Beta 14 - draining coolant when drain plug seized

RichardS

N/A
Visit site
Look for the lowest hose/spigot on the entire cooling system, possibly a hose from the block to the heat exchanger or it might even be a calorifier connection on the calorifier itself. If you can drain it by removing the hose from the spigot at that lowest point and also remove the pressure/filler cap, you will drain out most, if not all, of the old coolant.

Depending upon the design, it might take a while with the thermostat in situ, unless you remove it, but it should find its way out.

Richard

Last edited:

dankilb

Visit site
^^^ +1

The pep cock of whatever it’s called always blocks, sometimes irreparably, if it’s like the bigger engines.

I reckon most of the coolant finds its way out (around thermostat etc.) if you pop the lowest hose of and leave it for a while.

GraemeS

Visit site
I had the same problem and in the end the engine had to come out for a gearbox oil leak so at the same time I had a go at the drain plug. It came out with lots of localised heat from a gas welding torch. I replaced the plug with 2 off 45 deg street elbows leaving it pointing in a more sensible direction. I fitted a tap on the end and plug to ensure no accidental draining of the engine.

I think its worth perusing because I found that it took quite a lot of digging around to clear the crud to allow the coolant to run out the engine. I suspect the engine had never had the drain plug out since installation (10 ish years ago) into the boat. I flushed the engine many times before refitting. I must add that the engine has never overheated but it must have had a hot spot where the crud had built up over time.