DSC Radio Alarm

D

Deleted member 36384

Same experience as Refueler and lustyd for DSC Alarms on a Standard Horizon GX1850GPS/E. The Distress Alert received alarm cannot be disabled. At least on this set, pressing any button, stops the Distress Alert alarm, once received i.e. acknowledged. List of Alarms that can be disabled: -

INDIVIDUAL CALL:ON
GROUP CALL: ON
ALL SHIPS: ON
POS REQUEST: OFF
POS REPORT: OFF
GEOGRAPHICAL: ON
DSC TEST CALL:ON

Refueler

Visit site
My B&G can set the alarm behaviour for each category of alert, so I can remove the unnecessary ones while leaving anything that is an actual emergency. As an example, CG have taken to sending alerts for weather broadcasts which is silent as an all stations, while mayday will beep very loudly. Both are recorded as messages though which can be read easily on either the main set or the wireless handset. I don't think you can silence distress alerts, but I can't imagine why I'd even try that!

OK ... I was a little too general with my DSC Alarm comment ... but I wanted to make point that Emergency DSC alerts cannot be switched off.

I know when I visit ships around the world - one of the biggest complaints is the too frequent alarms and so often for events too far to be attendable ...

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm going to chip in and back up those who've said "go on the course" as it seems fairly obvious from the question that the OP hasn't done so or did so before DSC was introduced

I'm generally agin pushing people to do formal training for sailing but not only is the relevant licence compulsory, IMO the training to use a VHF DSC set properly (and understand its limitations) is simply not optional - it's safety critical

Rafiki

Visit site
Reading posts like this makes me wonder if the person making the post actually has a license to use a VHF.
I am sorry to say this, but this is not really a simple " how do you do something" post. Normally the forum would give advice on how to go about something.
However, I feel a more robust comment is called for & the first response I would make has already been made-- Go on a VHF course & learn how to use a radio. o_O :unsure:
Thanks, but I have been on a course and do have a licence. My current VHF does this, the previous one did not, and both were DSC.

Daydream believer

Visit site
Thanks, but I have been on a course and do have a licence. My current VHF does this, the previous one did not, and both were DSC.
Perhaps you need to read, & understand, the instruction manual.
I am sure we would all be interested to know which DSC radio does NOT sound an alarm when it receives an emergency DSC call. Possibly you could enlighten us. There used to be add on equipment to make a VHF into a DSC unit but that is something else.

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
I'm going to chip in and back up those who've said "go on the course" as it seems fairly obvious from the question that the OP hasn't done so or did so before DSC was introduced
Possibly & If one has done a pre DSC course, then it needs to be upgraded to DSC level
The only time that one does not need a license to use the VHF set is when needing to make a Mayday call. It may also apply to Pan Pan but I cannot recall.
For that reason, I have full instructions on how to post a voice Mayday next to the VHF set .The instructions for the emergency DSC alert button are alongside that.

Reactions: Bru

Gary Fox

N/A
Visit site
Occasionally, like today, the radio emits an ear splitting alarm which gradually increases in volume. Invariably it happens when I am single handed and in the middle of a tricky manouvere. I press various buttons then turn it off to retain my sanity. What is it, or somebody, telling me and what action should I take?
You can buy a used non-DSC fixed VHF, from a good firm like Icom, for a few quid. Then you can stay on VHF, fulfilling any moral and legal obligations, without the DSC alerts. Anything serious will soon be on voice anyway in 99% of circumstances.
DSC alarms are dangerous, they distract the helmsman, and ruin off-watch crews' sleep which they need. These disadvantages heavily outweigh achieving the statistically unlikely possibility of your DSC alarm causing a successful rescue.
If you can't install a trad VHF, then you could take the back off your DSC set and stick a knife through the buzzer..

Last edited:

Daydream believer

Visit site
Some may complain about DSC but really a proper study of the manual & an attempt to become conversant is very useful. I am sure many yachtsmen do not really have a clue how their radio works
They cannot use all the bells & whistles, which is a pity. I admit that my newly aquired ( non DSC) ICOM handheld still has functions, which I do not fully understand yet, due to lack of use in these covid times. I will, when I go on my 14 days hol in September.

