Bought a Never splashed Colvic Countess 33 on eBay, Looking for infos

Fantasie 19

Visit site
Check out the two chandlers in emsworth and in the marina where you are,might get a good deal and support local trade at the same time maybe the chandlers won’t disappear

The one in Emsowrth Yacht Harbour went out of business tail end of last year... Seateach (or whatever they are called now as I think they changed hands????) were closed and underway with a refurb when I last went and looked...

PhilOddity

Visit site
I once made the mistake of using a galvanised jubillee clip temporarily on a hose that routed cables up the mast - by the time I got around to getting a s/s one to replace it it was just a heap of rust.

Message received. Avoid Galvanised Jubilee Clips and Mild Steel. Stick with Stainless 316 / 316L :D

PhilOddity

Visit site
The one in Emsowrth Yacht Harbour went out of business tail end of last year... Seateach (or whatever they are called now as I think they changed hands????) were closed and underway with a refurb when I last went and looked...

We visited Emsworth Yaht Harbour the other day. I did'nt see a chandlery there and thought it was a bit strange.

PhilOddity

Visit site
Check out the two chandlers in emsworth and in the marina where you are,might get a good deal and support local trade at the same time maybe the chandlers won’t disappear
Ocean Chandlery in Thornham Marina where we are based is fantastic. The staff are always really helpful and the Manager even went to the trouble of copying the plans for his own Colvic so we could get some ideas. At the the moment I am just getting an overview on prices and sourcing as the budget needs to be very streamlined. That said, we have bought several items from there already including some cowel vents which they ordered in next day delivery.

comparison points are always nice to have though

NormanS

Visit site
Does it really matter. I was posting about using stainless steel.

No need to get touchy about it. :rolleyes: What you actually said was to avoid galvanized mild steel because it would soon be leaving rusty streaks on the deck, which is of course nonsense. You then gave the example of yourself using an inadequate jubilee clip, and equated it with "galvanized". It would seem wrong to criticise galvanising from inaccurate evidence.

lpdsn

Visit site
No need to get touchy about it. :rolleyes: What you actually said was to avoid galvanized mild steel because it would soon be leaving rusty streaks on the deck, which is of course nonsense. You then gave the example of yourself using an inadequate jubilee clip, and equated it with "galvanized". It would seem wrong to criticise galvanising from inaccurate evidence.

What I actually said was, in this case, don't cut costs, get the marine grade stainless steel and gave a trivial example of a cheap bit rusting. Glavanised or plated doesn't make much difference in that context. And if you think galavanised won't rust I guess you use galvanised blocks and shackles just like those fishing boats with the rust streaks down the side. Personally apart from anchor gear, I use stainless.

C'mon, admit you were just being pedantic. :)

PhilOddity

Visit site
Thank you all for the websites and advice. Please keep them coming as the more choice we have the better. Greg is recovering from a tangle with climbing ropes. cos he doesnt like the price of Maritime Lines. Personally, besides price i have no idea what the difference is.

lpdsn

Visit site
Greg is recovering from a tangle with climbing ropes. cos he doesnt like the price of Maritime Lines. Personally, besides price i have no idea what the difference is.

Check what they're made of. Polypropelene ropes are very cheap but much more vulnerable to UV damage. That said, I'm using cheap Chinese parachute cord in my lazyjacks, but I don't expect to get a long life out of them.

In terms of more conventional halyards, sheets and other control lines (you won't need mooring warps just yet) it is worth looking around on the web as prices do vary considerably. Also beware of being tempted to oversize them.

PhilOddity

Visit site
Check what they're made of. Polypropelene ropes are very cheap but much more vulnerable to UV damage. That said, I'm using cheap Chinese parachute cord in my lazyjacks, but I don't expect to get a long life out of them.

In terms of more conventional halyards, sheets and other control lines (you won't need mooring warps just yet) it is worth looking around on the web as prices do vary considerably. Also beware of being tempted to oversize them.

Well i'm relying on Greg's years of Climbing knowledge to explain to me about the different qualities of rope etc. Think nerd with an adrenaline junkie streak and your getting close. when he started talking about terms like static, Dynamic and a few others i lost the gist of the explanation (by that point my eyes glazed over)

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
Hope I havent missed any discussions of what type and manufacturer of the anchor to be used! This one item will run for another 50 pages of discussion!:encouragement:

lpdsn

Visit site
Hope I havent missed any discussions of what type and manufacturer of the anchor to be used! This one item will run for another 50 pages of discussion!:encouragement:

I'll be sadly disappointed if they don't design their own.

PhilOddity

Visit site
I would have thought ropes are well down the "to do" list.

The first thing on the to do List is to do a to do list. when we bought the hull it was just a hull and nothing else. we had to source plans Etc and had nothing to go on. The list needs items and so we are looking at what items we are going to need. Where ropes may be near the bottom of the prioroties we will still need some lengths of rope while we are building it. Might as well get some we can use later down the line. Every penny counts.

GregOddity

Mermaid hunting in Antartica. No luck so far.
Visit site

I am truly SORRY, I’m afraid that was settled in the next 10m after buying the boat on eBay. I realise that I must apologise to the whole forum for that, MY BAD, mea maxima culpa, I unwittingly committed the horrible and despicable sin of killing an anchor thread. I don't know what came over me. There is no excuse.. I know.

I hope you can all be understanding and forgive this oversight on my part.

TOKOLOSHI

Visit site
Surely you cannot have just obtained any old anchor? We need to know! You may have missed a golden opportunity to design and make an anchor made of modern materials that would be lightweight, safe to hold in mud,sand,weed and gravel,without the usual requirement of 60 mtrs of chain!:encouragement: