Brighton Marina Liveaboards

dankilb

Visit site
People across the whole country are being told to stop living aboard at both inland and coastal marinas

Living aboard unofficially "under the radar" is now to all intents and purposes a thing of the past in most locations and the few that haven't started to strictly apply their terms and conditions and / or significantly tighten them are almost certain to follow suit

I'm certainly aware of more 'chatter' around this in the media etc., but much of that seems to stem from the activities of the CRT and EA around London.

Is there actually anything 'going on' more broadly? It would be interesting to know if anything has been written in white papers or updated advice has been issued to local government, in any form. My experience (as a planning policy researcher) suggests actions are rarely taken unless there is some policy or guidance context - even if those actions relate to enforcement of longstanding issues.

I don't doubt that pressures are high in the South East and that lockdowns have brought liveaboards to the attention of marina management more generally. But is there actually anything else going on beneath the surface?

HissyFit

Visit site
If the liveaboard community was seen as a minority, members would have the right to suitable facilities, as do the travelling community. Canal boat families could have had this distinction, but they disappeared before any legal rights were recognised.

Tranona

Visit site
Is this the reason that marinas have short term contracts, or is there some sort of legal reason they are not allowed?
Is this the reason that marinas have short term contracts, or is there some sort of legal reason they are not allowed?
Underlying legal issue. Marinas in general do not have planning permission for residential (although some, mainly inland do). They are zoned for leisure activities. However over the years many have turned a blind eye to people staying on board for more than the permitted time. Two things have brought this issue to a head. First is that some marinas are finding it attractive to convert part of their sites to holiday leisure homes which are legitimate and give them a bigger rate of return. Secondly and most importantly during Covid when authorities took much greater control over our lives they discovered this large population living in places that do not have residential approval so are putting pressure on marinas to comply with their planning conditions and construct their contracts in such a way that they preclude year round living. A little bit like the many holiday homes, lodges and so on which are limited to stays totally less than 365 days a year.

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
I'm certainly aware of more 'chatter' around this in the media etc., but much of that seems to stem from the activities of the CRT and EA around London.

Is there actually anything 'going on' more broadly? It would be interesting to know if anything has been written in white papers or updated advice has been issued to local government, in any form. My experience (as a planning policy researcher) suggests actions are rarely taken unless there is some policy or guidance context - even if those actions relate to enforcement of longstanding issues.

Yes, it is going on and it's widespread

I personally know five people at different marinas in the South, East and Scotland who have been told to stop living on their boats and numerous accounts filtering through from further afield

I have further had conversations with two marina managers who have stated that they have been threatened with enforcement action

It's possible that the heat will prove to be temporary but I would not bet on it at present

Bru

svpagan.blogspot.com
You could always try Haslar … post from this year.

View attachment 132501

9.1 The Owner must not use or permit any Boat to be used at the Marina for residential purposes without obtaining the Company’s prior written consent, which may be withheld or withdrawn at its absolute discretion or granted on such terms as it shall see fit.

So Haslar *may* permit liveaboards but then again they may not. (They presumably have planning permission for some liveaboard berths.) And zero security of tenure

It would be mildly interesting to find out their current response to a liveaboard berthing enquiry

Seastoke

Visit site
9.1 The Owner must not use or permit any Boat to be used at the Marina for residential purposes without obtaining the Company’s prior written consent, which may be withheld or withdrawn at its absolute discretion or granted on such terms as it shall see fit.

So Haslar *may* permit liveaboards but then again they may not. (They presumably have planning permission for some liveaboard berths.) And zero security of tenure

It would be mildly interesting to find out their current response to a liveaboard berthing enquiry
Phone them.