Continual Quiz about the Bristol Channel (4)

bluedragon

Visit site
OK...let's start a new thread (I mean who can possibly follow-on from the last one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

So the QUESTION IS:

What electrifying experience happened in the Bristol Channel on the 13th May 1897...and it changed the world. What, who and where?

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
Would that be early radio transmissions by Marconi, near Cardiff IIRC?

Not long after that he built a transAtlantic station near Llanberis in North Wales, and the building is now used as an indoor climbing wall.

bluedragon

Visit site
Yes indeed..the world's first radio transmissions across water were between Flatholm and Lavernock Point. The first two days of trials were a miserable failure, then Marconi moved the equipment, added some more wire and hey presto...we all entered the age of wireless!!

damo

longkeel35.org.uk
What have the following got in common?

Exmoor, Bideford Bay, the Hartland Point peninsula, Glamorgan, Gower Peninsula and South Pembrokeshire.

(Clue: the Bristol Channel has more of it than any other area in the UK)

wotayottie

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
OK...let's start a new thread (I mean who can possibly follow-on from the last one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif )

So the QUESTION IS:

What electrifying experience happened in the Bristol Channel on the 13th May 1897...and it changed the world. What, who and where?

[/ QUOTE ]

Well it was certainly before ******* went under the high voltage line at NUSC and shorted out part of Newport, and even before someone else did the same thing at Chepstow. So I dont know. But the experience was certainly an electrifying one for those two people.

Mike_S

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
What have the following got in common?

Exmoor, Bideford Bay, the Hartland Point peninsula, Glamorgan, Gower Peninsula and South Pembrokeshire.

(Clue: the Bristol Channel has more of it than any other area in the UK)

[/ QUOTE ]

Silt ? /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

bluedragon

Visit site
I was originally going to say National Trust / areas of outstanding natural beauty...but Glamorgan doesn't quite fit as a whole. So..what about Viking settlements?

Csail

N/A
Visit site
Where?

Picture175.jpg