Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Spyro

Visit site
Re: The SV Selkie from the Oddity Atlantic Expedition.

Wise words Tranona, I like the dates but were going to disappoint you and do it sooner.
But you are right and that is also behind the thinking that lead us to buy the second boat.
It’s in pretty good nick for its age and a perfect subject to introduce Phil to more sailing and the intricacies of owning a boat and how to keep up with it. Phil has done the sailing qualifications but still feels like a fish out of water. A 22 “ is the perfect boat for him to gain experience and confidence from mooring to docking and sailing. Repairs on it are mainly superficial and the rigging easy enough for him to have a good go and understand the ins and outs of the whole thing.
And it’s better and was cheaper then a caravan.

It's all time spent away from the main project and you can stand up in a caravan :)

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site

Being a bit dry around the Gills im looking forward to sailing on our new acquisition. apart from the courses i've taken i've not had a chance to accrue any miles so Selkie should be just what i need to build confidence and experience. Standing in the cockpit of Oddity making whooshing wind noises doesnt seem to have the same effect somehow.

Have fun. The Solent is particularly suited to small boat sailing so there's a few less-frequented places you can visit that bigger boats can't or don't often.

PhilOddity

Visit site

It's all time spent away from the main project.

At the moment the main project is not in a fit condition to be slept in due to fibreglass particles / fumes, dampness and lack of structurally strong stringers / suitable flooring couple that with the commute to and from London every day the current timeframe is being eaten up in commuting and coping with the volume of traffic. doing this is saving at least 28 hours a week in travelling. which gives way for a bit of sailing time whilst the resin is curing now and again. it cant be all work and no play...wheres the fun in that ??

PhilOddity

Visit site

Have fun. The Solent is particularly suited to small boat sailing so there's a few less-frequented places you can visit that bigger boats can't or don't often.

Do you have any suggestions that we can look into at all as I am still really new to all this and still finding my feet. Any overnight mooring etc would be especially helpful as im planning to do some night sailing as well. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited:
Visit site

Guys, may I humbly suggest not turning the "new" boat in to a major project. If you can just use it as it is, then relax and do so. Explore the Solent. You know it makes sense Rodney.
We are hoping to be in your neck of the woods this weekend for the Trident rally.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

Guys, may I humbly suggest not turning the "new" boat in to a major project. If you can just use it as it is, then relax and do so. Explore the Solent. You know it makes sense Rodney.
We are hoping to be in your neck of the woods this weekend for the Trident rally.

Suggestion more than accepted, the boat is coming out just to do a proper hull inspection and antifouling as we can't wait to be confused with Smurfs, it will also have a survey, and the mast coming down is just to replace wiring that since the antenna and a couple of things are not connected at the top. BUT it needs to be in the water in max 2 weeks if not before. I’m thinking WEEK but I’m allowing for 2.
Sailing it is also very much in my mind as being a dry sailor is against my beliefs. And the Solent is a beautiful place for Phil to learn.

Visit site

I had a bit of a lesson myself today in sail tuning. Self taught as we are is all fine, but a half hour conversation today, and some practical application has taken us to the next level of awareness and efficiency with the rig. I hope Phil has as much fun learning as we have had, and continue to have. Out of the last 240 or so days, we have got out on the water for over 100. No substitute for experience, and being on the Solent lends itself to getting out lots. We have a 14 foot dinghy on a trailer here if you want to maximise your teaching opportunities, borrow it for as long as you want if it is of any use.

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site

Do you have any suggestions that we can look into at all as I am still really new to all this and still finding my feet. Any overnight mooring etc would be especially helpful as im planning to do some night sailing as well. Any suggestions you can give would be greatly appreciated.

Basically any creek or inlet away from the herd. Places like Bembridge, Ryde, Wooten Creek, further up the Medina than the main marinas. Yarmouth used to have a pontoon for <30' boats but I suspect that has changed. It's a while since I was a regular Solent sailor so a good idea to start a separate thread with that question. A pilot book would also give you hours of fun contemplating where you could go.

Don't rush into night sailing in the Solent. It's a place that is both easy and difficult to sail at night. Easy because just about everything is marked. Difficult because all the lights could give you information overload if you don't keep on top of your nav.

GregOddity

Visit site

I had a bit of a lesson myself today in sail tuning. Self taught as we are is all fine, but a half hour conversation today, and some practical application has taken us to the next level of awareness and efficiency with the rig. I hope Phil has as much fun learning as we have had, and continue to have.

I hear you. But you do have to start somewhere, so Phil is going to look it up, talk to people and we do know a rigger that he can ask, and that’s one of the best ways to learn and gain confidence. I let him discover how to do it and only help if he gets stuck. Rigging is one thing that he has been reading quite a lot about so now its time for him to put into practice. He's enjoying himself, sometimes it blows on his face but hes getting better

Visit site

this learning to sail thing has utterly changed my life, i hope Phil gets as much out of it as we have. :encouragement:

GregOddity

Visit site

this learning to sail thing has utterly changed my life, i hope Phil gets as much out of it as we have. :encouragement:[/QUOTE

Yes, sailing has the power to change you as a person. In Phil’s case, it has not only changed his life, it has saved his life. 2 years ago, even the thought of being able to stand on a sailboat was as farfetched as unreal, for medical reasons. Now? he's a "new" person.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Basically any creek or inlet away from the herd. Places like Bembridge, Ryde, Wooten Creek, further up the Medina than the main marinas. Yarmouth used to have a pontoon for <30' boats but I suspect that has changed. It's a while since I was a regular Solent sailor so a good idea to start a separate thread with that question. A pilot book would also give you hours of fun contemplating where you could go.

