Cabin fire extinguisher. How many/what size?

Keith-i

Visit site
My current extinguishers are now quite out of date but before I replace them on a like for like basis where will I find some guidance on how many I should have, what size they should be and where they should be mounted. This is for cabin and galley areas rather than engine room.

Martin_J

Visit site
You're probably not racing but it's the Offshore Regulations that I always turn to first as a good example of what's needed for anything safety related..

If your sailing is in an area similar to where you'd sail on the Fastnet race for example then just click on the OSR Monohull Category 2 extract (at the link below) and scroll down to section 4.05 on firefighting.

https://www.sailing.org/inside-world-sailing/rules-regulations/offshore-special-regulations/

If you're staying closer to land then look at the Category 3 list.

It's a start at least... It did mean that I updated all my 1kg extinguishers to 2kg and if your insurance company asks, at least you can point to something in writing rather than just saying that you've got the type that somebody on an internet forum suggested.

Martin_J

Visit site
I must admit it doesn't mention anything automatic for the engine space but there seems to be a fairly limited choice when it comes to automatic halon-raplacement extinguishers.

geem

Visit site
I look at it like this. If you are in the galley you need a fire extinguisher if there is fire. Probably a decent size one. If you are in the front cabin you might need one to fight a fire. Ditto the back cabin so that's three so far. The galley could use a fire blanket as well as an extinguisher. Engine room gets an automatic.
The companionway gets one next to the steps. It does the saloon, a fire outside or if you are in the cockpit, something you can grab to fight a fire below. Size wise I would say as large as practical. Mine are 2kg

Shanty

Visit site
My current extinguishers are now quite out of date but before I replace them on a like for like basis where will I find some guidance on how many I should have, what size they should be and where they should be mounted. This is for cabin and galley areas rather than engine room.
Many years ago the RYA produced a publication called "Boat Safety Handbook" which, amongst other things, gave recommendations for fire extinguishers. These were varied depending on the type of sailing planned. Don't know if its still available - my copy is 20 years old.

A further thought - look at alternatives to powder extinguishers. Powder may be effective, but makes an incredible mess. Personally, I've gone for water mist extinguishers.

Martin_J

Visit site
A few years back there wasn't much else that would cover all the five fire types that dry powder would so that was pretty much the only choice in a single unit

Screenshot_20220923-162545_Samsung Internet.jpg

But then water mist came along and that covers all those five fire types and more..

FireChart-1024x879.jpg

Martin_J

Visit site
Looks like that chart above is for the Firexo extinguisher and not a water mist.

As I had initially thought, water mist only show A, B, C, F and electrical fires so not entirely correct to say they are equivalent to dry powder if they miss off Class D fires.

Screenshot_20220923-163549_Samsung Internet.jpg

rotrax

South Oxon, Littlehampton and Wellington, NZ.
Visit site
I recently purchased and installed four 2 litre 'Firexo' extinguishers. One in each of our two cabins, one in the galley by the internal steps and one in the pilothouse. The one in the guest cabin doubles as the engine room one as the engine is under a bunk.

Firexo liquid extinguishers are suitable for all fires.

From Amazon Prime, under 90 quid the four.

You need to be handy as the brackets are not suitable for boats.

wully1

Visit site
Try using a dry powder in a boat…not fun and the power won’t do your respiratory system much good.

The table above gives a big Red Cross to using foam on oils? Really?

I don’t have much in the way of flammable metals on board and only have a 12 volt system. If I have a gas leak burning inside I’d want the gas isolated before I tried to put out the flames - not clever to put out the fire when the gas is still leaking….
So foam wins for me.

I have powder and foam aboard plus a fire blanket. In the hopefully never to happen instance of a fire on board option No.I for me is foam by a mile.

( you can also put out oil fires with water, not the best option but it might be the only one you have. A fine spray of water is best, some distance, confidence and patience are required….)

Martin_J

Visit site
I know water mist gets mentioned but am I right in thinking that you need a 6litre water mist to achieve the same extinguishing capability as a 2kg dry powder... i.e the 13A rating... and a heck of a lot bigger if you want an equivlent B rating (flammable liquids)..

dry powder.JPG

water mist.JPG

Martin_J

Visit site
Firexo starting to look good for class A fires (2 Litre needed to be equivalent to 2kg dry powder) but I can't find their ratings for other classes of fire.

firezo.JPG

Keith-i

Visit site
Thanks for all the info and thoughts. I've since found some info produced by the RYA which suggest 2 extinguishers for a vessel between 7m and 11m with a combined rating of 13A/89B. I think a 1kg & 2kg dry powder will meet my needs. One near the galley/forward berth and the larger one by the cockpit door (motorboat).

Sandy

duckduckgo.com
Thanks for all the info and thoughts. I've since found some info produced by the RYA which suggest 2 extinguishers for a vessel between 7m and 11m with a combined rating of 13A/89B. I think a 1kg & 2kg dry powder will meet my needs. One near the galley/forward berth and the larger one by the cockpit door (motorboat).
REALLY what do the RYA know? Two extinguishers for a vessel up to 11 metres. Makes no sense what so ever. One per cabin plus a larger one should you have a fire in the engine compartment. If you use both up very quickly you are into buckets of water. What happens when you are in part of the boat on the 'wrong side' of the fire to your nearest extinguisher?

Water Mist is the way to go.

Well worth a view.

Martin_J

Visit site
And then whichever you get, let the crew know where they are (and how they're used) as part of their induction talk each time they step on board...

And maybe draw up a few diagrams showing where all the safety kit is and put them somewhere visible so that perhaps when they're eating or taking a pee they can remind themselves..

20220923_180910.jpg

Martin_J

Visit site
And whilst you're all in the safety mindset and at the computer, draw up a diagram showing all the holes through the hull... (and display on the same prominent places)..

20220923_180924.jpg

jdc

Visit site
This spring I replaced all my extinguishers, which had all been dry powder, and replaced the engine and machinery spaces with automatic Halon replacements, and the cabins with manually operated water mist extinguishers.

The reason was that, while dry powder is undoubtedly effective, it's a nuclear option so I'd be very reluctant to set one off. Mess everywhere, probably kills the engine (certainly the generator as it doesn't have that good an air filter), nigh impossible to breathe and totally impossible to see anything once it's let off. Really not good if the yacht is your home, or if you're 1000 miles from land.

So, on balance, I felt that the lower risk was water mist. I'm quite prepared to let that off early and it will probably not impair my capacity to function and think during the emergency. That it doesn't work so well on potassium fires doesn't seem so important!

Last edited:

Baddox

Visit site
Interesting discussion. The water mist system looks very appealing as it not only fights fires and it can supress smoke and has no inhalation risk. Are they OK in a frosty environment tthough or are they only suitable for fair weather?

We have 5 extinguishers on a 10m boat. 2 are automatic extinguishers, one in the engine bay and a second above the erber' heater that’s tucked away in the transom.
There is a foam and a powder extinguisher together in the saloon, a fire blanket in the galley and another powder extinguisher in a cockpit locker.

How do people dispose of the old extinguishers? Most are simple to discharge and render safe, except for powder which gets very messy.

Keith-i

Visit site
Firexo starting to look good for class A fires (2 Litre needed to be equivalent to 2kg dry powder) but I can't find their ratings for other classes of fire.
Looks like it is 13A/34B/C/D/E/25F.

Take a look at the new Fire Safety Sticks - work on all types of fire, last much longer in terms of extinguishing flow and don't need servicing in the same way.
I like the idea but I'm struggling to find any rating for them.

Attachments

• Firexo.jpg
    Firexo.jpg
    193 KB · Views: 8
Last edited: