Boat to motorhome

Bouba

Visit site
I think the Motor home might also be considered a Big planet killer... So you would have a motor home and a car That is 2 engines instead of a car and a caravan which is one engine
I think we have to be very careful about environmental labelling because we have a hobby that is very hard to justify. Even someone like me criticised the little Swedish activist for crossing the Atlantic in a racing yacht and claiming it was environmentally sound.
Once the greens run the place there will be no boating, motor homing, caravaning or driving.

gordmac

Visit site
I think the Motor home might also be considered a Big planet killer... So you would have a motor home and a car That is 2 engines instead of a car and a caravan which is one engine
The two engines will be doing the same number of miles as one but some of those miles will be at better mpg. I would also say a motorhome may do more mpg than a large car towing a caravan.

lionelz

Visit site
Ok guys and gals I thought I would give an update. Well I sold my boat in November 2020 and we purchased a motorhome in December 20 which we picked up in Jan 21. We off course went into lockdown again so did not get out at all until April. All I can say is we have no regrets we have done so many day trips and been out in weather that we would not even consider in a boat. We have freedom although I don't think as much as we had in our boat, but that is more than made up by the amount of time we have in it. Funny enough my better half preferred location is by the sea. Our new fravorite haunt is hayling island it's a bit of a travel for us for a day trip but we don't care. We spend all day there just soaking up the atmosphere. We have yet to spend a night in it just because there are a few things we need to get, but we are planning our first week away with it in June.

Do I miss the boat, no not really, would I get another boat ? Only if I had free mooring. I may in future buy something like a small rib which I could store at home, and tow behind the motorhome. but that's for the future as it is we are enjoying the extra money we have, I still follow many YouTube channels about boating but I now don't rush to few them when they are released.

Anyways I hope you are all staying safe, and enjoying what time you get on the water.

Lionel

Clive-D

Visit site
We have friends who had a mobile home which was hopeless on the narrow lanes you tend to imagine driving. They now have a sprinter converted by a boat builder which is lovely. I had a classic car for a while. Wicker basket and rug... spent more time sat in traffic trying to get somewhere so sold it and bought an old 16ft boat. I hate traffic and UK roads are not fun to be on, plus you get parked on a concrete slab with people all round. Camping is not what it was.
My oldest boat broke down all the time. We were never passed by a boat. Without exception from gin palaces offering a tow to small boats, everyone on the water offered help and was generous and kind. Break down on an A road and see how much help you get! The peace and slow pace of a river is second to none.
We upgraded to a 30 yr old 21ft Shetland 4+2 and a new trailer (never quite made the fortune!). Including renovations it’s 1/2 the price of a mobile home. Roll on roll off trailer is so simple to use. No mooring, parked at home so won’t deteriorate in winter. It doesn’t have to cost a fortune and you can drive anywhere to launch. It even looks like a mobile home inside! Flush toilet and fridge. The 4+2 will cope with coastal work too.
Guess you know which side of the harbour I’m sitting...

Gwylan

Visit site
Well we did just that last year. A health scare told me my sailing days were over. Sold the boat, diagnosis was misleading and condition went away.
But before completing the boat sale we had bought a campervan.

Like sailing, you need a bit of planning.
Not like sailing you can come and go. No time and tide constraints.
Got lucky with a place to park, secure and near home. Very important to get this sorted before you own the damn thing!

Head of finance says it is cheaper than boating.
Battling down the M4 will never compete with wind over tide in the Bristol Channel.

Whisper it, we have refillable gas tanks, makes Calor look like daylight robbery. Also we can survive several weeks independent camping.

Fresh water is the challenge. Only have 70 litre fresh water tank. Means you have to be careful if going "on the hook". An additional 70 l tank is ready to install.

25mpg requires careful use of the right foot and the gearbox.

Yes it is a bit big, select the bus or truck option on the GPS and believe it.

We take our bikes with us and use them for exploring. Graduated to eBikes. Have extra domestic batteries, solar panels and an inverter. Works very well. Get near a town, park up, cycle off. Or dust off the bus pass. That works in England. Wales & the northern parts are another matter
Have even hired a small car in some places to roam further afield.

The toilet lasts about 4 days. Disposing of that appropriately can be a challenge. We bought a DPD, disposal point detector from Toolstation. Looks awfully like a shovel. Every time we think we might need to use it we find some thoughtful local authority has provided a dump point.

Not always charmed by neighbours on sites. But it's life and I'm not generally a fun night out.
"Vannie" web sites are much nicer places. People are polite and respectful, answer your half arsed questions patiently without abusing you, your anchor choice or politics.

Miss all the boating thing. Not least sitting in a harbour and watching the throngs of grockles on the land side. Or anchored in a bay all on my own, minding my own business.

Bilgediver

Visit site
Well we did just that last year. A health scare told me my sailing days were over. Sold the boat, diagnosis was misleading and condition went away.
But before completing the boat sale we had bought a campervan.

Like sailing, you need a bit of planning.
Not like sailing you can come and go. No time and tide constraints.
Got lucky with a place to park, secure and near home. Very important to get this sorted before you own the damn thing!

Head of finance says it is cheaper than boating.
Battling down the M4 will never compete with wind over tide in the Bristol Channel.

Whisper it, we have refillable gas tanks, makes Calor look like daylight robbery. Also we can survive several weeks independent camping.

Fresh water is the challenge. Only have 70 litre fresh water tank. Means you have to be careful if going "on the hook". An additional 70 l tank is ready to install.

25mpg requires careful use of the right foot and the gearbox.

Yes it is a bit big, select the bus or truck option on the GPS and believe it.

Hope you make it up north of the border one day with or without a Scottish Bus Pass. Just believe the GPS comments regarding a favourite route to Applecross if you are bigger than a Sprinter. Might just have to go the long way round. It is worth it!