Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

PaulRainbow

Visit site
Taller mast and longer boom and SMALlER genoa plus a cruising chute on a retractable bowsprit is the way to go.

Large overlapping Genoas are very last century with very good reason. They were a racing fashion because the overlap was not rated, but you find boats go better to windward with smaller headsails than the full size plus tacking is a Pita with overlapping sails which need big winches to wind them in. i have just changed boats from one with a 125% overlap to a 106% and the difference is a revelation. you have the opportunity to maintain or increase the sail area with a taller mast and longer boom (but don't make it too long). You need to talk to a really good sailmaker about redesigning the rig along those lines.

Of course to do it with all new gear will devour your £20k budget easily!

Mine came with a 170% genoa, nearly reach the transom ! Local sailmaker agreed it was too big and suggested a 140%. It works really well, very well balanced and not too hard to tack, even with a baby stay.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Extending sail area aft moves CE aft and can lead to weather helm. that is why you need somebody who knows about these things to do the sums to get the balance right. I would imagine the boat is fairly tolerant of changes as it was designed with a ketch as an alternative with the same mainmast position, but as you have a blank sheet of paper except the mast and forestay position better to do the sums than buy all the gear and find out it is wrong.

Ho yeah absolutely, this was our first foray yesterday looking at the rigging and getting our ducks in a row about what we’re aiming for. I'm not going to do it myself, I'm going to have someone look at it that knows what he’s doing as opposed to me trying to calculate it without an in-depth understanding of the pitfalls associated with a taller rig with extended boom.
I am off course going to try and calculate it myself to improve my understanding of what we want or what we expect from it. But this is something I consider the need to be done by someone with a professional understanding of the matter and the training and experience I lack.

GregOddity

Visit site
The SV Selkie from the Oddity Atlantic Expedition.

One day, I woke up and realised I’m no longer 18, old body needs more then a night sleep to recover and carting tools up and down Oddity then to the car and to the house and to the car and to Oddity… This is taking a toll on us and the available time we have to work on Oddity. Going down the to Thornham everyday with the traffic and everything else means 3 hours of travel time per day and an arrival mid to late morning at Oddity plus a very late supper by the time we arrive back home.
So a lot of people suggested we buy a caravan, which in principle is a good suggestion and would perhaps even absorb the cost of fuel from the daily commute.
To be honest there are those who think we do not listen or don’t want to listen, but we do, I do and Phil does.
And to prove we LISTEN, we thought about it and did just what we’ve been counselled to do.
So, we bought a NEW boat. She’s going to be baptised Selkie, on request of my wife (she threatened me) and that’s where were going to sleep a couple of nights a week while were working on Oddity, we’re also going to sail her around off course.
And for those who were wondering, we’ve been busy bees, looking at boats for auction on eBay before we buy and I had to help a friend deliver his boat to Southampton. Sorry for the hiatus.

She's a 22" Newbridge Venturer form year unknown and thats all we know.
7fyZ9aA.jpg

bCMN254.jpg

yFEzHFs.jpg

it4gisW.jpg

sBTak3y.jpg

FjVVsAm.jpg

Last edited:

lpdsn

Visit site
Re: The SV Selkie from the Oddity Atlantic Expedition.

So, we bought a NEW boat. She’s going to be baptised Selkie, on request of my wife (she threatened me) and that’s where were going to sleep a couple of nights a week while were working on Oddity, we’re also going to sail her around off course.
And for those who were wondering, we’ve been busy bees, looking at boats for auction on eBay before we buy and I had to help a friend deliver his boat to Southampton. Sorry for the hiatus.

