DSC Radio Alarm

Bilgediver

Visit site
I checked on board my boat this weekend & I apologise.
I was totally wrong about not having 2 licenses. Total brain fade but I must have been on the ball at some time in the past. ;)

I have my personal VHF license, PLUS a ships license, which covers my hand held VHF, AIS, EPIRB & My main VHF. The MMSI for each ( not the hand held) is given, as is my station call sign.
I note that it was last updated in 2014 when I added my AIS.
Then there is the OFCOM letter re ATIS for use in Dutch waters. But I have never bothered to refer to it,

It is all on line now and you are supposed to reconfirm every 5 years so you might be overdue. It might be worth you giving Ofcom a call and saying you are not online. They will check your details and send out a freshly dated licence.

Not that in the UK EPIRBS etc do not come with an MMSI they have a specific Hex code in them that you register with MRCC Falmouth and they link this to your MMSI in the system.

awol

Visit site
I got a DSC radio as a safety toy for me and, because it was available, got one with an AIS receive function. Then it started making alarm noises that made little sense by the time I got below to the radio so I added a remote mike in the cockpit. I actually use the DSC function for occasional CG calls and to other boats, sometimes via the AIS screen. The only annoying thing is that it doesn't return to Ch16 once the alarm and Ch67 message is done. Having Mayday messages on the remote mike screen saves trying to remember the position as I dash below - has only happened once but that's enough to make it worthwhile.
If a DSC radio is beyond someone's ability how do they get on with a modern car and all its, to me, unnecessary gadgets and distractions?

ashtead

Visit site
I was just annoyed at the alarm really and my inability to turn off -it functions just like any other radio but is theoretically useful to call up vessels on chart plotter I guess. Mike in cockpit is biggest plus along with foghorn loudhailer to my mind .