Boat not been lifted for 9 years- advice sought regarding purchase

Tam Lin

Visit site
Lots of good advice so far. Photos can be deceptive. Boats never look as good in real life! Owners always talk up their boats. Even if you get her cheap with the idea of fixing her up it will end up costing more than buying a sorted example. How do I know? I made the mistake of adding up what I have spent on Tam Lin then I had to go and lie down in a dark room for a while. Also, do you like sailing or fixing boats? Take the advice, walk away.

dave220

Visit site

Yes that is the one. Not seen the advert on gumtree but he also had her on ebay at the same price. She was 28000 last week with the same broker. No electronics to speak of on her and maintenance consist of engine servicing with no receipts to show. I have asked for more up to date pictures as the exterior ones are a good few years old

Alan ashore

Visit site
Why not see if there are a few more candidate boats on the South Coast (I'd be surprised if not, given that I think you are saying that you don't have a very precise target spec.), and come down for a couple or more days to see them all? If you saw 2 others, then you can see it as 170 miles per boat.

I'd agree with others that 9 years in a mud birth without a lift is not in itself an issue.

A.

markhomer

Visit site
id apply running boots and use for same , id guess all internal electrics will be shot too ,in fact everything , if its been neglected soo long ,

used to work in ship repairers and we used to service a boat that sat in a mud berth , she got more and more anodes every year as steel work below water , prop gaurds , rudders tail shafts props were getting eaten like out of fashion ,(and requiring regular replacement ) this was a well maintained commercial vessel in constant use , range recovery vessel , solway firth .

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
The vendor Is having a laugh if you've got to factor in osmosis and a new engine and sterngear. What I find hard to understand is the £10k difference in price between Gumtree and Lochin. Even more so is the assertion on Gumtree that it 'Has been updated over the years and maintained constantly.' Doesn't sound as though the guy is of sound mind really.:confused:

Aardee

Visit site
Irrespective of the possible condition of this particular boat, wouldn't it be easier to refine your search to boats located a bit closer to you? - At least that way you can look for yourself rather than relying on pictures & second-hand reports.

JumbleDuck

Visit site
The vendor Is having a laugh if you've got to factor in osmosis and a new engine and sterngear. What I find hard to understand is the £10k difference in price between Gumtree and Lochin. Even more so is the assertion on Gumtree that it 'Has been updated over the years and maintained constantly.'

Hah. I drove 100 miles each way to see a boat which the selling broker - one of the biggest on the Clyde - assured me was constantly maintained. When I got there he admitted that the owner had practically abandoned her. She was bright green, the galley lockers were full of water which had been coming through the deck or coachroof and a hole in the nice teak/holly floor had been mended by having a 6" square of rough ply screwed over it.

Tranona

Visit site
The vendor Is having a laugh if you've got to factor in osmosis and a new engine and sterngear. What I find hard to understand is the £10k difference in price between Gumtree and Lochin. Even more so is the assertion on Gumtree that it 'Has been updated over the years and maintained constantly.' Doesn't sound as though the guy is of sound mind really.:confused:

Not sure why you say it might need new engine. Thankfully it does not have the original but a modern replacement MD22 - usually a big plus on a boat like this.

Not to say that overall the boat is a good buy, but engine is probably one of the better bits about it.

fireball

Visit site
Nine years in the water is nothing - most marina based boats will clock that up in ten years or so, and 2005 boats don't all need osmosis treatment. Similarly, seacocks and skin fittings do not all need replaced by nine years old. They might, if the makers used brass, but most won't. Anodic protection is irrelevant since seacocks and skin fittings are not, in the UK, bonded.

It really does depend very much on the type of boat.
That's why I said "I'd assume a certain level" and "underwater metalwork could've suffered - maybe ok, but safer to assume not" ... would you drive 250 miles to find out.

Actually - OP - you may find a local forumite may be able to take a look for you and feed back their thoughts having seen the boat first hand..

it sounds like it's for sale direct by owner and not through a broker.

Although now having read the rest of the thread I'd look elsewhere ...

Last edited:

JumbleDuck

Visit site
Having looked at the pictures am I the only who can't understand why owners do not "de-clutter" (i.e. take all the cr+p off) before they try to sell their boat?

You see this all over the place. Many or perhaps most pictures of boats for sale could be improved enormously with ten minutes work and a large cardboard box. I think it's because most people don't really want to sell, so they leave their stuff around to mark their territory and deter buyers. "Sorry dear, still no offers."

Skylark

Visit site
Yes that is the one. Not seen the advert on gumtree but he also had her on ebay at the same price. She was 28000 last week with the same broker. No electronics to speak of on her and maintenance consist of engine servicing with no receipts to show. I have asked for more up to date pictures as the exterior ones are a good few years old

£28k, £25,500 or £18,950. Doesn't really matter which. Far too high a risk. Walk away. If you have that sort of budget and want a decent 35 footer, you'll almost certainly find something suitable within North Wales.

From the pictures it looks like a dog........and they are old pictures. Goodness only knows what it looks like today. Just because HR built it, doesn't mean it's any good today Don't do it!

No, no, no.

dave220

Visit site
Thanks for all your help and advice. A forum member has very kindly offered to have a look at her as he is going to a chandlers nearby. It will be reassuring to get an unbiased opinion even if it turns out to be a dog. At least I will know I didn't miss a bargain.

Last edited: