Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site
Surely you cannot have just obtained any old anchor? We need to know! You may have missed a golden opportunity to design and make an anchor made of modern materials that would be lightweight, safe to hold in mud,sand,weed and gravel,without the usual requirement of 60 mtrs of chain!:encouragement:

That’s called a cement block and they use it for moorings, with one ton holds everywhere, you don’t even need a rope you can use a line. Instead of chain you can use a bungee for added elasticity therefore rendering a snubber useless.
Were not designing our own anchor neither. I’m afraid we already did that. :cool:

**scientifically you must account for water being circa 800 times denser then air, buoyancy is expressed through Archimedes' principle, which states that the weight of the object is reduced by its volume multiplied by the density of the fluid therefore a one-ton block of cement can become “lightweight” for being immersed in a fluid and being subject to its added mechanics. Modern and lightweight. And in “vogue” in some of the best cities around the world.

*** For the effects of this brief essay, salinity and temperature were not considered, and no Fish were harmed while performing calculations and field experiments.

Last edited:

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
That’s called a cement block and they use it for moorings, with one ton holds everywhere, you don’t even need a rope you can use a line. Instead of chain you can use a bungee for added elasticity therefore rendering a snubber useless.
Were not designing our own anchor neither. I’m afraid we already did that. :cool:

**scientifically you must account for water being circa 800 times denser then air, buoyancy is expressed through Archimedes' principle, which states that the weight of the object is reduced by its volume multiplied by the density of the fluid therefore a one-ton block of cement can become “lightweight” for being immersed in a fluid and being subject to its added mechanics. Modern and lightweight. And in “vogue” in some of the best cities around the world.

*** For the effects of this brief essay, salinity and temperature were not considered, and no Fish were harmed while performing calculations and field experiments.
Apicture is better than a thousand words!:encouragement:

images link wear.jpg

Iain C

Visit site
Thank you all for the websites and advice. Please keep them coming as the more choice we have the better. Greg is recovering from a tangle with climbing ropes. cos he doesnt like the price of Maritime Lines. Personally, besides price i have no idea what the difference is.

Are you serious? I thought he was a blue water sailor? Climbing ropes have loads of elasticity to protect the user in a fall. They have no place on a boat whatsoever as the absolute last thing you want anywhere is any stretch.

A hybrid powered boat with a fabricated water maker and climbing rope running rigging going transatlantic. This thread has got to be a wind up...

7ba90c7e1abd8a4f1ad1269dbbbf03eb.jpg

Last edited:

Graham_Wright

www.mastaclimba.com
Are you serious? I thought he was a blue water sailor? Climbing ropes have loads of elasticity to protect the user in a fall. They have no place on a boat whatsoever as the absolute last thing you want anywhere is any stretch.

A hybrid powered boat with a fabricated water maker and climbing rope running rigging going transatlantic. This thread has got to be a wind up...

Perhaps you should the whole thread;- "Well i'm relying on Greg's years of Climbing knowledge to explain to me about the different qualities of rope etc. Think nerd with an adrenaline junkie streak and your getting close. when he started talking about terms like static, Dynamic and a few others i lost the gist of the explanation (by that point my eyes glazed over)
Read more at http://www.ybw.com/forums/showthread.php?497785-Bought-a-Never-splashed-Colvic-Countess-33-on-eBay-Looking-for-infos/page52#dOXhZ8dRCP4DuMHg.99"

Spyro

Visit site

]

Mooring lines?

Iain C

Visit site
No need to worry about mooring lines. When this boat hits the water I will happily send Greg and Phil some of my spares as a moving in present.

PaulRainbow

Visit site
No need to worry about mooring lines. When this boat hits the water I will happily send Greg and Phil some of my spares as a moving in present.

Will we still be using mooring lines then, or will the pontoons be fitted with gravitation devices to hold the vessel in place, kind of like those docking stations in Star Trek ? Should be cool, Greg will no doubt have the warp drive sorted by then too :)

obmij

Visit site
Greg & Phil..I wish you all the best of luck for your project - but having been in boatyard hell myself I recognise the symptoms that are currently afflicting you. You probably know this yourselves but, yeah..

Keeping 'busy' buying hinges and running rigging (of whatever sort) is not advancing the project in any meaningful way - but at least you don't have to get back into the hull and continue to rip stuff out : - ) Nor do you have to clean and gritblast, nor start on the tricky interior structural work.

So, that is all for another day. Today though - there is research to do and plans to make and bit to buy for when it all comes together : - )

GregOddity

Visit site

Only the lead rope in climbing needs to have elasticity, we use static and dynamic for different uses. The difference between climbing and sailing ropes lays not only in static dynamic but also to do with fibres used and how it’s sheathed and with what materials as they have to survive very aggressive environment’s. Most failures in climbing rope come from damage by sharp edges so the fibres need to be particularly well suited to resist such failure (catastrophic results)
High Altitude climbing involves ropes that need to have strong levels or UV resistance much higher then the ones on sailboats.
Our Knotts CANNOT fail for any reason, WE LOVE our ropes, they NEVER end up on a locker with stuff on top.
We also use Dyneema, just cheaper because it does not say MARINE.
Having said that I am NOT recommending to anyone the use of climbing ropes on a sailboat. The same way I would not recommend doing what we are doing to the average of people.
What I may or not do is a different matter altogether.

this is a small academic paper on climbing/sailing ropes from the Department of Mechanical Engineering, University of Strathclyde, http://personal.strath.ac.uk/andrew.mclaren/JMDA75.pdf

I always research what I THINK i know. ( better safe then sunk )

GregOddity

Visit site
Or after a few years of trying to refit the hull :

My Grandpa used to feel like that on the same two occasions, when he was not refitting his boats, and when he was refitting his boats.
He’s the one that told me “whatever you do, do NOT buy a sailboat” “do NOT be a sailor, be an engineer or a doctor “

then he'd ask me " wanna go sailing?" ...

Last edited:

GregOddity

Visit site
Will we still be using mooring lines then, or will the pontoons be fitted with gravitation devices to hold the vessel in place, kind of like those docking stations in Star Trek ? Should be cool, Greg will no doubt have the warp drive sorted by then too :)

I'm totally misunderstood.. by then.. I will be working on the NEXT type of drive, the Cosmic Wave Rider (theory says it should be possible should we manage to decipher antimatter for the propulsion unit. Cooling seems to be the snafu … )

GregOddity

Visit site
Greg & Phil..I wish you all the best of luck for your project - but having been in boatyard hell myself I recognise the symptoms that are currently afflicting you. You probably know this yourselves but, yeah..

Keeping 'busy' buying hinges and running rigging (of whatever sort) is not advancing the project in any meaningful way - but at least you don't have to get back into the hull and continue to rip stuff out : - ) Nor do you have to clean and gritblast, nor start on the tricky interior structural work.

So, that is all for another day. Today though - there is research to do and plans to make and bit to buy for when it all comes together : - )

damn.. we’ve been made..
Naah in reality you’re right of course, but were waiting to have the boat lifted and have some metal footings on it, as it is the old logs are moving everywhere and we don’t have enough space to move around it with tools materials. Wrong time, EVERYONE wants to go in the water..