Consumer ROV underwater drone in UK ?

Marceline

Visit site
Hi - I've been looking at consumer hobby underwater ROV drones today and thinking about getting one for partner's 40th birthday

I think they'd enjoy it as they love wildlife and being able to view underwater flora and maybe some fauna hopefully I know they'd enjoy, especially as some of the models have 'VR' goggles which can hold their mobile phone and have some control on the ROV (which, again I think they'd really enjoy, and they do like to take photos and videos for various social channels)

I also thought it could be useful and practical for checking our sail boat for how things are down below when in the water and maybe even if the anchor's set ok.

Just wanted to ask, do any of you use them and any recommends for certain models/brands ? We're by the Menai Strait so I guess we'd be limited to just using it at slack water with the strong tides, but would visibilty here be enough to get good use out of it ?

I'm hoping it'd be a hobby they can enjoy and get a lot out of (rather than 'ah - it's nice but dosn't really work for where we live' - sadly we're not likely to be getting to Med or Carribean anytime soon) but if they can use it for looking at undersea plants and creatures I know they'd love it. But just wanted to ask any thought as even entry level ones are a bit pricey.

Last edited:

Refueler

Visit site
I have various cameras for underwater use ... but none give really good results due to murky water ... and I'm in Baltic where water can be quite clean.

I looked at ROV Underwater drone myself ... really fancy one - but for waters I am in ? The cost vs the lack of good video means its not viable.

If waters nice and clear - then why not ..

Alicatt

Visit site
Water in the canal is fairly clean, still image taken with a "gopro" type action camera on the end of a stick as I wanted to have a look at the anode on the saildrive
Saildrive1.jpg
This was a couple of days ago, now I can see the bottom quite well from the dock side as it is only about 1.5m deep at the dock, it was a bright and sunny day too.

Refueler

Visit site
This is a video recorded from my WiFi underwater camera setup ..... I had a rope round the prop and guy went into water to remove it while I filmed. I had to film from the down-sun side - so sun caused glare .. guy needed upsun side to avoid the glare when working ....

Water was semi clear/ murky ...

jamie N

Visit site
I've worked in the ROV industry for 45 years, from the very beginning of the industry, and have a slightly jaundiced view of these 'amateur' ROV's.
They're not particularly cheap for what they produce. They are viable in a swimming pool, or similar conditions. In most circumstances they'll be a hindrance to look at a prop, compared to a Go-Pro on a stick, a bendy stick is best, which is far less likely to get snagged on the object that one's trying to look at than any ROV.
Given that these things are SO limited at this level of the market, the boredom/frustration effect will kick in very quickly as the user will soon begin to be aware of what it can't do.
If one gets up to the units at a couple of £K, then they are better quality, and do become workable, but still only in a very limited fashion.
Where the OP is, with his tidal situation I'd urge him to spend the money on anything something else. The idea of looking at creatures and growth underwater palls after a very short time, as there really isn't much to see on any single dive. The ROV's in this sector won't work in any sort of weed as the thrusters will get entangled, as they do with 'proper' kit, and ruin your day. Once you've seen a crab getting pissed off at you, you've seen them all getting pissed off at you. They're all operating off of the same script, and the script is boring.
However, a few years ago I took this video where our divers were clearing rocks from beneath a pipe crossing; it'll be way more interesting than anything you'll probably be able to see (is still quite boring though), and a lot cheaper!

Arcady

Visit site
I've worked in the ROV industry for 45 years, from the very beginning of the industry, and have a slightly jaundiced view of these 'amateur' ROV's.
They're not particularly cheap for what they produce. They are viable in a swimming pool, or similar conditions. In most circumstances they'll be a hindrance to look at a prop, compared to a Go-Pro on a stick, a bendy stick is best, which is far less likely to get snagged on the object that one's trying to look at than any ROV.
Given that these things are SO limited at this level of the market, the boredom/frustration effect will kick in very quickly as the user will soon begin to be aware of what it can't do.
If one gets up to the units at a couple of £K, then they are better quality, and do become workable, but still only in a very limited fashion.
Where the OP is, with his tidal situation I'd urge him to spend the money on anything something else. The idea of looking at creatures and growth underwater palls after a very short time, as there really isn't much to see on any single dive. The ROV's in this sector won't work in any sort of weed as the thrusters will get entangled, as they do with 'proper' kit, and ruin your day. Once you've seen a crab getting pissed off at you, you've seen them all getting pissed off at you. They're all operating off of the same script, and the script is boring.
However, a few years ago I took this video where our divers were clearing rocks from beneath a pipe crossing; it'll be way more interesting than anything you'll probably be able to see (is still quite boring though), and a lot cheaper!
Quite so. That’s my experience too. Interestingly Erik Aanderaa (NBJS) used one in Loch Ness on his last video. The gentle drift of his boat made the ROV unusable. Possibly useful in completely still conditions for limited applications, but otherwise I would also opt for a GoPro on a stick.

