Chichester Harbour Conservatory

Cpt Splendid

Visit site
I am new here, but I wanted to post a question about the Harbour Conservatory.

I understand they are entitled to charge harbour dues and I welcome contributing.

However, last year the harbour could not be used, and many owners did not go out on their boats. Boats based in the various marinas whilst remaining in the marinas make use of none of the failities.

I realise also the Authority has various fixed costs whether people are using their boats or not.

It also seems to me there will have been savings made last year, or should have been.

I see from their accounts that they seem to be accumulating funds hand over fist. Why they need multi million pound reserves I wonder.

So, in all this I would have thought they would have shared with us all in the pain of Covid and volunteered to reduce the fees for the current year in recognition of those paid last year.

Am I being unreasonable?

RJJ

Visit site
No.

If what you say is true about accumulating reserves, then the question may be addressed to them...why? It may be that they have periodic major infrastructure costs you're not aware of...perhaps 2023 is the year they have all the buoys hauled out for a five-year inspection. Or something.

But I think it's reasonable to ask; why not ask them?

If they are pointlessly stashing loads of money then I agree it would be appropriate to return it to berthholders and other fee payers.

Mark-1

Visit site
I tend to think the Conservancy are the good guys and can be trusted.

Certainly, I wouldn't want them to hand back any portion of Harbour Dues because of a once in 100 year event. Not least because they'll be needing to spend big £££ on keeping the East Head hinge intact and battling development or there won't be a harbour as we know it.

These organizations do need to be watched though, so your question is a good one.

(All IMHO.)

northwind

Visit site
The conservancy is one of the good ones, we could end up with problems like Studland, but they have rebuffed any advances. The money goes on looking after the harbour, & its surroundings and keeps the natural beauty of the surroundings. Consider your payment as an investment in the future of the harbour. They are not a commercial business, and they have a board to answer to.

Trident

Visit site
They also had some very large EU grants

I have to say I think the Conservancy have gone too far with fee charging in recent years - charging now to use a paddle board!

However, they are unlikely to reduce fees or return anything; they exist to raise funds and then they find places to spend it to justify what they raised

My personal choice would be to hire some more people to patrol and stop all the speeding motorboats that plague the harbour

Ningaloo

Northern summers on Primal otherwise Perth WA
yacht-primal.com
I grew up in mid Sussex and learnt to sail at what was then the county owned sailing centre at chidham. The centre is still there and still has a fleet of bosun dinghies with yellow sails.
I based my first yacht at Premier in Birdham and I have been a regular visitor to the harbour over the last three seasons while I have been back in the UK.
I've also used the visitors pontoon at Itchenor for longer stays and found the harbour staff to be very helpful.
I'd agree that charging paddle boards may be a step too far but overall I think that we are fortunate to have such a beautiful resource, so well suited to sailing at all levels, and personally I don't have a problem with the harbour dues. The harbour needs maintenance regardless of the current unfortunate situation.

SailingDog

Visit site
I tend to think the Conservancy are the good guys and can be trusted.

Certainly, I wouldn't want them to hand back any portion of Harbour Dues because of a once in 100 year event. Not least because they'll be needing to spend big £££ on keeping the East Head hinge intact and battling development or there won't be a harbour as we know it.

These organizations do need to be watched though, so your question is a good one.

(All IMHO.)
I believe there has been a change in direction in protecting shorelines, the hinge has been cleared of groynes and the bushes. The high tides are beginning to breach the hinge.

Genoa

Visit site
Why is charging paddle boarders unfair? they use the slipways, or worse the natural banks which need maintaining, and last year I saw 2 being towed by harbour boats and these guys don’t charge to help. It is such a trivial amount, and it makes people think about their responsibilitIes.
I completely agree with the comment about having permanent speed enforcement at the entrance which would be good for everyones safety.

