped up when its sunny. what should I do?

michael_w

Visit site
3.3 hp Tohatsu, Mariner, Mercury 2 stroke. I used to have one of those Honda POS. Best bit was selling it to an unsuspecting Frenchman.:)

dunedin

Visit site
3.3 hp Tohatsu, Mariner, Mercury 2 stroke. .......:)
Yes a second hand Tohatsu 2.5 or 3.3 would suit. That's what I have. Much lighter than a 4 stroke, and very simple.
Suggest use only E5 (superunleaded) petrol, and renew each year.
The fact that you failed to get the previous outboard to work suggests need to keep simple- and perhaps buy service manual and learn to clean the carburetor.

jwilson

Visit site
Personally prefer a two-stroke 3.3/3.5 ie with F/N Tohatsu/Mercury/Mariner - run it REGULARLY using clean E5 super unleaded or if not run that often use Aspen 2. They are in every way superior to the 4-stroke (much newer) 2.5 Yamaha I have which is not really but seems to weigh twice as much for less power.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
My 2015 Honda 2.3 outboard has been condemned by the outboard engineer at Cobbs Quay. Apparently requires a new carburettor plus labour an can’t guarantee longevity of repair even after that. So I think it’s sensible for me to buy a new outboard for the tender/dinghy. What do forumites recommend as a reliable replacement? I can’t afford an electric one before anyone suggests that option.

Thanks in advance,
Get a new engineer or learn to clean carbs. Then keep the fuel dry and use Bioror EB.

Getting a new outboard won't guarantee long life either, if the fuel condition that caused the clogging, is not solved.

---

If the problem is ethanol gas, which is likely, ultrasound and cleaners won't work. The carb is clogged with corrosion products and poking out the jets with a fine wire is the solution. 20 minutes start to finish with some skill, longer if it is the first time. The Biobor EB will prevent corrosion in the future. I bet you will see some pitting in the carb bowl.

Ethanol problems are newer in the UK. In the US we've been living with this for decades.

thinwater

sail-delmarva.blogspot.com
Get a new engineer or learn to clean carbs. Then keep the fuel dry and use Bioror EB.

Getting a new outboard won't guarantee long life either, if the fuel condition that caused the clogging, is not solved.

---

If the problem is ethanol gas, which is likely, ultrasound and cleaners won't work. The carb is clogged with corrosion products and poking out the jets with a fine wire is the solution. 20 minutes start to finish with some skill, longer if it is the first time. The Biobor EB will prevent corrosion in the future. I bet you will see some pitting in the carb bowl.

Ethanol problems are newer in the UK. In the US we've been living with this for decades. Here is an article on ethanol gas and boats. Living with E10