Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Fr J Hackett

Visit site
Re: UPDATE. Finally getting lifted! And so it begins.

A month in on a £20K 4 to 6 month build project and it isn't even cleaned out yet, I don't give much for the chances of it coming in on budget and certainly not time. I will take a look in September.:rolleyes:

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

On the subject of the lift, was watching this chaps latest video the other day and he had just finished putting in some bracing for the same kind of reasons.. might be worth a watch for that bit, but also because the entire project is damn interesting..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Rnjkgm6EdkU

Taking a look, thanks for the link. :encouragement: I'm a sucker for wooden boats. Youre right it's a damn interesting project.

GregOddity

Visit site

A month in on a £20K 4 to 6 month build project and it isn't even cleaned out yet, I don't give much for the chances of it coming in on budget and certainly not time. I will take a look in September.:rolleyes:

yeah, that sounds strangely familiar, I think my wife may have said it a "couple" of times. But she actually demands more immediate results.

lpdsn

Visit site

yeah, that sounds strangely familiar, I think my wife may have said it a "couple" of times. But she actually demands more immediate results.

Don't worry, you're not doomed until you do up a project plan in MS Project. I've never seen a project fail without it.

GregOddity

Visit site

Don't worry, you're not doomed until you do up a project plan in MS Project. I've never seen a project fail without it.

We're actually getting on to the framing we SHOULD have done already and I sooooo forgot. I do have a post-it to prove it to myself after we finish the interior and I’m looking at the repairs needed and wondering who da'hell did that?

GregOddity

Visit site

VERY frustrating trying to get things done and having people always say tomorrow or next week, I almost felt like in Spain. Wood for framing, plus skip= equals lift perhaps only Monday or Tuesday if we cannot get the wood delivered.

Concerto

Visit site

Greg

I have enjoyed reading your posts (and some of those knocking you), please keep the thread going on your progress. I have to admire your determination to continue in your planned way with some possibly non-regular materials that you have to hand and the experience to use them. By comparison using fiberglass and resin is a relative low technology and easy to master.

Finally I love how you handle some dissenting posts with a sense of humour, which considering you are not a native of the UK, shows a fine command of our language.

Hope everything goes smoothly with moving the boat so real progress can start. Then you can show the doubting Thomas's that your target is possible, even though I think you may need a couple of extra months because working on a boat never goes exactly to plan.

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

Greg

I have enjoyed reading your posts (and some of those knocking you), please keep the thread going on your progress. I have to admire your determination to continue in your planned way with some possibly non-regular materials that you have to hand and the experience to use them. By comparison using fiberglass and resin is a relative low technology and easy to master.

Finally I love how you handle some dissenting posts with a sense of humour, which considering you are not a native of the UK, shows a fine command of our language.

Hope everything goes smoothly with moving the boat so real progress can start. Then you can show the doubting Thomas's that your target is possible, even though I think you may need a couple of extra months because working on a boat never goes exactly to plan.
+1

GregOddity

Visit site

Greg

Thank you for the compliment. I have been inspired by the forum, over the years I have been lurking. The kind and friendly words given by many, like yourself, to all those that come in search of help have been many a reason to return and the why this forum is so highly regarded. I would love nothing else but to see it kept to that standard. Were all sailors (except me ‘cause my boat has water on the wrong side and a hole not yet plugged) and the first law of the Seas dictates that you help your fellow sailors. Let us not embrace the mood of the common man and shout louder until no one can hear. (except…if we're discussing Monohull v Cats in the Queens Head Pub off course.)

I do plan to keep the thread up to show what were up to and our miserable failings, I mean our resounding successes, discoveries and new methods to unglue fiberglass from hair.

The secret to my very secret time plan is an old Family Mathematical equation formulated by ancestors that could not add, never before revealed. It has to do with adding 6 months to any boat you build. As soon as you do that you always build in the time you set out to finish. (in some cases, the formula dictates that plus x( ad aeternum – [a day and a lot of beer]) (a grill has also sometimes been part of the equation) (in rare occasions music was also added) (and sardines.. LOADS)

The Moving is a bit of a pain as I completely failed to remember internal framing. I do have a beautiful post-it slapped on my monitor NOT to forget. I’ll keep it as a memento mori to good planning. I think it will need to be around Tuesday as I cannot be sure of wood delivery for tomorrow or Saturday. Bummer. <<< his fault!

PuffTheMagicDragon

Visit site

Easy solution against resin in hair is a cheap shower cap as provided every morning in most hotels. Failing that, an ordinary plastic bag, rolled up like a sock so that it doesn't cover your nose when you use it like a beanie.

p.s. I still have not found the equivalent for my beard.

GregOddity

Visit site

Easy solution against resin in hair is a cheap shower cap as provided every morning in most hotels. Failing that, an ordinary plastic bag, rolled up like a sock so that it doesn't cover your nose when you use it like a beanie.

p.s. I still have not found the equivalent for my beard.

It's the beard... that suffers the most. I think mine will suffer a sad date with the edge trimmer before we start on fibreglass. It's that slight of the back of your hand for that itch on your nose that kills it. I see it every day on the happy "Smurfs" at our Marina while they walk around with big blue patches on their forehead, nose and chins totally oblivious to the fact. And when you look there’s always that patch on the back of their hands.