Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
You're nearly there Greg. When's the launch?

Seriously, regardless of the sanity or otherwise of this, I'm hooked. time for another Youtube upload?

there's a couple of other boats in the yard more at less on a long project basis, today we were all organizing the launch of all for next weekend :)
Sorry about the uploads. Working on one for the next couple of days.

GregOddity

Visit site
The FUN of it all.. trying to get to a nut from the anchor locker hatch hinge. First it was almost impossible to reach, then after about an hour… (insert drum roll here) It was glassed in…

o5iN9ne.jpg

tean

Visit site
The FUN of it all.. trying to get to a nut from the anchor locker hatch hinge. First it was almost impossible to reach, then after about an hour… (insert drum roll here) It was glassed in…

o5iN9ne.jpg

Hahaha. I remember being in exactly that position to get at my windlass bolts, (my windlass is fitted forward of the lockers). I got stuck and only just managed to wriggle out. At least no-one was taking pictures at the time.

GregOddity

Visit site
Hehe, You know what, it took me a couple of tries to get down there in a somewhat comfortable position using my head as a prop but while down there I was sure glad to have someone on top to pull me up if I got stuck and I almost did. Not a thing I want to do alone in that position. A good way to suffocate. And my windlass bolts are the same… another joy. I think I’m going to move it as soon as I get the bulkhead out to fit a new one.

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
The Water works Stringer mystery.

Fine comb, there’s a lot to be said for that. We went over those stringers trying to understand how they got so full of water. The only explanation we found so far is the possibility that the start of the stringer on the chain locker was either not closed properly or not wetted properly and as the chain locker filled with water at various times because of blocked drains due to all sorts of debris, the water started penetrating into the stringer until it ended up filling them. When we drilled a core it still burst with water and tool quite some time to stop.
As of yet, I haven’t decided how I’m going to repair them. The core must go and I will either be using closed cell foam or something a bit better. The next question I toyed with was saving some of the fiberglass by just cutting the top of the stringer but immediately discarded that as the water has been in there for too long and some drying of the hull in that area is a must. Also some grinding to make sure no damage remains untreated. Which in turn seems to leave only the option of removing the whole thing, and grinding, vacuum drying it, repair with weave and redo the stringer full length.
The rest of the hull which I expected to be wet, was surprisingly very sound with almost no moisture. I then asked around the yard and was told that as soon as they realised many years ago that the boat was filling, they drilled into the hull slightly above the bilge to allow any waters to drain. Which is how we’re getting some good news on the hull. Sadly, the chain locker kept filling and they did not notice. But happy to find a bit more about the history of Oddity.
We’ve also heard from various fonts that the true history seems to be that the owner passed away while full tilt on the build, and that it was a professional company doing the fitting, then the widow could not part with it and so was left as we found her.
Detective work today.

YRcNwfH.jpg

The Stringer going into the chain locker.

OinxZ1T.jpg

Tranona

Visit site
Re: The Water works Stringer mystery.

Widows hanging onto boats is not uncommon. There was a beautiful Moody Carbineer 44 (at least it was beautiful at one time) sitting in the back of the yard at Bucklers Hard for at least 20 years. May even still be there - have not been in the yard for a few years.

Wansworth

Visit site

Whilst it’s relatively find weather should you not be arranging some kind of cover so work can proceed over the rainy season,getting in and out through a companion way will be a problem carrying materials etc

Fr J Hackett

Visit site

Whilst it’s relatively find weather should you not be arranging some kind of cover so work can proceed over the rainy season,getting in and out through a companion way will be a problem carrying materials etc

I agree the boat effectively needs to be made weather tight, windows and companionway sorted or they will be fighting water ingress for ever. They can then work inside.
I would open up the stringers on at a time and replace the core then glass over, closed cell foam would be the best material it would be easy to work and shape and give the stiffness required when glassed in.

Wansworth

Visit site

There was a bar that did food and drink,cheap and good value but it burnt down,a kettle on site will concentrate the activity!

GregOddity

Visit site

Doesn't look like it certainly no galley.:cool:

I'm sure GregOddity has made some arrangements for brewing tea. If not the project is certainly doomed.

There was a bar that did food and drink,cheap and good value but it burnt down,a kettle on site will concentrate the activity!

You’re very welcome, we accept any advice and have FREE tea on site. Since the bar burned down we have a free supply of tea and coffee on site at our World-Famous Marina Regal Club Beach Hut.
We even have amazing views of the water and other sweet subjects

0rPmyBy.jpg

XnpXEAD.jpg