Do you have a "yacht "or a "sailing boat"?

C08

Visit site
When talking about my boat I tend to feel yacht sounds uppity/gives a wrong impression of an old sailing boat so I use the term "old sailing boat". Am alone in feeling that the term yacht gives the wrong impression of a small sailing boat to the general public?

ash2020

Visit site
When talking about my boat I tend to feel yacht sounds uppity/gives a wrong impression of an old sailing boat so I use the term "old sailing boat". Am alone in feeling that the term yacht gives the wrong impression of a small sailing boat to the general public?
I agree, I never call it a yacht. Even though it cost far less than most peoples' cars and takes hours of hard work and has never been near the Mediterranean. I just get the impression that it would give the idea that you're minted.

Poignard

Visit site
Is it a peculiarly British thing, this fear of being thought pretentious?

I mean, does it really matter what people think about trivial things when there are far more important things that ought to be being thought about; and talked about?

Trident

Visit site
I use boat to the public and I think, yacht exclusively for VHF before the name of the vessel - and the vessel is a 50 foot catamaran so might be entitled to be a bit uppity (all be it an older one that I bought cheap and did up) but I think yacht just sounds like one is trying to hard ("It was raining so I took the Porsche to the shops" , when car would do fine in that context)

Reactions: C08

Wansworth

Visit site

I mean, does it really matter what people think about trivial things when there are far more important things that ought to be being thought about; and talked about?
Even if it’s a mirror dinghy the Daily Mail will mark you down as a luxuary yacht owner…

Trident

Visit site

I think its a British thing go with understatement - one wouldn't want to emulate those blow-hard colonials now would we?

RunAgroundHard

Visit site
Yacht and boat are used, never thought about the word yacht being considered pretentious. Then again, some folks are queer, and some British citizens have a problem with image, especially class. That's their issue, not mine.

Refueler

Visit site
In actual terms - it depends on the century you are talking about - as each term / class of waterborne has a name .. and Yacht is a term of a specific class ...

Today of course it has lost its meaning ...

KevinV

Visit site
At 22' I only ever use yacht in jest - it's boat the rest of the time.

Funnily enough I find a lot of the non-boating public associate yacht with a gin-palace - as in the super yachts that make the news.

MADRIGAL

Visit site
At 22' I only ever use yacht in jest - it's boat the rest of the time.

Funnily enough I find a lot of the non-boating public associate yacht with a gin-palace - as in the super yachts that make the news.
Agreed. And at sixteen feet, calling Madrigal a yacht would definitely be a jest, though certainly meeting the definition of "a vessel used for pleasure". We generally use "sailing dinghy", to differentiate her from the rubber tenders that are now often called dinghies.