Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Re: Progress at last.

You've got a good one there if she manages a week on a 22ft boat. Is it just you and her or is Phil going too?

I’m actually very interested to see how that goes. A 22 is not a very big boat. If she survives the week, we got a Sailor.
She does want to go around the Isle of Wight and to Bournemouth/ Poole who am I to say otherwise. I did tell her it may be a little bit rough on a 22 but she insists.
I'm sooooo hoping she survives the week.
She even forced me to buy "fancy " sailing stuff... like new pants. ( apparently my Levis are old fashioned )

GregOddity

Visit site

Just think if you had invested what you have and what you think you will spend you could be sailing now without the need for a 22' caravan to tide you over.

Hehe, where would the FUN be in that? Every Dick and Tom can buy a boat and grounded it or crash it. And they do..
My FUN is making the boat that I want THEN sail it. The 22 is actually a very good decision, Phil & wife need to gain experience and that only comes with practice.

GregOddity

Visit site
A slow day.

Today we unloaded the tools and .. I hid in the shade. It was just too hot to get under the boat to grind the antifoul. So I decided to start on the insides of the beast. Pipes out, water gas etc, bought a water intake for the boat as filling a 25 litter Jerrycan in a dirty space happens not to fit with the idea of how clean the water must be for me to want to drink it. Checked wiring for the new float switch and installed a new one. Got rid of old plates and cutlery and anything from previous owner that was still in the boat.
Then.. I tried to drill stainless rivets out of the Genoa furler. That did not go well. Need Cobalt and Titanium drill bits, Carbide just broke one after the other and most of the rivets were spinning at first touch.
Two problems there, no short drill set with me, and cheap stuff. The third problem was that whoever riveted that thing, did not worry about pressing the rivets properly. Grinding it is.
The Compass.. was a botched job all the way from the previous owner. The plastic screws that go through the wall and into the back frame were actually twisted out of alignment by quite a BIG margin. Had to take the all thing off to even get the power wiring that was trapped under it.
But hey the joys of sailing are always giving.
KtRK56C.jpg

And THIS is why we all do it.

2YcblHA.jpg

Spyro

Visit site

I’m actually very interested to see how that goes. A 22 is not a very big boat. If she survives the week, we got a Sailor.
She does want to go around the Isle of Wight and to Bournemouth/ Poole who am I to say otherwise. I did tell her it may be a little bit rough on a 22 but she insists.
I'm sooooo hoping she survives the week.
She even forced me to buy "fancy " sailing stuff... like new pants. ( apparently my Levis are old fashioned )
I wasn't thinking about it being rough unless you mean roughing it:). Women tend to take up a lot of space with all that stuff that just ...well, .takes up space. On the learning and getting experience. I just don't follow your logic. You have bought one boat that you are doing up presumably when that's done they could learn and gain experience on that but now you've gone and bought another that needs doing up so they can learn on that. Send them off on a course for a week and you get on with the work, that would make much more sense.

GregOddity

Visit site

I wasn't thinking about it being rough unless you mean roughing it:). Women tend to take up a lot of space with all that stuff that just ...well, .takes up space. On the learning and getting experience. I just don't follow your logic. You have bought one boat that you are doing up presumably when that's done they could learn and gain experience on that but now you've gone and bought another that needs doing up so they can learn on that. Send them off on a course for a week and you get on with the work, that would make much more sense.

Yeah I see where you coming from and I been there myself. She has been instructed that only ONE 90 litter sailing bag is allowed for her. As that can be stowed under the double berth. The second comes as a necessity so we can advance the work on Oddity without having to rig some makeshift cabin and sleep with a roll of fiberglass weave as a pillow. But it is also where life gets complicated and you need to allow some latitude. The wife feels she needs to start on a small boat and as we bought this one she declared it a learning vessel, I think it has to do with the fact that as oddity is out of the water she looks huge and is one of the bigger yachts at our Marina, that and the fact that most boats at our marina are around the 20 foot range and bilge keel. If it was on the water I think the effect would not have been the same but I’m happy to oblige even if it means the delay and expense we had so far. Having her sail WITH me is the objective. She therefore must enjoy it and if I can help that process it is well worth the time and expense. She also wants to go on a course, but only after she learns the basics from me. I can’t fault her reasoning on that. I nevertheless will have her do official courses as well. But gently.
To be honest, we could just have washed Selkie and apply a tiller and sail her. But having said that, as we saw how good she was my wife and Phil decided that it would be a good boat for gaining more experience, which meant that I had to inspect her through and trough and get her to her best as I would not have my wife or Phil sail in anything that I would not trust 100%. If a wife IS excited about going sailing, me?? I just do my very best to keep her in that mood.

GregOddity

Visit site
Oddity project status.

We’ve been asked a few times where we are and what are we going to decide on some of the options for Oddity. It’s not a secret so here you have it all or most of it. There are a couple of things I may unintentionally have left off
So far all told when we priced it. We would come to £ 16.769.23

SV Oddity
Ongoing projects in Planning.