Don't rush into night sailing in the Solent. It's a place that is both easy and difficult to sail at night. Easy because just about everything is marked. Difficult because all the lights could give you information overload if you don't keep on top of your nav.

i think i might invest in starting a new thread. As for negotiating the solent at night ive had that wonderful experience when i did my Day Skipper practical. we did a night sail from portsmouth to east cowes in early February.. loved every cold and wet minute of it but did get a bit overloaded with all the lights

lpdsn

Visit site

loved every cold and wet minute of it but did get a bit overloaded with all the lights

Planning is the key. Experience teaches you how much or how little is appropriate but in the meantime better to overplan than underplan. Racing taught me the useful technique of laminated plans so they're usuable in the cockpit - you're stuck on the stern as a racing naviguesser and hatch rat nav doesn't inspire confidence so it's not as easy to check the chart as when cruising.

fredrussell

Visit site

Agreed. I think generally people usually get the survey done before purchasing the boat. It’s a cheap boat - just put it in the water and use it.

GregOddity

Visit site

Yeah were not worrying too much about the survey, for now the boat will be made water ready and go sailing. After Oddity is finished we'll probably spruce it up and have a proper survey done. Now is mostly about insurance.

She came out yesterday, scariest thing I ever saw, had to sail her without tiller with Phil using a pair locking plier as a make do tiller and the dinghy tied up to the side to move her around half a mile between boats to the place where she was lifted. It worked fine, UNTIL the wind showed up and turned it all into a memorable experience never to be repeated. Amazingly we did not crash into any boats and managed even to do a very gracious mooring while a few onlookers clapped in admiration after preparing to run for their life’s a few minutes before. I kid you not, WIND, always comes when you don’t need it, is always on the wrong side and never when you need.

GregOddity

Visit site
The "Fleet"

The “Fleet”
There’s something to be said about managing a fleet of vessels even if that’s only two, running around like a headless chicken from one to the other and where is that tool and that tarp?
But as time is the great equalizer after a hellish week, we fell into a routine that seems to work for us and things started progressing.
We lifted Selkie out of the water, which was something interesting that I have no whish of repeating anytime in the near future as per our calendar, we did not have time to procure a tiller, besides the fact we also need to have a clamp block fabricated for the rudder shaft as that is missing. So we bravely ( read dumbly ) moved her out of her berth with the dinghy tied to her side and it worked like a charm, until we turned a corner and the wind arrived… Hindsight is such a beautiful thing, it allows you to see all your mistakes so clearly, well, the wind had me scramble like a lunatic trying to untie the lines so I could use the bow line to pull her. It was a beauty of a thing, no damage and no crashes but a lot of Dock sailors laughing at us ( with good reason I may add ) No wind to gusting 15 kn close quarters. (NOTE TO SELF: Do NOT repeat) Of course valiant Captain Phil was at the helm this all time shouting port and starboard and trying to steer with a pair of Self Grip Pliers that just gave up with the wind moving Selkie every other way and the rudder with it, but hey, we all have to learn that we should not do stupid things like towing a light sailboat with high windage in close quarters and expecting to get away with it.
Since then ( and we are drinking just to forget off course ) we’ve been furiously doing a electrical refit, instruments refit, sail repairs (just stitching) grinding the keels and old failed antifoul. We’re well on the way to have her back on the water sometime around the 10th July shinning like a star.

qdbcw1J.jpg

0MTF6Mn.jpg

Ngq4sND.jpg

PAyGXEC.jpg

Phil in full work mode with 30 Celcius temp.
amdhjZm.jpg

My Minions at work (Brother)
7Ywvpx4.jpg

WHAT were they thinking ???
q2yYR1C.jpg

nSyKiKF.jpg

Grind and a little weld here and there repair. Ready for final grind and paint.
onubRMJ.jpg

The MISSING GATE
yxHduIE.jpg

Last edited:

Spyro

Visit site
Re: The "Fleet"

Halfway into the 6 month build now. I just don't get it, live on the little one on the hard if you must but you are just wasting time with the stuff you are doing to Selkie and not doing to Oddity. Do you have a rivised timescale?
The bystanders may well have been laughing but that might be down to the fact they didn't have a boat near you. Hindsight may well be a beautiful thing but one thing I've learned is foresight is a lot more useful.

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
Re: The "Fleet"

Halfway into the 6 month build now. I just don't get it, live on the little one on the hard if you must but you are just wasting time with the stuff you are doing to Selkie and not doing to Oddity. Do you have a rivised timescale?
The bystanders may well have been laughing but that might be down to the fact they didn't have a boat near you.

Yeah if they had, they would not have found it funny. The timescale has drifted a bit as I keep getting asked to do repairs in other boats and that takes a time away but does bring in a bit of money for a better this or that for Oddity. I guess I will see in about a month, by then I will have a more accurate and realistic timescale to work on. I have to think of Phil’s health and wellbeing and the driving and carting tools back and forth is taking a toll. Having Selkie on site is going to help with that and will speed things up but I need to see how the work progresses with us on site to be able to make a proper estimate.
I can’t really say no to TIG welding or instrumentation little jobs that come my way, Plan B has not worked so far (Lotto) And we would like to get Oddity as good as we can which is hard with the monies we work with. But we Keep Calm and Carry On.