Refueler

Visit site
I used a GoPro last summer on a stick and the bloody case leaked !! Luckily the GoPro survived it ...

I seriously suggest a better alternative to just look at props / keels etc - get a fishing camera ... you can get them in WiFi version as I have ... or wired ...

Obviously it depends on your tablet / phone etc which you get.

And save a huge amount of money !!

Refueler

Visit site
Sadly - advertising for such items is misleading as they show beautiful shots of tropical fish .. coral reefs .... so much beauty - but in reality when we try - we get crap murky shots that lack definition / colour etc. and really are useless to use as an inspection tool etc.

Endo's fall into same category as well ... the reality is that we never get the clarity of shots that web pages show .. we all wish they did - but they just don't !!

Refueler

Visit site
I'd love to say that the difference between getting 'good video' and 'poor video' was the Pilot, and I'm not good ones aren't cheap but that'd be too easy a jibe! ;)

Fair enough ... but when I look back to days when NDT shared our accoms in Saudi Arabia - I can recall watching some the gear ... despite the extreme price of much of it ... I was not impressed - nor were the NDT guys !!

Agree though that was some years ago and hopefully gear has improved !!

Refueler

Visit site
Banggood and similar sites are full of SJ4000 and similar Sport Cameras that slot into same style cases ... from 20 quid up to 200 quid or so ....

The biggest killer I've found - is battery life and replacement.

The GoPro Hero 4 Black I have is absolute garbage ... I have the Removu and simple WiFi remote controllers .. along with Android App for it ... a whole box of batterys ... even have the complete travel / explorer set for it ...
Total cost was over 800 quid ... yes !! Business Partner bought it for his son ... who never used it ... so he gave it all to me ...
My 40 quid SJ sportcam does better and has WiFi control / viewer app ...

Marceline

Visit site
Hi everyone - many (Many) thanks for all the feedback and advice - I think I'll get them a Camera and stick present (tbh I think they'd still really love that and can can use it for above water too) and I'll park the idea of a consumer ROV (we'll until at least we hopefully get some where clearer and warmer)

Thanks ever so much + really appreciated

jamie N

Visit site
The DIT ROV isn't really meant to be a project that concludes with a successful operational ROV, it's a project aimed at someone who enjoys projects. In the 'old days' this would have been the equivalent of a radio crystal set where the idea was to get a functioning radio, whether it crackled and popped was immaterial, it was a radio.
This is the same, if one follows the instructions it'll probably be able to sink, it'll make 'buzzy' sounds as the thrusters move a little bit of water around, and the lights will be interesting to any passing goldfish, but for anything useful it's not got any lip stick on for me, but it's served its purpose.
I will say though that I didn't scan the instructions like a works contract, it was a speedy look through at the pretty colours really, so I might be short changing it, but at 1st glance, it's something that a 14 year old can build to try and impress another 14 year old.

boomerangben

Visit site
At least a leisure user wouldn’t have a diver feeding polyprop into the thrusters 😬🤪.
I’ve never tried but watched the pros on construction jobs and they look a bitch to fly

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I had a look at these in Hong Kong last year (reputable brands), and rapidly concluded that they would be useless in typical UK waters. They MIGHT be OK on the West Coast of Scotland, where the water is often pretty clear, but any tidal current would render them useless. Their diving range is pretty limited, as well.

Refueler

Visit site
I had a look at these in Hong Kong last year (reputable brands), and rapidly concluded that they would be useless in typical UK waters. They MIGHT be OK on the West Coast of Scotland, where the water is often pretty clear, but any tidal current would render them useless. Their diving range is pretty limited, as well.

I think for our use as diagnostic / investigative tool for props etc. - depth is not an issue ... in fact if they can really go 100ft or so - surely that's more than enough ..

My concern, other than murky waters and camera not being able to portray good image - is speed of the ROV .. any current and that 'baby' is going to struggle ....

Its worse than airborne drones ... we have speeds up to 30 - 40mph on camera drones ... over 100mph on racing drones ... but underwater drones are very slow - despite what they try to show on sales vids.