DSC has other uses. One can call another station without using voice call on 16 , thus blocking the airwave.( gotta leave room for the radio checkers). This can select the required frequency & go straight to it & use it- having first checked it is free, of course.
One can call a group- typically a race group- prior to a race, or a cruise in company.
This does mean that the main calling channels can be kept clear. There is less chance of missing one of the recipients, meaning a repeat call

When using AIS one can select a ship & if the radio is connected a direct call can be made-This can be useful ,because I often find some ships have not manned their VHF properly. An alarm may wake them up. I have not tried this, as my radio is not connected to my AIS, but to my Yeoman plotter & GPS.

Calls can be made to CG via DSC- Although in my experience the last 3 calls have been ignored- as if they are not sure what to do with them :unsure: -So we might be better to ignore that one.

Emergency calls can take different form. It is not just a case of pressing the red button. Sinking, aground, fire, etc all save a little time. Position reporting saves that annoying CG habit of insisting on box ticking. One can say something like "300 yds due S of so & so LH", yet they still ask for lat & long, thus wasting time ( in my view at least) DSC gives the position.

Daydream believer

Visit site
From my experience, every DSC set I've installed before being programmed with MMSI, connected to gps, etc.
So basically one does not install the DSC function at all . Yes! I suppose it would be a solution. May as well leave it in the box & not have to listen to those annoying requests for radio checks as well :rolleyes:
If my VHF cannot find the GPS, it starts bleeping, so that can be annoying as well:unsure:

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Occasionally, like today, the radio emits an ear splitting alarm which gradually increases in volume. Invariably it happens when I am single handed and in the middle of a tricky manouvere. I press various buttons then turn it off to retain my sanity. What is it, or somebody, telling me and what action should I take?
Bit like "How do I turn the gas alarm off?" (personal experience).

steveeasy

Visit site
A valid point ruined by pointless, unjustified insulting people, Garyfox.
Hey well there lots of those arround. The thread did make me smile though. As so many so called experts that put me down frequently not specific to this forum have no knowledge of DSC. Know it alls but know nuffing.
Steveeasy

Refueler

Visit site
Are you sure about that ? Mine is specific to me. Not the boat.
I do have a risk assessment, specific to the boat but that is different.
How would it work for a portable hand held VHF DSC set then?

There are actually TWO licences .... your Operators Licence and the Ship Station Licence.
Maybe being in UK and having the Lifetime issued Licence for the Ship Station - you've forgotten ?

So where do you get your MMSI number from then ?

In UK - its OFCOM ... in Latvia its VAS .... on behalf of ITU.

Handhelds are listed along with the Fixed stations ... AIS Tx's ...

That was case when I was UK and Ofcom ... its case now with where I am now ...

Last edited:

awol

Visit site
Surely it is incumbent on all who think they know how to work their DSC radios to encourage understanding in others by making DSC calls to the poor ignorami. Calls should ideally be timed for tacks, mooring manouevres, and other moments of stress for maximum learning opportunity. MMSIs can be gleaned from AIS, ITU database and probably elsewhere. There is at least one boat of my acquaintance that has learned how to tell me to sod off this summer.

Daydream believer

Visit site
There are actually TWO licences .... your Operators Licence and the Ship Station Licence.
Maybe being in UK and having the Lifetime issued Licence for the Ship Station - you've forgotten ?

So where do you get your MMSI number from then ?

In UK - its OFCOM ... in Latvia its VAS .... on behalf of ITU.

Handhelds are listed along with the Fixed stations ... AIS Tx's ...

That was case when I was UK and Ofcom ... its case now with where I am now ...
Fair comment.
Memory failure so I may be wrong here.
I do not have 2 licenses. As far as I recall the MMSI is added to the VHF license. I do not have mine handy as it is on the boat so I cannot check if it is actually printed. I do not believe it is. Only the call sign. I have notified OFCOM but do not have any additional license. The MMSI for EPIRB etc comes with the unit & as far as I remember is recorded on the online portal. When it was first introduced it was a real faff. Perhaps the site has improved since
I had forgotten about that.

Last edited: