Everything about Princess V48 MK1

Nick1150

Visit site
Hello to all,

I am looking for any info about the Princess V48 MK1 (2006-2010), D9-575s on shafts...

It certainly ticks almost all boxes, and I have already decided to be our next one, it would be thought very helpful to know from owners any details, pros or cons first hand.

Thank you in advance,

Nikos

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I’ve never been an owner , was very close after selling the Phantom 43 .
I’ve serviced many over the years , very well put together boat , a bit tight rear of each engine , lazarette area difficult and small compared to other boats of similar designs making generator difficult to service and batteries to change .
Watch out for the D9 gearbox problems mainly the drive couplings on the flywheel , watch out for tiny bits of rubber around the bellhousing .

Nick1150

Visit site
Is this a well known issue od D9s? Should I avoid them? I had the impression that D9s were worry free engines, at least way better that the D6s I already own....

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Lovely boat, the Targa 47 GT has a better layout and finishing and overall quality feel (yes in those times Fairline was a dot better to Princess IMO) and engine excess is one of the best from Fairline (possible from both aft and cockpit floor). Saying all this I do prefer the lines of the Princess V48. Sorry this would be a hard pick!

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Lovely boat, the Targa 47 GT has a better layout and finishing and overall quality feel (yes in those times Fairline was a dot better to Princess IMO) and engine excess is one of the best from Fairline (possible from both aft and cockpit floor). Saying all this I do prefer the lines of the Princess V48. Sorry this would be a hard pick!
Hmm I’m not sure about the quality , many Targa 47s are now of an age where the linings are sagging , the cupboard doors are flaking , loss of gloss finish , I even went to look at one that had a factory refit as it spent time in the far east soaking up the humidity. The V48 is a far better built boat in my opinion .

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Hmm I’m not sure about the quality , many Targa 47s are now of an age where the linings are sagging , the cupboard doors are flaking , loss of gloss finish , I even went to look at one that had a factory refit as it spent time in the far east soaking up the humidity. The V48 is a far better built boat in my opinion .
I inspected three T47s (beside listing two) and never found any of these founding's. Bear with me these are Med boats who IMO do get more abuse then UK boats;

The linings things and loss of gloss is really subjective to maintenance, also UK build boats will always have top sides caulking staining after ten to twenty years (and again subject to maintenance).
The more South in the Med, the more this is common.

I think between the two there is no better or worse, and a for a boat which is nearing twenty years maintenance plays a big part.
I like the V48 lines more, but the layout (engine room, galley, and tender garage) are all better in the T47, there is no denying this.

Nick1150

Visit site
Thanks all for the inputs,

Definitely, V48 and F47GT are similar boats, I can see what you are saying... F47GT layout is better objectively, but let's face it.... who chooses a wife only with logical factors in mind? One has to like (at least) what he sees!!!! And I like what I see when looking at a V48, sorry, I cannot hide from this :D

Nevertheless, even though the V48 is the one for me, due to mooring limitations up to 45ft (being trying to change this), it seems I need to look for an alternative... V45 is a great choice too, but stern drives is not an option for me (I am there now and trying to avoid).... so I am again on the hunt......

Maybe I will create a thread on this....

ari

Visit site
I'd personally opt for a V45 over a V48 because of the sterndrives. Shaft drive on the V48 puts the engines a long way forward so they're almost under you at the helm and therefore quite noisy at speed, and the hard top only amplifies this (Targa 47 is the same). The sterndrive installation of the V45 puts the engines low and back under the garage - far quieter and more relaxed experience at planing speeds.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I'd personally opt for a V45 over a V48 because of the sterndrives. Shaft drive on the V48 puts the engines a long way forward so they're almost under you at the helm and therefore quite noisy at speed, and the hard top only amplifies this (Targa 47 is the same). The sterndrive installation of the V45 puts the engines low and back under the garage - far quieter and more relaxed experience at planing speeds.
The V48 has a canvas top and is no where near as noisey as the Targa 47 .
Both great boats in my opinion. The last of the greats before the dreaded IPS was thrown at them uk builders , it all went tits up after for owners .

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
You might be alone in that view.

ari

Visit site
The V48 has a canvas top and is no where near as noisey as the Targa 47 .
Both great boats in my opinion. The last of the greats before the dreaded IPS was thrown at them uk builders , it all went tits up after for owners .
The hard top has a canvas opening section indeed, but it is nonetheless a hard top boat which reflects a lot of noise around and back at the helm, and it is a noisy boat at planing speeds, far noisier than a V45 (which is also a hard top boat, but, as mentioned, the engines are not under it, they're back under the garage).

ari

Visit site
If you don't use your boat much then it's probably less of an issue to put up with I guess.

For me, it would be a problem and, even recognising the huge benefits of shafts over outdrives (which I completely agree with incidentally), it would be enough of an issue to have me accepting the compromises (and benefitting from greater efficiency/economy) of outdrives.

Nick1150

Visit site
Thanks Ari for your input which is highly appreciated!

Unfortunately, I am trying to get away from stern drives.... I do not have any issues till now, but I am a "shaft" guy.... just a subjective thing...

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
I’d agree with ari , I’ve been out on both ,and the targa 47 , the D9s are a very noisey engjne , the v45 is very quiet due to the engines location , of course they will have all the usual D6/ DPH shall we call them facts of life but properly maintained and some luck not picking up fishing line and ropes around the props they will last a while , these boats are all reaching 20 years old now , time flies as they say .

Nick1150

Visit site
Hello Paul,

I am enjoying these "facts of life" as you said since 2019, D6/ DPH in a Cranchi 41 Endurance... After 5 years I can confirm what you say.... proper maintenance is the key and some luck, but you cannot be lucky every day :D .... I have had sporadic alarms in the middle of nowhere (and those who really sail know what that means), without any reason what so ever!

D6 is a strange kind of machine-creature.... I have lost trust, and trust is needed when you are 20-30 miles away from shore.

Just my 2c

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Hello Paul,

I am enjoying these "facts of life" as you said since 2019, D6/ DPH in a Cranchi 41 Endurance... After 5 years I can confirm what you say.... proper maintenance is the key and some luck, but you cannot be lucky every day :D .... I have had sporadic alarms in the middle of nowhere (and those who really sail know what that means), without any reason what so ever!

D6 is a strange kind of machine-creature.... I have lost trust, and trust is needed when you are 20-30 miles away from shore.

Just my 2c
Quite right , unfortunately when they designed the D6 and the 4 we all thought it was a great improvement over the earlier KAD series and fitted in between to replace the lower end TAMD 73/74/75 in some applications. What we didn't know was that it would be a throw away block , the material that the coolers are made of is a joke , the overall design is just a big money maker for the parts supply network.
The HCU and PCU don't last and are a massively expensive item to replace . Of course for Volvo they got it absolutely spot on in terms of revenue return.