Do you have a VHF license?

• Yep. I have a license.

Votes: 226 87.3%
  • Nope. Haven't bothered.

Votes: 33 12.7%

• Total voters

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
When you say "renewed", you mean "amended" ?

I've changed equipment and i just added the new stuff and reprinted the licence.

The 10 year thing is also confusing. Mine needs validating 10 years from the issue date, yet on the licence and on the OFCOM site it says "This Licence shall continue in force unless revoked by Ofcom or surrendered by the licensee."

I think the licence is perennial, but the 'validation' an attempt to ensure we keep the records up-to-date and theoretically at least, they could revoke it if not validated every 10 years. I guess it's an automated means of culling dead records from their database and ensuring we maintain correct address etc? I'd think that there would be some sort or grace period or auto-generated reminder however...

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
I think the licence is perennial, but the 'validation' an attempt to ensure we keep the records up-to-date and theoretically at least, they could revoke it if not validated every 10 years. I guess it's an automated means of culling dead records from their database and ensuring we maintain correct address etc? I'd think that there would be some sort or grace period or auto-generated reminder however...

Yeah, that's pretty much what i was thinking.

Kawasaki

Visit site
When you say "renewed", you mean "amended" ?

I've changed equipment and i just added the new stuff and reprinted the licence.

The 10 year thing is also confusing. Mine needs validating 10 years from the issue date, yet on the licence and on the OFCOM site it says "This Licence shall continue in force unless revoked by Ofcom or surrendered by the licensee."

Yeah, that's pretty much what i was thinking.

Well then, we are all thinking that after 10 years summat's got to give!:rolleyes:
Validated,renewed,amended:confused:
Anyway, still a dam sight better than a few years ago when there was an annual fee and you had to display a 'tax disc'.
Anyway is that a 'damm site ' better or ---
Licence , license, -- friggen English -- then there's Devonish an Norfolkish
Friggen Tractor boys:p:D

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
So, what you are all saying is, there is no licence 'renewal' required for ten years, so my 2005 licence is still valid as my circumstance have not changed and I still use the same boat and radio.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
So, what you are all saying is, there is no licence 'renewal' required for ten years, so my 2005 licence is still valid as my circumstance have not changed and I still use the same boat and radio.

That seems to be the consensus - you simply need to 'validate' (to use their term) - which we think merely keeps your record live on their system.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc

I think we've translated it as the license lasts forever, but you have to "validate" it every ten years. Why on Earth they just don't say that you have to renew it every ten years is a mystery.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
Just visited the Ofcom website and found that you can validate the licence anytime you want. I just did mine and i get 10 years from today. The licence number does not change, so a reprint of page one brings the paperwork up to date.

Out of interest, what problem are you having with the Ofcom website Major ? It's all working for me.

Major Catastrophe

Visit site
Just visited the Ofcom website and found that you can validate the licence anytime you want. I just did mine and i get 10 years from today. The licence number does not change, so a reprint of page one brings the paperwork up to date.

Out of interest, what problem are you having with the Ofcom website Major ? It's all working for me.

It was the old site I had problems with, which they had when they first changed the rules. I never bothered going back so I didn't know they had changed it.

I will retrieve my licence number off the boat this weekend, then I can register and become legal again.

PaulGooch

www.boat-fishing.co.cc
It was the old site I had problems with, which they had when they first changed the rules. I never bothered going back so I didn't know they had changed it.

I will retrieve my licence number off the boat this weekend, then I can register and become legal again.

Ok, if it helps, direct link to where you need to be is :

https://services.ofcom.org.uk/

Kawasaki

Visit site
Got the boat all licenced up, but not us. I think the charges are way too high, £120 for the course and then £25 for the licence plus a photo.
The entire thing inclusive should be no more than £25.

ukmctc, you'l no get it fer 25 quid me boy but shop around and you'l get fixed up for a whole lot less than 150 drinking coupons!;)
Junno copper wire was invented by two Scots arguing over a penny!:D

oceanfroggie

www.derg.ie
Yes have all the bunphf, bla, bla, bla, etc, but after all these years wonder if it was over hyped. Nobody ever checks the paperwork for us toy mariners. Certs for us leisure folks are just paper. As ever 'currency' with practical skills are more use than a worthless bit of fading paper.

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
My previous club (Stafford Coastal Cruising Club :D 'tis true!) used to set up & run their own free course as part of their off season activities (and probably still do). After mock tests, an instructor was invited to test the group one evening and the cost for the shared test was nominal.

It's simple enough to do, all you need is to get a few people together who want to learn plus a couple who have done it before, get a copy of the RYA syllabus & work thro it together, it only takes a few 2hr evenings.

kashurst

Visit site
was updating (amending) mine a few weeks ago and noticed there is a £5000 fine if you are caught without one. £150 might be cheap in the long run....

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
Got the boat all licenced up, but not us. I think the charges are way too high, £120 for the course and then £25 for the licence plus a photo.
The entire thing inclusive should be no more than £25.

It is quite steep - I paid £80 for the course (1 day) and £30 to RYA for the licence. I'd say it was worthwhile however as it might one day save your life - or that of someone else. (Thus I resent less than say council tax that costs more than that per month and is largely wasted! :mad:)

I think the chance of being caught and prosecuted for not having a licence is pretty small, but the likelihood of one day needing to know how to relay a mayday or similar is probably greater. I did mine for my own peace of mind, not to conform to some bureaucrats rules and looked at in that perspective, it doesn't seem so bad... :) As Searush says, ask around local clubs etc and get a few together to cut the cost perhaps?

Searush

back2bikes.org.uk
(snip) (Thus I resent less than say council tax that costs more than that per month and is largely wasted! :mad:)

(snip)

So you don't use or need street lighting, road maintenance, fire brigade, ambulance, education, waste collection, Env health (restaurant checks, vermin eradication), Police, Building inspectors (so houses & offices don't fall down on you) Libraries, help for the elderly & disabled, Swimming pools, parks, playgrounds, public toilets etc etc? :rolleyes:

I am astonished at your lack of understanding of what your money does for you at the local level. Sure, there are mistakes made - show me a large business where there is NO waste! But you get pretty good value for your council tax in most cases.

I like to keep an eye on what local politicians do & will protest poor decisions, but by & large, I do not resent paying for the services available, even if I will never use some of them, most add value to my overall quality of life.