Do women prefer new boats?

chinita

Visit site
Although I love the look of the older, more traditional boats, I much prefer the interiors of the new boats. I love the spacious well designed interiors these boats have. There's more room, the sofas are comfortable, the galleys are well designed with lots of useful storage, and, most importantly for us girls, the heads are roomy and easy to keep clean. I love a nice loo, with a holding tank. No more bucket and chucket for me!

I like the look of this one:

http://www.hanseyachts.co.uk/showdetails.asp?boatid=17#

I think you have to view the whole thing as a package.

As a classic yacht owner I am obviously biased but I do regard my own rugged good looks, devil may care personality and millions of pounds as the real deal.

Perhaps you would like to spend a weekend on board. PM me.

BTW, that actually IS you in your avatar - isn't it?

KellysEye

www.kellyseye.net
>When long-distance cruising very few boats spend significantly more than 15% of the time at sea. A weekender however will spend a much higher percentage of the on-board time at sea.

I don't think the percentage time as sea is the right way to look at different boats or which to buy. Long distance sailing is mainly twenty four hours a day often for weeks and we liveaboard all year. Weekend sailing is daylight sailing in mild to moderate winds and stopping for lunch.

If I was weekend sailing I would buy a spacious boat with large aft cabin. We didn't buy one because the most important thing for long distance is sea kindliness, particulaly in heavy weather. But that doesn't mean the boat has to cramped or physically uncomfortable. Bowmans or Ovnis for example.

Some years ago there was a survey done in the Solent about the average time a Solent boat spends at sea. The figures for the number of boats in the river Hamble was given as 5,000, 3,000 in marinas and 2,000 on moorings. I don't recall the total number in the Solent but guessing it must be 15,000 to 20,000 or even more perhaps. The average annual time at sea was 50 seconds. Meaning the great majority of boats are weekend caravans parked on a fixed site. So apart from the keen sailors here and others it doesn't really matter what boat the people who don't move buy, I'm just surprised they pay more to buy one with a mast.

Lakesailor

Visit site
Best would be not swearing in places where it causes offence.........
To you.

Hmm.

So you decide how I express myself (leaving aside the asinine swear filter).

I am not hypocritical and deport myself on these forums in precisely the way I do in real life.
You may think that is not a very civilised way to be, but I've been like that for over 50 years and am not about to change.

........and as others have said shit is a word that you can see and hear on TV, radio in newspapers, at schools and, well, everywhere.
I don't actually subvert the swear filter to use what are regarded as obscene words, so from my viewpoint it's just normal language.

You may have a different viewpoint.

capnsensible

Visit site
You clearly agreed to the forum rules.

These are made to prevent other members crudity from being aired in a public place.

Whatever you do in private is obviously completely up to you.

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
You clearly agreed to the forum rules.

These are made to prevent other members crudity from being aired in a public place.

I never air my crudities in public, though I may towel away vigorously in the changing room.

2985028148_6f975ef5f5.jpg

capnsensible

Visit site
I happened across the expression 'potty mouthed' today.

Lots of newspaper back pages are tearing into Wayne Rooney for his rant yesterday.

There may be a lesson there.......

Great hat trick though.

FullCircle

Visit site
>When long-distance cruising very few boats spend significantly more than 15% of the time at sea. A weekender however will spend a much higher percentage of the on-board time at sea.

I don't think the percentage time as sea is the right way to look at different boats or which to buy. Long distance sailing is mainly twenty four hours a day often for weeks and we liveaboard all year. Weekend sailing is daylight sailing in mild to moderate winds and stopping for lunch.

If I was weekend sailing I would buy a spacious boat with large aft cabin. We didn't buy one because the most important thing for long distance is sea kindliness, particulaly in heavy weather. But that doesn't mean the boat has to cramped or physically uncomfortable. Bowmans or Ovnis for example.

Some years ago there was a survey done in the Solent about the average time a Solent boat spends at sea. The figures for the number of boats in the river Hamble was given as 5,000, 3,000 in marinas and 2,000 on moorings. I don't recall the total number in the Solent but guessing it must be 15,000 to 20,000 or even more perhaps. The average annual time at sea was 50 seconds. Meaning the great majority of boats are weekend caravans parked on a fixed site. So apart from the keen sailors here and others it doesn't really matter what boat the people who don't move buy, I'm just surprised they pay more to buy one with a mast.

Yep, but even you stop sometimes, and maybe stop for quite a while. What I was conveying (badly by the sound of it) is that I have put a lot of effort into the seaworthinewss and comfort at sea issues, but the boat remains much more accented on comfort aboard, is light and airy and better in our minds for life aboard. Time will tell, obviously.
I don't think I have seen many boats of 35ft that are wholly suitable for all situations, all I have seen have compromises.

Shibumi

Visit site
It has been suggested by several posters on this thread that modern designs are opposed by some because of their cost.
Could I propose that, in fact, modern designs are for the most part designed around what has become the most important design parameter;

Max volume / Marina Cost.

If the above was taken out of the equation (i.e. Marina fees were so small as to be negligable), who would choose modern high volume over elegance and sea-kindleness?