Boat not been lifted for 9 years- advice sought regarding purchase

Babylon

Visit site
Fantastic thread!

I can't believe so much has been contributed by so many to such little avail.

A cursory scan of the first dozen or so posts clearly demonstrated that the boat was obviously both brown&sticky and ludicrously overpriced. As a full restoration project (if the OP was looking for such) it might have been worth a few grand but no more.

Plenty of other similar boats of that era available in considerably better condition and at realistic prices in the current market.

Niffler

Visit site
Agreed, but it seemed like one or two had to passionately defend the merits of a grubby, knackered boat and just how lovely they are. Then they realised that actually, this one is just too grubby and knackered.

doug748

Visit site
Fantastic thread!

I can't believe so much has been contributed by so many to such little avail.

A cursory scan of the first dozen or so posts clearly demonstrated that the boat was obviously both brown&sticky and ludicrously overpriced. As a full restoration project (if the OP was looking for such) it might have been worth a few grand but no more.

Plenty of other similar boats of that era available in considerably better condition and at realistic prices in the current market.

Don't take on so.

Dave has his head screwed on. He is a practical bloke. He likes the style of boat, suspected it was too much for too little, a volunteer saved him a wasted trip. In the unlikely event that the vendor loosens up considerably, his hat is still in the ring.

Looks like a great result for the forum to me.

Babylon

Visit site
Dave has his head screwed on...In the unlikely event that the vendor loosens up considerably, his hat is still in the ring.

Looks like a great result for the forum to me.

Substantiates the forum, yes, but the whole thing was and is a waste of time as the vendor is as serious about actually selling as he's been about maintaining the unfortunate vessel for the last decade.

Reminds me of when I was flat-hunting for my first home in the 80s (in a fast-moving property market) and my old man came to a second viewing of a particular one-bed flat I really liked. He said to not bother with that one. I didn't understand, I replied, the flat is on the market! No, said the old man, the vendor (who was present at the viewing) isn't interested in selling, he just gets a kick out of having people come and admire where he lives. My old man was 100% spot on - the flat was still on the market three years later!

Like I said, a waste of time - just like the thousands of neglected vessels which clutter boatyards and front gardens up and down the country.