Boat to motorhome

stelican

Visit site
Agree 100%, forget any similarity. Motorhomes are fine when you are too decrepid to go boating, sitting in a campsite with screaming kids and hundreds of others "living the life" is not much like a quiet anchorage. We just drove around the coast looking at boats and feeling disillusioned,
well I assure you that is not how we do it you needed to learn how to be more selective.

Sneds

Visit site
I have often thought about a motor home towing a rib
But could the motor home launch the rib? Doubt it.
Can a car tow a caravan and a rib? Is that allowed? Three in a row!

Bouba

Visit site
I have often thought about a motor home towing a rib
But could the motor home launch the rib? Doubt it.
Can a car tow a caravan and a rib? Is that allowed? Three in a row!
Yes, it can. I have often seen it. I suppose because most European motor homes are front wheel drive and about seven meters long, the drive wheels are quite high up on the driest part of the ramp. A motor home and small rib would be equivalent in length to a car and a big boat so there should be space enough to manœuvre

ChromeDome

Commonly in Denmark. Dizzy Too, most of the time.
Visit site
Boating and camping comparison is not really an apples to apples matter.

Having to negotiate the still more hectic and hostile traffic and all sorts of vehicles (?‍♂️) & pedestrians, I find waterways to be so relaxing.

Did the Oz in a 4x4 campervan which was great, but just confirm the parking problem.
Cities tend to have still more parking facilities where anything longer, wider or taller(!) than a car can't get in. Alone staying within the lines in parking places proved difficult (fines...)

Sianna

Visit site
We went the other way, motorhome to a boat, found the motorhome too restrictive couldn't go anywhere when we were away as it was too big to park, I didn't want to tow a car so bikes were the only option which restricted how far from facilities we could be. The other thing was even though we went to some lovely sites we always seemed to be surrounded by nobs!! Rowdy drinking parties got irritating and eventually spoiled the whole thing, we find a different type of person in marinas. It may sound snobby but it's just the way we found it.

BobnLesley

Aground in Yorkshire awaiting a very high tide
Visit site
We're currently considering getting a campervan/motorhome to keep us busy until the oceans re-open and hadn't really anticipated the problem of urban driving/parking being an issue; whilst such areas are invariably congested, they also generally support a good public transport systems. Before we took to the seas we travelled many thousands of miles by motorcycle, which whilst sounding good for exploring urban areas, we very rarely did; being relatively easy to steal and with foreign registered bikes being a particularly popular target, we'd almost always leave the bike at a hotel/campground a few miles outside and day-trip by train into the big city. I'd anticipated doing likewise with the motorhome.

Bouba

Visit site
The reality is that there is nothing you can do in a motor home that you can’t do with your car and a hotel room. Whereas boating is unique in that you need a boat.
But, we all here have this strange need to travel around with our worldly possessions. And to satisfy that need on land, a motor home is a great way to go

stelican

Visit site
The reality is that there is nothing you can do in a motor home that you can’t do with your car and a hotel room. Whereas boating is unique in that you need a boat.
But, we all here have this strange need to travel around with our worldly possessions. And to satisfy that need on land, a motor home is a great way to go
For the last eight days we have been on a camping site on the west coast of Scotland. The campervan has a rear lounge area and I am currently sat with a panoramic view of the mountainous islands of Eigg,Rum, Canna and Skye. I am 100 ft from the waters edge surrounded by white sand beaches I look around and cannot see a single person.
We have towed a small car with us with which we have explored inland.
We usually go to France and Spain with the van and also find secluded site there no mobs of nobs as an earlier poster mentioned

Bouba

Visit site
Have you considered aTera Wind RV or similar.
While nothing quite so exotic as a floating RV, if I was living in the U.K., I would get a used American RV with slide outs. I found that in France they are virtually impossible to own. And although I had a beautiful vehicle that I loved, I would have loved more internal room. The giant German motor homes cost a ridiculous fortune

gordmac

Visit site
I would suggest getting the smallest suitable motorhome rather than the largest, gives much more opportunity to access places.
If you don't need more than two berths a demountable is worth considering. In simple terms, a sort of caravan that is loaded on a pickup bed. Not too big and the 4wd means you can go further off the beaten track. If staying somewhere for a few days you can unload it and just use the pickup.

kennyh

Visit site
I have both. And they are very similar as well as completely different (if that is possible).

