Do women prefer new boats?

Lakesailor

Visit site
I happened across the expression 'potty mouthed' today.

Lots of newspaper back pages are tearing into Wayne Rooney for his rant yesterday.

There may be a lesson there.......

Great hat trick though.
I don't know anything about football but I do know that Rooney's language will have been very ripe.

I don't think the Red Tops will give a toss about some everyday vocabulary from a nobody on a poxy sailing forum.

I tend to worry about things like terrorism and earthquakes leading to nuclear disaster.
Things that are actually important.

sailor d

London base but spend most of my time on boats
Visit site
I am a girl and I know the boat you like the look of. Very nice interior spacious, modern and oh so comfortable when tied up in a marina. In a heavy sea I am glad to own a Contessa 32. Although small I can hold on when things get bumpy without being thrown across the spacious saloon. I trust that she will keep me safe at sea, which to me is more important.
You need to ask yourself how you plan to use the boat. If fair weather sailing in the Med. Yes it is a great option.
In an Atlantic gale give me my Contessa. This girl values a seaworthy vessel above any creature comfort.

MapisM

Visit site
You clearly agreed to the forum rules.

These are made to prevent other members crudity from being aired in a public place.

Whatever you do in private is obviously completely up to you.
Well, I just understood that what the man does in private is a paint job like the one below (after having nothing planned at 9:30...).
If anyone "airing crudities in public places" would do similar things in private, the world would be a better place, 'fiuaskme.
Preludepaint.jpg

capnsensible

Visit site
OK, You are totally correct, its cool and erudite to swear. Makes you look big.

Sheesh, what a lot of fuss about a simple small complaint.

Signed Out

Visit site
Lots of assumptions being made on here, but then it's a web forum, so normal. OP doesn't say anything about looking for a boat, just makes a general statement about personal preference and almost asks for the opinion of others regarding the desires of the female gender/psyche in it's entirety, cos of course all wimmin are the same, aren't they? OP doesn't even state, or show on profile if they are a she (or he, or it...), and with numerous posters around here having nom de guerres that suggest being female (usually I guess being the boat's name), whilst not being so, I'd be cautious to make this assumption.

(What a killjoy, ey? But there seems to be a few of those about around here too. I get the (assumed again) impression that some of those with limited tolerance of certain modes of speech (albeit popular 'figures of') are not from the UK, where this site is based, and where such expressions are in common useage in all mass media. I think it was the mid eighties when Jools Holland got in trouble, to great scandal, for using Fuggers on "The Tube" (or a trailer for, I forget), and ever since it's been the norm, whilst religious (and cultural, racial, gender, "ability", etc.) themed humour has been around a far, far lot longer, and despite the PC trend of recentish times, it's returned as a kind of backlash, and doesn't shock or truly offend anyone who isn't out to be shocked, etc.).

No way I am going to make any suggestion as to "what a girl likes", let alone suggest that what someone likes is a bad choice because it doesn't fit with my own idea of a good or nice boat. Will happily continue to expound my opinion in many other ways though, mmm.

Signed Out

Visit site
NSFW (or sensitivities).

Oooh Captain, you have changed since the heyday of The Damned. Perhaps saw it coming with your Rogers and Hammerstein showtune cover (not the following, I hasten to add)...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8JSarJUlzQ

(p.s. Don't say I didn't warn you).
(p.p.s. posted in good (OK, cheeky/iffy) humour, but also I like the tune and it's sentiment).

Sailfree

Visit site
Another aspect of modern boats is a much lighter interior.

Just after we got our first big boat we visited a Westerly Oceanlord that had been externsively renovated. At that time I aspired to own one (or a Sigma 38) but SWMBO hated it for its darkness, small windows and dark mahogany interior.

Our most recent big boat purchase was a Deck Saloon but to my surprise a number of women have commented that with the large windows and light interior (off white faux leather seats!) they don't suffer from seasickness on our boat - a hidden benefit that I had not anticipated or appreciated!

I notice many new boats now not only have lighter woodwork and internal finishes but also have much larger window area (possibly fatal if rounding the horn) but ideal if you want women to enjoy being on your boat.

I find the way any thread smacks of AWB v MAB people get very sensitive. I personally think there are many wanabee Captain Hornblowers that imagine themselves as hardy sailors going round the horn and going out whatever the weather yet in reality rarely ever find themselves in more than a F5 which an AWB caters for very well and in a lot more comfort.

I will now duck!

Last edited:

Victoria Sponge

Visit site
Another aspect of modern boats is a much lighter interior.

Just after we got our first big boat we visited a Westerly Oceanlord that had been externsively renovated. At that time I aspired to own one (or a Sigma 38) but SWMBO hated it for its darkness, small windows and dark mahogany interior.

Our most recent big boat purchase was a Deck Saloon but to my surprise a number of women have commented that with the large windows and light interior (off white faux leather seats!) they don't suffer from seasickness on our boat - a hidden benefit that I had not anticipated or appreciated!

I notice many new boats now not only have lighter woodwork and internal finishes but also have much larger window area (possibly fatal if rounding the horn) but ideal if you want women to enjoy being on your boat.

I find the way any thread smacks of AWB v MAB people get very sensitive. I personally think there are many wanabee Captain Hornblowers that imagine themselves as hardy sailors going round the horn and going out whatever the weather yet in reality rarely ever find themselves in more than a F5 which an AWB caters for very well and in a lot more comfort.

I will now duck!

Well said! I've noticed that there are far more men sailing than women. Perhaps if men were more considerate towards us women folk there would be more women out there on the water. My OH is very considerate and I enjoy sailing as much as he does. The result is he gets to sail as ofen as he wants to, he has his wife on board with him, and a wife who keeps him very well fed and watered. What's more I'm not bad at helming either. A good result all round.

I'll get me coat :D

Ubergeekian

Me: Castle Douglas, SW Scotland. Boats: Kirkcudbri
www.drmegaphone.com
Some years ago there was a survey done in the Solent about the average time a Solent boat spends at sea. The figures for the number of boats in the river Hamble was given as 5,000, 3,000 in marinas and 2,000 on moorings. I don't recall the total number in the Solent but guessing it must be 15,000 to 20,000 or even more perhaps. The average annual time at sea was 50 seconds.

20,000 boats at 50 seconds each would be 278 boat-hours per year. If all sailing was done between 10am and 6pm on weekends between May and September (8 hours/day x 2 days/weekend x 20 weekends/season = 320 hours/season) that would give an average of 0.86 of a boat out of harbour at any one time.

Signed Out

Visit site
Well said! I've noticed that there are far more men sailing than women. Perhaps if men were more considerate towards us women folk there would be more women out there on the water. My OH is very considerate and I enjoy sailing as much as he does. The result is he gets to sail as ofen as he wants to, he has his wife on board with him, and a wife who keeps him very well fed and watered. What's more I'm not bad at helming either. A good result all round.

I'll get me coat :D

Which reminds me the factoid I was told about women often being better helms (and along with usually being better at parking cars/driving generally), yet almost always get coerced into line handling duties at berthing (as opposed to birthing? imagine the mother being told to tie the line at that stage!) time; thus into greater risk of physical harm as well as harder physical work.