All you need now is to be able to sell Oddity on eBay for a profit and you're sorted. :)

GregOddity

Visit site

All you need now is to be able to sell Oddity on eBay for a profit and you're sorted. :)

hehe I just knew it :p
we already had 2 offers at a proffit, but Oddity is NOT for sale. The survey showed a very sturdy boat were very happy with the project :)

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site

The “Plan” for SV Selkie,
Before we got her, we inspected her the day before. Visually she seems in very fine state for a boat age unknown but with a main that shows signs of good usage, she’s very dry, a bit of moisture only in some clothing left for the last 3 years on a locker under the main berth against the hull, windows show no signs of leaks and amazingly there was just a little spot of mould on the head liner on the forward double berth. Toilet in good working condition, electrics will need to be properly checked but the nice surprise was to find all wiring labelled. One battery is showing 1.5 v the other 12.5v, there is a small solar cell looking the worst for wear but that I assume is trickling some charge still as the boat has been there for 3 years untouched. (we were told, I take everything with a pinch of salt)
The sails are in good working order with the main showing a bit more age, the genoa looks pretty good and the UV strip is in good order.
Running rigging has some “new “lines that seem to need just a wash but for precaution were still going to renew all lines. We changed the old mooring lines for new ones as we paid for her.
The mast and boom look fine, no bends cracks or otherwise anything needing attention to the exception of the gate that is missing and they used black tape and a knife ( I kid you not )
The rigging looks fine but slightly under tensioned.
There’s a little damage to the port side where something impacted one of the stanchions and bent it slightly.
There’s a well for an outboard that needs a proper look but seems ok on first impressions.
There’s also a stern bracket for outboard needing some screws as they mounted it with only half the screws (Insert puzzled here)
The equipment is reduced to quite a few transducers that I have as of yet no idea what they should read, it has a depth readout screen and a compass and that’s it.
The stove is an antique, considering whether to buy new one or salvage this Tilley Talisman relic. Hose was past its due date and showying signs of advanced cracking melting decomposing etc bit of rust on the inside of the stove etc etc.
She also needs a tiller as we only found an old ply, looking very sorrowful and no bracket but im going to improvise so we can move her to be lifted.
She’s going to be lifted and get an overall general clean and polish till she's SHINY, with the mast down so we can change all wiring and running rigging. While ashore were checking all wiring, replacing some that looks ok but old, (i.e. Battery cabling needs to be top spec) Installing a new antenna and new radio and checking the hull, rudder and keels. Etc etc plus adding a couple of pillows my wife decided we should have.
Then after this is done, one to two weeks on the hard, she’s going to be sailed to Thornam marina where a dredged berth awaits her.

Last edited:

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

That timetable is going to slip a little. Enjoy the new boat for a few years and take your time with Oddity.:encouragement:

GregOddity

Visit site

That timetable is going to slip a little. Enjoy the new boat for a few years and take your time with Oddity.:encouragement:

She’s coming out tomorrow, tides are not optimal this week timewise, mast on Wednesday, I've got my "minions" ready for a fast turnaround. Surprises will be handled on Thornam as to not delay anything. It will slip but by a day or two. ( hehe I'll probably remember this statement )

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

She’s coming out tomorrow, tides are not optimal this week timewise, mast on Wednesday, I've got my "minions" ready for a fast turnaround. Surprises will be handled on Thornam as to not delay anything. It will slip but by a day or two. ( hehe I'll probably remember this statement )

I am certain a few of us on here will.:D

dancrane

Visit site

P'raps you could fit the Venturer's nicely finished cabin under the Countess's deck?