I’ve a motorboat on the West Coast of Scotland; awesome places to visit - but the weather is generally not kind enough to enjoy it apart from a few times a year (going in early June ideally).

I’ve a Motorhome which I bought last year and I’m just back from 3 weeks tour of Germany. I absolutely loved it, saw lots of places from very quiet places in the middle of the Black Forest to more busy places on Lake Constance, but still with our own “space” and out of main summer holiday season was very relaxed (and we were right next to a number of large marinas).

I love my boat, but it can be hard work sometimes (especially staying up watching the anchor overnight due to squalls, or when approaching marinas in bad conditions). A Motorhome can be hard work too, when having to navigate country lanes etc.

You can “suffer” bad weather in a Motorhome a lot better than bad weather in a boat IMO. Windy / stormy weather can be more than scary in a motorboat, whilst just an inconvenience in a Motorhome

In summary - a boat can give you access to some awesome quiet anchorages and bays, but a Motorhome can give you access to many many more places and experiences in the same timescale (especially if you take eBikes with you); it’s up to you as to what drives your happiness.

Of course - all of the above are MY observations and thoughts - I’m sure others will have the polar opposite to that.

Bouba

Visit site
The weather, as you say, is scarier on a boat, but people are scarier on a motor home. We parked up one evening in a big modern well lit motorway services in the South of France. There was a knock on the door, and two French highway patrolmen were standing outside. They told us to move on because gangs come up from Marseille targeting motor homes. We asked if we could just go north a bit more and they said then we would be victims to violent gangs coming down from Lyon. So we should get off the motorway and hide in a secluded place, as they were the only two cops on the entire stretch of the motorway.

Oscar24

Visit site
I was going to buy a motorhome a few years back, but decided to hire one instead. Was very pleased i did tbh.
On paper the 'van' had it all, was new, well equipped and 'ticked all the box's' for what i thought i needed. I was wrong.
It was obviously designed with a recently retired couple in mind, Was 4 berth but realistically only 2, No real space for food prep, awful drivers seat. The engine was gutless making joining a motorway scary. Parking it anywhere other than a designated campsite was a problem.
Wasn't all bad news thou, the toilet cassette system worked well as did the large storage space at the back. The built in solar panel was handy and the LED lighting was excellent. But this was a 7Mtr van costing £50k ?
As with anything, until you've try it you wont know.

kennyh

Visit site
I was going to buy a motorhome a few years back, but decided to hire one instead. Was very pleased i did tbh.
On paper the 'van' had it all, was new, well equipped and 'ticked all the box's' for what i thought i needed. I was wrong.
It was obviously designed with a recently retired couple in mind, Was 4 berth but realistically only 2, No real space for food prep, awful drivers seat. The engine was gutless making joining a motorway scary. Parking it anywhere other than a designated campsite was a problem.
Wasn't all bad news thou, the toilet cassette system worked well as did the large storage space at the back. The built in solar panel was handy and the LED lighting was excellent. But this was a 7Mtr van costing £50k ?
As with anything, until you've try it you wont know.

Just like boats, there are all kinds of Motorhomes.

I rented a van a few years ago and learned very quickly what I didn’t like; and following that bought one that does meet my needs and I’m very happy with.

Certainly, you are best to rent one if you are contemplating a purchase to see what works or not for you.

Bouba

Visit site
Absolutely, the people who buy motor homes are just like the people who buy boats. Just keep trading up until you learn what is right for you.
One point I’d like to make, with the advent of all these new battery personal transport it gives you far more options to your use of a motor home. You can now park a distance away without having to tow a car. A couple of electric scooters or bikes will do the job!

Bilgediver

Visit site
Have done both for 30yrs but a day boat.
We can be inS France in 2 days another day to Spain.
Have been to Cornwall this year and currently in Scotland for 2 weeks and also been various places South Coast.
Never storm bound,still look around marinas and harbours.
Take commercial boat trips for the fix.
Campsites budget £25 per night
Fuel 25miles per gallon
Currently pitched up watching the sunset over Eigg; Rhum and Skye 100ft from waters edge and white sand beach crystal clear water.
Hope the Choo Choo trains not keeping you awake :)