Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

steveeasy

Visit site
Re: UPDATE. Finally getting lifted! And so it begins.

Well we clearly find the rebuild fascinating. that said, I acquired a project last june. It had a new engine. it had great standing rigging and really was quite simple. well 10 months later, shes not finished, I can sail her and she is looking great but everything takes a long time. In hindsight Id never take on a project like SVoditty. Unless of course you are full time and prepared to spent up to a year and blow the budget.

If it was not financially viable id not do it. I am extremely lucky, I chose the right boat, the right price, spent wisely and with even a very conservative low future resale value, id see a very good return. Partially good luck, and mainly learning the hard way.

Good Luck Greg and Phil.

Steveeasy

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Re: VIDEO UPDATE. 005 the Lady itself.

Thanks for all the best wishes, I just published a new video depicting Oddity and what we found to be done. BEFORE you say anything, we are past that, but editing and working is not the same thing, so videos do come second.

Hope you guys enjoy it as much as we had fun doing it.

005 The Lady https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RpzRsNoAgR0

Last edited:

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I'd be a concerned about those blisters. Osmosis is caused by water getting through the gelcoat and getting trapped between it and the layup. If these are caused by the hull having water inside it, that would mean it must have gone through the layup, which seems odd and if correct a very serious issue.

lpdsn

Visit site

I'd be a concerned about those blisters. Osmosis is caused by water getting through the gelcoat and getting trapped between it and the layup. If these are caused by the hull having water inside it, that would mean it must have gone through the layup, which seems odd and if correct a very serious issue.

I suspect it will have come through the gel coat from outside. Maybe the hull has been chocked with carpet or similar at some stage in the past.

GregOddity

Visit site

Yes, that being one of the more prominent reasons for a surveyor. From what we know she never had water to that level, as the holes were drilled very early on. The ply does show marks of rot and water levels but not to that height. It’s also a localised thing and not all around the hull. We won’t really know more until we open the blisters and drill one through to check condition of the hull laminate for a more indepth look at the problem.

GregOddity

Visit site

I suspect it will have come through the gel coat from outside. Maybe the hull has been chocked with carpet or similar at some stage in the past.

I'm inclined to think along those lines as this is not something you find everywhere on the hull, on the other side there are only 2 or 3 small bumps. It's more this place that has all this bumps.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

That would make sense. If they came from inside it really would be skip time.

PaulRainbow

Visit site

I'm inclined to think along those lines as this is not something you find everywhere on the hull, on the other side there are only 2 or 3 small bumps. It's more this place that has all this bumps.

Scrape or carefully sand the top off of one and have a look underneath it. If its just a few and it's normal osmosis it's a relatively easy fix, no need to be doing drastic hull peelings etc.

GregOddity

Visit site

Scrape or carefully sand the top off of one and have a look underneath it. If its just a few and it's normal osmosis it's a relatively easy fix, no need to be doing drastic hull peelings etc.

I have my own opinion on the matter and I've been strongly resisting the temptation to sand or drill a core of one, as I would like the surveyor to first give me what HE thinks it is. I have been proven wrong on occasion (that was ONE time and I was partially right ..really) I really do not want to "fix" my opinion on the matter without an independent look. If it’s from the inside, then there are areas most likely delaminated and requires a cut and mould in place job I would not even attempt a repair. I'm still very tempted to do just that. Good outside = good mould faster and less problematic then fiddling with bits here and there that are never going to be as good. And I just happen to have enough cast in place prepreg fibre resin to take a mould for that area.

GregOddity

Visit site

I have my own opinion on the matter and I've been strongly resisting the temptation to sand or drill a core of one, as I would like the surveyor to first give me what HE thinks it is. I have been proven wrong on occasion (that was ONE time and I was partially right ..really) I really do not want to "fix" my opinion on the matter without an independent look. If it’s from the inside, then there are areas most likely delaminated and requires a cut and mould in place job I would not even attempt a repair. I'm still very tempted to do just that. Good outside = good mould faster and less problematic then fiddling with bits here and there that are never going to be as good. And I just happen to have enough cast in place prepreg fibre resin to take a mould for that area.

Trust me when I say that every time I pass them I fell like "popping one"

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com

Gel coat on the inside?