Tranona

Visit site

The “Plan” for SV Selkie,
Before we got her, we inspected her the day before. Visually she seems in very fine state for a boat age unknown but with a main that shows signs of good usage, she’s very dry, a bit of moisture only in some clothing left for the last 3 years on a locker under the main berth against the hull, windows show no signs of leaks and amazingly there was just a little spot of mould on the head liner on the forward double berth. Toilet in good working condition, electrics will need to be properly checked but the nice surprise was to find all wiring labelled. One battery is showing 1.5 v the other 12.5v, there is a small solar cell looking the worst for wear but that I assume is trickling some charge still as the boat has been there for 3 years untouched. (we were told, I take everything with a pinch of salt)
The sails are in good working order with the main showing a bit more age, the genoa looks pretty good and the UV strip is in good order.
Running rigging has some “new “lines that seem to need just a wash but for precaution were still going to renew all lines. We changed the old mooring lines for new ones as we paid for her.
The mast and boom look fine, no bends cracks or otherwise anything needing attention to the exception of the gate that is missing and they used black tape and a knife ( I kid you not )
The rigging looks fine but slightly under tensioned.
There’s a little damage to the port side where something impacted one of the stanchions and bent it slightly.
There’s a well for an outboard that needs a proper look but seems ok on first impressions.
There’s also a stern bracket for outboard needing some screws as they mounted it with only half the screws (Insert puzzled here)
The equipment is reduced to quite a few transducers that I have as of yet no idea what they should read, it has a depth readout screen and a compass and that’s it.
The stove is an antique, considering whether to buy new one or salvage this Tilley Talisman relic. Hose was past its due date and showying signs of advanced cracking melting decomposing etc bit of rust on the inside of the stove etc etc.
She also needs a tiller as we only found an old ply, looking very sorrowful and no bracket but im going to improvise so we can move her to be lifted.
She’s going to be lifted and get an overall general clean and polish till she's SHINY, with the mast down so we can change all wiring and running rigging. While ashore were checking all wiring, replacing some that looks ok but old, (i.e. Battery cabling needs to be top spec) Installing a new antenna and new radio and checking the hull, rudder and keels. Etc etc plus adding a couple of pillows my wife decided we should have.
Then after this is done, one to two weeks on the hard, she’s going to be sailed to Thornam marina where a dredged berth awaits her.

Keep a copy of this posted where you can see it every day.

You are about to discover how much time even a simple boat like you have just bought is going to eat up - and how little time you will have left for the big project.

Owning two boats is madness, particularly an old one which needs constant work to keep it running and one that is less than 20% complete. I have reserved a few dates in early 2025 for your launching party and a few more in mid 2026 for your first sail.

GregOddity

Visit site

Keep a copy of this posted where you can see it every day.

You are about to discover how much time even a simple boat like you have just bought is going to eat up - and how little time you will have left for the big project.

Owning two boats is madness, particularly an old one which needs constant work to keep it running and one that is less than 20% complete. I have reserved a few dates in early 2025 for your launching party and a few more in mid 2026 for your first sail.

Wise words Tranona, I like the dates but were going to disappoint you and do it sooner.
But you are right and that is also behind the thinking that lead us to buy the second boat.
It’s in pretty good nick for its age and a perfect subject to introduce Phil to more sailing and the intricacies of owning a boat and how to keep up with it. Phil has done the sailing qualifications but still feels like a fish out of water. A 22 “ is the perfect boat for him to gain experience and confidence from mooring to docking and sailing. Repairs on it are mainly superficial and the rigging easy enough for him to have a good go and understand the ins and outs of the whole thing.
And it’s better and was cheaper then a caravan.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Wise words Tranona, I like the dates but were going to disappoint you and do it sooner.
But you are right and that is also behind the thinking that lead us to buy the second boat.
It’s in pretty good nick for its age and a perfect subject to introduce Phil to more sailing and the intricacies of owning a boat and how to keep up with it. Phil has done the sailing qualifications but still feels like a fish out of water. A 22 “ is the perfect boat for him to gain experience and confidence from mooring to docking and sailing. Repairs on it are mainly superficial and the rigging easy enough for him to have a good go and understand the ins and outs of the whole thing.
And it’s better and was cheaper then a caravan.

not to mention the view is nicer than from Selkie as opposed to a camper van as well :)

lpdsn

Visit site

I have reserved a few dates in early 2025 for your launching party and a few more in mid 2026 for your first sail.

By then the boatyard owner should have made enough to sponser a marquee. Could be quite a party.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Being a bit dry around the Gills im looking forward to sailing on our new acquisition. apart from the courses i've taken i've not had a chance to accrue any miles so Selkie should be just what i need to build confidence and experience. Standing in the cockpit of Oddity making whooshing wind noises doesnt seem to have the same effect somehow.