Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Concerto

Visit site
Re: UPDATE. Finally getting lifted! And so it begins.

Greg

You certainly have a strange head compared to your usual one with a beard. If you meant heads, then I can understand the difference. ;)

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

Greg

You certainly have a strange head compared to your usual one with a beard. If you meant heads, then I can understand the difference. ;)

Lol sometimes it does feel full of the same stuff that goes through it. I think he meant heads. But indeed my "heads" are very special, both the bearded one and the boat.

GregOddity

Visit site

Yesterday was spent on the amazing task of choosing a 3-line laser. I had a bit of an oh S*** moment when I realised my laser tools were in the van. The one that got stolen with them inside when I stopped in Slough for a meeting with the council. So instead of grabbing my 3line laser, which I am going to need if I want that interior to look straight, I instead spent the day looking at how to transform cash into light particles of various colours. Good news was that they are so much cheaper and better now than when I last bought one. Sometimes it really grates me. It’s not so much the amount of money on the tools, it's the little things that make all the difference, that "special" key for tech panels, or my nice titanium coated drill set. Amazing how 2 years down the line I’m still left with my brain wanting my “ gone with the Slough wind” tools.

End of rant. (mumbling time now)

GregOddity

Visit site

Recap.
We bought a hull with no plans and no info. So far after posting here, we have found plans, the age, the hull number and quite a few lovely photos of sister vessels. We’ve cleaned her out, washed her down, removed chain and anchor locker hatch for repairs. Bought a tender and outboard for the rest of the crew to learn and get used to. Created a list of suppliers. Got quotes on quite a few bits of kit we will need to choose from. Visited quite a few suppliers to have an in depth look at bigger ticket items. Got stuck in the mud, outboard taken to dealer and being tested. Bought new shoes and jeans and washed 3 tons of mud.
Internal framing on Monday, moving on Tuesday (hopefully), removal of old ply and the rest of old materials, then strip down all windows, first survey, wash inside and most probably sand blast.

Last edited:

steveeasy

Visit site

Hi Greg
sounds great. hope you film these next stages, eagerly awaiting your next movie.

Best wishes

Steveeasy

PhilOddity

Visit site

Hi Greg
sounds great. hope you film these next stages, eagerly awaiting your next movie.

Best wishes

Steveeasy

Bear with us Steveeasy, Its been a very hectic week this week. Next week promises to be just as time consuming however there will be some more video's posted as soon as we can get all the footage edited We just added a small Video about a Submarine encounter in the solent whilst doing our Day Skipper training. See Link Below

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YvbjBCYGLJQ&t=3s

Enjoy :D

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site

An overdue dissection of our time scale.
As a kid I learned from my grandpa that ANYTHING boat related will always take way longer then you expect. Plan or no plan. So, the mats go: you say 1 year = 2 minimum / 6 months = 1-year 4months = on time off course. (what else?)

And now back to getting that damn framing in place so we can finally move her.

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

As a kid I learned from my grandpa that ANYTHING boat related will always take way longer then you expect. Plan or no plan. So, the mats go: you say 1 year = 2 minimum / 6 months = 1-year 4months = on time off course. (what else?)

Well that's confusing.

My understanding is that the boat was going to be ready by the end of 2018 at a cost of £20000.

But knowing now what you learnt as a kid have you already factored that knowledge into your launch date, or in other words did you really think you could get the boat seaworthy in 4 months which you then doubled as you know that everything takes twice as long as estimated, or are you now frantically back-pedalling and saying the launch date is more realistically beginning of 2020? Knowing what you know that is.

PhilOddity

Visit site

Well that's confusing.

My understanding is that the boat was going to be ready by the end of 2018 at a cost of £20000.

But knowing now what you learnt as a kid have you already factored that knowledge into your launch date, or in other words did you really think you could get the boat seaworthy in 4 months which you then doubled as you know that everything takes twice as long as estimated, or are you now frantically back-pedalling and saying the launch date is more realistically beginning of 2020? Knowing what you know that is.

Ahh....see its actually very easy to understand. Since the beginning of our venture with SV Oddity Greg has said "it will take 4 Months." and every mornng he has woken up and said every subseqent day...."the boat will take 4 months".......And next week when I ask him again guess what he will say......."It will take 4 Months."

Funnily enough thats exactly what he told his wife. He is nothing but Consistent :)

Just_sayin'

Arrived. But thinking of a bit more east.
Visit site

Ahh....see its actually very easy to understand. Since the beginning of our venture with SV Oddity Greg has said "it will take 4 Months." and every mornng he has woken up and said every subseqent day...."the boat will take 4 months".......And next week when I ask him again guess what he will say......."It will take 4 Months."

Thanks.

So this also blows a gigantic hole in the 20k forecast as I guess the yard won't just kind of ignore you from the end of this year. Or move you for free tomorrow. Or pay for the internal timber framing the engineer amongst you hadn't considered.

I seriously wish you both luck.

I seriously also wish the two of you had gone out and spent what you're going to spend on a finished boat :)

But then we wouldn't have this post to look forward too each day.

KenMcCulloch

Visit site

It's the beard... that suffers the most. I think mine will suffer a sad date with the edge trimmer before we start on fibreglass. It's that slight of the back of your hand for that itch on your nose that kills it. I see it every day on the happy "Smurfs" at our Marina while they walk around with big blue patches on their forehead, nose and chins totally oblivious to the fact. And when you look there’s always that patch on the back of their hands.
Greg, if you are getting epoxy resins on your skin you need to start taking measures to protect your health. After a while it’s possible to become permanently sensitised to epoxy and to develop very unpleasant symptoms. Google epoxy sensitivity and take all possible precautions.

lpdsn

Visit site

An overdue dissection of our time scale.

And now back to getting that damn framing in place so we can finally move her.

I know I suggested this many hundreds of posts ago but it might be worthwhile you considering it again. There's money to be saved by moving the boat out of the boatyard and to some other cheaper location where you can work on her. It's not cheap where you are, so any delays to the original optimistic schedule are going to eat away at your budget. I reckon worth doing a calculation of the potential savings against the cost of the moves based on a more pessamistic timescale.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I know I suggested this many hundreds of posts ago but it might be worthwhile you considering it again. There's money to be saved by moving the boat out of the boatyard and to some other cheaper location where you can work on her. It's not cheap where you are, so any delays to the original optimistic schedule are going to eat away at your budget. I reckon worth doing a calculation of the potential savings against the cost of the moves based on a more pessamistic timescale.

It's spelt "realistic" :)

obmij

Visit site

Aren't there two people working full time on this? If so it should be finished before the end of the year, surely.

Have you put together a schedule of works yet? A properly time costed schedule will help keep you honest and should keep the inevitable delays as short as possible.

When the boat has the internal support in place, and she's been lifted - what are you going to do next?