Coll Regs Advice

davidpbo

Boatless in Cheshire. Formerly 23ft Jeanneau Tonic
myweb.tiscali.co.uk
[/ QUOTE ] assume that for a goosewinged or spinnaker-flying boat it is on starboard tack

[/ QUOTE ]

That is what I too was taught but I could clearly see their sails.

[/ QUOTE ]It is much easier for a close-hauled boat to manouver than one which is running boomed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

IMHO it depends on the situation.

I would have had to tack possibly into the side of a 3rd boat which was off Boat 2's port side and I believe in front of boat 2 or bear away which would have seen me slow down considerably right in front of boat 2.

Boat 2 would still have been in the situation of give way but as the overtaking vessel and I would have IMO contravened the coll regs by failing to maintain course and speed.

The 3rd boat may have limited Boat 2's ability to deviate to port which was what was needed without slowing down. What racing boat will do that?

What I should have done was to shout starboard earlier than I did but I have never had to shout it before.

As I said previously I probably should have done what I usually do and avoided the whole lot. I

David

l'escargot

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
Will agree "Power gives way to sail" unless you're motorsailing in the Solent/ Poole area then you ignore colregs and give way to no-one /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

[/ QUOTE ]
Exactly my point - you wouldn't have had a chance to ride your hobby horse if people had restricted their answer to the information in the original post. /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif

Mike21

Visit site
Sorry hadn't realised that was the only col reg you know, but forgot some of you lot would have been confused since he wasn't a powered vessel, /forums/images/graemlins/tongue.gif
Well since you've now learned another col reg , keep up the good work /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Phoenix of Hamble

mishapsandmemories.blogspot.com
[ QUOTE ]

I think they rely on the ultimate sanction that it is your duty as well as theirs to avoid a collision, and they try to make sure it's you who makes the move.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just a little idea for this one...... remember the boat name, find out who finished one place behind them along with which club they were racing from, and volunteer yourself as a witness for a protest under Rule 21, 'ungentlemanly conduct'. This new(ish) rule gives the Race Officer various penalty options from the normally sufficient removal of the result through to the much harsher removing the offender from the entire race series......(and IIRC in extremis, a life time ban from racing at any RYA affilliated club)...

Not a pleasant sanction, and definitely not to be used lightly, but for persistent and repeat offenders, one worth some consideration.... they are after all, by actions of the type described by Lakesailor above, putting their own, their crews, and other crews at serious risk....

If the RO isn't interested, then you are perfectly entitled to take your protest to the governing body for UK RRS, which in the case of the UK, is the RYA.

Its interesting how, as was suggested above, its always the 'middle of the field' boats that get tangled up in this stuff... the winners always seem to stay out of the action... strange that huh? /forums/images/graemlins/grin.gif

Final observation is that nothing upon nothing silences a 'middle of the fleet' racing bigot better than someone who knows the rules better than they do....

Cruiser2B

Visit site
[ QUOTE ]
I asked something similar of a yachtmaster examiner and his reply was: assume that for a goosewinged or spinnaker-flying boat it is on starboard tack. It is much easier for a close-hauled boat to manouver than one which is running boomed out.

[/ QUOTE ]

I'm surprised that an examiner would give such an incomplete answer. Goose-winged or not, if the main is carried on the starboard side, then the vessel is on a port tack by the rules. If under a spinnaker alone, and it is boomed out to stbd, I would also consider that to be a port tack by the rules. If it's not so clear, such as goose-wing with two headsails, then I agree it should be assumed to be a stbd tack. In David's case, even if you assume the offender to be on a stbd tack, he was still upwind of another vessel on a stbd tack and therefore still required to give way.

I can never resist a good discussion of the rules, so I also add that "power does not give way to sail" when the power vessel is 'not under command', 'restricted in its ability to manoeuvre', 'constrained by its draught', fishing, in a narrow channel, following an approved traffic lane, or being overtaken by the sailing vessel.

Following onto the question about whether or not the IRPCS are in effect on lakes, I would assume that you would have an Act of Parliament, that in effect adopts the IRPCS as law in Britain, and would therefore make it law on lakes and waterways not connected to the high seas. That's the way it is in Canada; since our parliamentary system is based on yours, I make the assumption. Perhaps someone can provide a definitive answer? Cheers.

Kevin