oldharry

Visit site
I believe there has been a change in direction in protecting shorelines, the hinge has been cleared of groynes and the bushes. The high tides are beginning to breach the hinge.
I was there on Wednesday - its the storms that have cleared the bushes having cut right through them at a new point of the hinge, and the East head dunes have been cut back on their side by over 100m, since I was last there pre pandemic. As to stashing £millions, there are parts of the harbour where extensive sea defences have to be maintained to protect the villages behind them, notably round Prinstead where much of the village is well below surge level in the winter. The defences give protection to 6m above datum, the last major surge was 5.7m, and overtopped in one or two non residential areas. Also Fishbourne where the Lavant runs into the harbour the seawall protects much of the S end of Chichester some of which is less then 5m above datum. Maintaining or replacing these is a major civil engineering project which the harbour board has to fund in part. Then there is the regular dredging of the Bar Channel in order to keep sufficient depth for us to use it at most states of tide, not to mention an extensive buoyage system round the harbour. All this costs money - a great deal of it. The Conservancy is unique having its own Act of Parliament giving it extensive powers and responsibilities, including coastal defence, and conservation, the latter having changed out of al recognition in the 48 years since its inception.

Although CHC fended off NE's first attempts at applying the 2009 conservation and MCZ legislation, they are squarely in the firing line for the next round of MPAs and HMPAs because of the many 'special' habitats it covers, along with Portsmouth and Langstone Harbours away from the commercial sectors. Only this time it wont be driven by single purpose pressure groups like NGM and his SHT, but by a politically powerful national conservation lobby which will have steamrollered any small group like BORG or even RYA in the first round! Things ARE going to change and change radically whether we like it or not, and not for the better as far as our sport is concerned!

SailingDog

Visit site
I was there on Wednesday - its the storms that have cleared the bushes having cut right through them at a new point of the hinge, and the East head dunes have been cut back on their side by over 100m, since I was last there pre pandemic. As to stashing £millions, there are parts of the harbour where extensive sea defences have to be maintained to protect the villages behind them, notably round Prinstead where much of the village is well below surge level in the winter. The defences give protection to 6m above datum, the last major surge was 5.7m, and overtopped in one or two non residential areas. Also Fishbourne where the Lavant runs into the harbour the seawall protects much of the S end of Chichester some of which is less then 5m above datum. Maintaining or replacing these is a major civil engineering project which the harbour board has to fund in part. Then there is the regular dredging of the Bar Channel in order to keep sufficient depth for us to use it at most states of tide, not to mention an extensive buoyage system round the harbour. All this costs money - a great deal of it. The Conservancy is unique having its own Act of Parliament giving it extensive powers and responsibilities, including coastal defence, and conservation, the latter having changed out of al recognition in the 48 years since its inception.

Although CHC fended off NE's first attempts at applying the 2009 conservation and MCZ legislation, they are squarely in the firing line for the next round of MPAs and HMPAs because of the many 'special' habitats it covers, along with Portsmouth and Langstone Harbours away from the commercial sectors. Only this time it wont be driven by single purpose pressure groups like NGM and his SHT, but by a politically powerful national conservation lobby which will have steamrollered any small group like BORG or even RYA in the first round! Things ARE going to change and change radically whether we like it or not, and not for the better as far as our sport is concerned!
A regular visitor to East head, the bushes were removed with a large excavator a few weeks ago, the groynes were removed by a team of chaps with chain saws and metal cutting equipment.

Mark-1

Visit site
Didnt make a very good job of it then..... But it does look as though they are giving up trying to protect it. The hinge Wednesday afternoon:

Its been erroded to a startling degree this winter - whole dunes on the beach have gone too. Plus the dunes on the West side of East Head have erroded back to a remarkable degree.

However, I checked in Feb when I was last down there and they *are* going to defend the hinge, it will not be allowed to break through.

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
However, I checked in Feb when I was last down there and they *are* going to defend the hinge, it will not be allowed to break through.
Mother nature might have other ideas.

Several years ago they spent weeks dredging sand from the mouth of the Exe and "built" Dawlish Warren back up. Then one dark and stormy mother nature thew a hoolie and all that hard work was removed. Don't get me going about the sea wall at Dawlish and railways.

LadyInBed

montymariner.co.uk
I chose not to pay Poole Harbour dues last year as I could see that the boat wouldn't be leaving the river. The EA who control the river and moorings give you the option to allow them to collect Poole Harbour dues or for you to pay them direct to the Poole Harbour Commission.