Votes: 226 87.3%
  • Nope. Haven't bothered.

Votes: 33 12.7%

• Total voters

TSB240

Visit site
+2

Yep and Swmbo.

We went on course last saturday well worth the money and a must if you are going abroad to France.

Alfie168

Visit site
I have a Short Range VHF Cert, but as I've only been a pond sailer I've never fitted my VHF to the boat, so no licence, but I have recently put a cable down the mast and an aerial at the top, so If I do eventually find the seaside I shall get a licence and go on a 'radio check' course so beloved of Solent sailors;););):D

Mind you there probably won't be anyone listening where I'm going:confused:

Tim

Hoggar

www.theoldglassboats.com
Poll worked fine for me.

I have a VHF in both of my boats but I'm an inland sailor
I do have my MMSI registration but havent bothered to
get a license although I have gone over 3 or 4 online courses
in hopes that Ill know what I'm doing if I need it.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
Both the boat and me. SWMBO also licensed as she felt she should know what to do (and legally) if I was incapacitated

Didn't they tell you? In an emergency any person on board may use the VHF to call for assistance. If you are able to supervise, any crew member can use the radio for general communication.

But I do see the benefit of SWMBO knowing correct procedures & knowing what to expect - it takes a lot of the stress factor out. My wife is a technophobe so wouldn't touch the radio, even if I went over the side. So I tend to take "solo" precautions even when the family come with me. :D

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
I have only recently done my SRC, but installed and licensed radio before I took the boat out when we got it last year. We both now have our SRC and my son will do his too when older.

In an emergency, ANYONE can use the radio to summon help. It's far better to have it and use only in an emergency than not have and someone die as a result. I think this is the single reason the license is not really policed.

I would urge anyone going to sea to invest in a VHF radio - and learn how to use it. The cost of the operators license itself is small, and the ship's license is free if you apply online via the Ofcom website.

TSB240

Visit site
I seem to remember from last saturdays course that yougsters are allowed to sit the course before their 16th? birthday. If they pass they can then get their license once of age.

Forgot to write it down bet swmbo did but cant find her notes.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
I seem to remember from last saturdays course that yougsters are allowed to sit the course before their 16th? birthday. If they pass they can then get their license once of age.

Forgot to write it down bet swmbo did but cant find her notes.

I think that's right, but my lad would have to wait 9 years - they'll have changed it by then :)