Bow and stern thruster units of the shelf industrial parts.
Command unit for Bow and stern Thrusters with auto mode and emergency lateral mode collision avoidance with integrated camera and software. (all of shelf parts) software open license.
3 Rasp Pi dedicated units. 4 high def of the shelf cams.
Electric propulsion or diesel electric propulsion 75 HP (marinized engine) EMISSION are important for us. No wish for an overpriced and underperforming engine with overpriced spares. You can find a car mech anywhere in the world but not a tractor mech. The propulsion WILL be Diesel Electric.
Navigation System Open CPN
Steering by cable, Oversized auto pilot for 50 footer
Ongoing discussion on stove, electric v gas. Undecided. Electric seems to be slightly ahead on most points.
Steering wheel in cockpit, not on cabin cockpit wall, In discussion is a second smaller wheel inside. We do have the space and configuration for it.
Alteration to the roof of stern cabin with a stainless teak deck platform flush with the protruding hatch (to be altered to an escape hatch)
Marine whippers on cabin port and stern windows the centre is covered mostly by the view of the mast.
Internal bulkhead forward to be altered to vertical plane. Chain and anchor locker to be changed to a V configuration with single hatch opening to Port. Windlass to be altered to middle of the hatch. (chain needs to fall free not against a sliding wall)
Bathing platform to be added.
A frame for solar to be added on stern with davits for dinghy.
Cabin door still with position undecided. (tending to starboard as opposed to centre)
Steering pulpit to be fabricated with instrument pad for direct controls of the vessel including power at hand reach.
Fridge to be manufactured in stainless steel drawers (thin Plate) to fit space.
Diesel tank to be manufactured in Stainless plate (3mm)
No wood on the outside, rubbing streak to be changed for Flexy teak or rubber. Grab rails Stainless with square round corner flat pipe.
Cleats to be repositioned
Propeller. no Idea. (yet) Probably not folding as we want power generation. Which we happily trade for a knot.
ALL items in METRIC, all navigation in METRIC.
Chain plates. Under development as we want to oversize the mast about 1m.
Insulation, closed cell foam mats.

And that’s where we are at the moment. A lot of searching for suppliers and a lot of hours on the phone, and on the car visiting all possible alternatives and pricing. Searching for bargains we accumulated already a plough anchor some running rigging, we have a lead on some fully battened sails, most of the cabling most of the pipping, some of the wood for the inside a bit of insulation, a set of cutlery ( a gift ) and a set of dinner plates and the all shebang. ( we can’t sail her yet, but we can eat)

There you go with our list of priorities. Yes.. I know, its taking longer then expected. But the money is short so we have to look hard and bargain even harder. Some of the things we aim to achieve need proper planning and research as well.

The Oddity Crew of Lunatics.

Last edited:
Visit site
Re: Oddity project status.

I still think using a land rover 200/300tdi engine is an option for your ideas. They have a good rear bellhousing flange with a ring of bolts making adaptor plates easy. They are simple and tough, spares very cheap and available in every corner of the world. Not as heavy as people like to think they are either. It is also easy to use the power steering pump for whatever hydraulic applications you might have, and easy to add more alternators/generator if you want to. If you want to come and have a look at and a measure of one, give me a shout.

Visit site

With Karen's stuff, and the very limited space on our old 24 ft yacht, she has a clothing rail and box in one of my workshops, which has the extra "just in case" stuff here to hand, so she can just grab what she actually needs for the trip and put that on board. It has reduced the amount of gear we have to bring when we go out, the only lugging now are the essential food and drinks. You could do the same with leaving some stuff on the colvic I guess? The "mess/clutter" of clothes in the boat was a huge bone of contention before we agreed this compromise. ;)

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I still think using a land rover 200/300tdi engine is an option for your ideas. They have a good rear bellhousing flange with a ring of bolts making adaptor plates easy. They are simple and tough, spares very cheap and available in every corner of the world. Not as heavy as people like to think they are either. It is also easy to use the power steering pump for whatever hydraulic applications you might have, and easy to add more alternators/generator if you want to. If you want to come and have a look at and a measure of one, give me a shout.

I still think you are way off with this idea Mark.

Not heavy ? They weigh about 270kg. Peugeot XUD9 is just 136kg.

Plenty of Landy parts for them, but who makes marinising bits ? XUD9's were marinised.

But, talk of diesel electric hybrids in an old old Colvic make the discussion academic.

pvb

Visit site

But, talk of diesel electric hybrids in an old old Colvic make the discussion academic.

Never mind diesel electric hybrids, what about the "Bow and stern Thrusters with auto mode and emergency lateral mode collision avoidance with integrated camera and software."?

Visit site

I still think you are way off with this idea Mark.

Not heavy ? They weigh about 270kg. Peugeot XUD9 is just 136kg.

Plenty of Landy parts for them, but who makes marinising bits ? XUD9's were marinised.

Yes, you are right about the weight, but the land rover is near double the horsepower, cheap and easy to fix. It kind of fits the Oddity OTT ethos. Pie in the sky should have a green oval involved somewhere. ;) Greg may be Quixotic in his quest, but what's wrong with tilting at windmills, he may yet prove us all wrong...

GregOddity

Visit site

Never mind diesel electric hybrids, what about the "Bow and stern Thrusters with auto mode and emergency lateral mode collision avoidance with integrated camera and software."?
My brother is a radar engineer with more diplomas then a wall can take. Trained in TACAM at Plessey, NATO Radar, F16's P3 Orion and other Aircraft. etc etc etc. That’s his pet project and actually not too difficult or expensive to achieve. Most have a simpler version on the car they drive. It just beeps, but the signal can be converted to the thrusters. You can also do it with a camera. Most products you carry on your person or at home were manufactured with precision cameras for positioning. Your car. Etc. Cam allows for positioning from all sides so you don’t move out of one and crash into another. Simple software. Buses you drive on have more complicated software for VOIP .

Back to working for me.

PS- You need to start a comment like that in a different way. “ well I foresee technical difficulties” or “is there software readily available that can do that? “ “ what about the (this or that) “
That way it actually profits everyone and helps spot anything we may have missed or misjudged.

Last edited: