Berthing under sail.

sjdtuk

Visit site
Done it a couple of times both when engine had failed both onto pontoons. Chose the easiest ones available.
Used the dinghy & 5hp outboard to leave StVaast when the engine hydraulics had filled the bilges.

All on a Nic 45.

maby

Visit site
I would be fascinated to learn what you are going to say when you have a word with these people who are sailing and who you are going to report the matter to?

I assume he would point out that they are breaking the marina rules and report it to the marina manager.

Blueboatman

Visit site
A stout bucket thrown off the back ( tied on) does help to slow and turn the boat.

Spent many happy years on wooden boats where engines were honestly described as 'auxiliary' ..with cute nicknames like ' ooh you little shxt'..

Current boat I love to sail on and off the anchor, tho respect to others in tight surroundings precludes moorings solo . Which is a shame as practise is never time wasted.. TC reckons a mob or close manoeuvre under sail on ' mine' is a bit of a handful as there is generous cutaway at the front, tho I have found it pretty good indeed picking up natures treasures from the sea , under main only, once you roll the genoa away.

It's all good fun and we should encourage it IMO.

Last edited:

Giblets

Visit site
Once only on B-i-L's Nic 32 coming up the Thames to St Kats on a flood tide when the engine failed just past the Millennium Dome. Nearly bumped Tower Bridge with the mast and managed to pop her alongside HMS President's pontoon (much to the annoyance of the OOW therein) prior to a tow into St Kats. Not good for the heart rate!!!

Have sailed my little boat on and off the anchor several times. Quite easy in a "Wayfarer with a lid" :D

doug748

Visit site
I used to sail on and off my swinging mooring more often than not. It saves the engine, if you just go out for the day, and do not trouble it. Anchoring is simple as well. My new mooring has a lot of tide over it and I am not so likely to tackle it without starting the engine, which defeats the object. Being singlehanded, I only remember coming alongside under sail once.

If the subtext of your question that you may be thinking of having a go yourself, then I would say tha most important piece of advice is:
Tide......be very wary if it is strong, particularly if the wind is fickle. As you stall up to the buoy there is often only one short window to pick it up. A low windage, deep, heavyish boat helps a great deal.

AntarcticPilot

www.cooperandyau.co.uk
I would be fascinated to learn what you are going to say when you have a word with these people who are sailing and who you are going to report the matter to?

To the marina management. Most marinas explicitly prohibit manouvering under sail within the marina; given the potential for damage and the limited space, that seems to me to be an entirely reasonable prohibition. If I needed to enter a marina and had no engine, I'd certainly call the marina and ask for permission/help before attempting to enter.

I have sailed onto a pontoon, but that was in a location where there were no other vessels on the pontoon, and the pontoon isn't in an enclosed basin. It was a case of needs must after an engine failure at sea; I changed our destination to a place where I was certain I could sail alongside.

Of course, in common with many of us, I routinely sailed a dinghy alongside in my youth. That was a Heron, sailed single-handed. But I submit there's a big difference between a light dinghy that I can stop by holding on and a yacht weighing several tons!

Incidentally, I've just read "Racundra's First Cruise" by Arthur Ransome. He had an engine, but it wasn't functioning, and he sailed into every anchorage or harbour. It is clear that minor damage to paintwork was accepted as a matter of course, and that in the majority of cases, they warped into harbours rather than sailing in.

Champagne Murphy

Visit site
Best I've ever seen was a Galway Hooker at Roundstone in Ireland. He had no engine and put the boat alongside a huge stone harbour wall without a bump. The man had skill I could only dream about.

prv

Visit site
he sailed into every anchorage or harbour. It is clear that minor damage to paintwork was accepted as a matter of course, and that in the majority of cases, they warped into harbours rather than sailing in.

I guess scraped paintwork is easier to stomach when you rub down and repaint the topsides every spring anyway. Bit different when it needs gelcoat repairs.

It's clear from my 1930s pilot book that anchoring in harbours was far more common than now, requiring less precision. Even inside Yarmouth, there's discussion of where best to anchor, though "hiring moorings" from the boatbuilder is also recommended. Some places talk about securing between a buoy and the harbour wall, often with the assistance of "a local man in a dinghy" and complete with advice on how big a tip to give him :). Basically, with fewer yachts around in those days, there was more space to manoeuvre. It's a mistake to think that they could all have sailed effortlessly into our modern marina fingers. There is only one floating pontoon marina mentioned in the entire book - the term used is "maritime garage" - and although the author praises this innovation for its ease and convenience once you're tied up, he advises entering such a confined space only at slack water.

Pete

fireball

Visit site
I've sailed in and out of a marina - the engine was working fine - but it was more fun to sail. Having helmed dinghies with no engine for most of my life I did have an idea of what I was doing ... also, the bay we were in was just about clear of other boats.

It's one of those things where you need to be sensible about it - no good messing about sailing into a tightly packed marina where you have no room for error - but if you've got a reasonable spot (like a hammer head or the next one in with an empty berth next to you) and conditions are fine then why not?

Usually if we're practising sailing into/outof berths then the engine will be on tickover ...

sighmoon

Visit site
I wouldn't want to risk damaging anyone's pride and joy for the sake of sharpening my skills. Apart from the danger of being in a confined space with limited options to maneuvre, quite often the wind in a marina is not predictable, as it bends around sea walls and buildings.

On the current boat (38'), I haven't sailed into a marina, but I have sailed out of one (Falmouth). Wind direction and berth conspired to make it possible.

If anchoring in an emptyish bay, we generally arrive and depart under sail.

Gerry

www.gerryantics.blogspot.com
Done it twice, both times on to crowded pontoon due to engine failure. Both times very stressful but, thank god, successful. Once with a full crew which was much easier to handle, rope for everyone, person to chuck bucket to slow us down, calm conditions. Second time, just the two of us, rising wind, river current and space between the Spanish coastguard and Spanish police launch. Not nice....
Bowman 40, who behaved very well!

Best I ever saw was Ashley Butler on his Morecombe Bay Prawner Ziska, two up. Sailed in to Vilamoura marina, turned the boat on a sixpence and came alongside so gently it took my breath away-respect!

chrisedwards

Visit site
Practically every time with a junk rig - the safety margin is so much bigger when you can drop all sails instantly. This allows you to practice.

lustyd

Visit site
It depends on the marina and I have always asked permission first... Hence my query.

The responses were right about my intention. If you read what I said this would only be in an instance where someone was sailing into a busy marina, not just sailing to a pontoon. The point being that while it's safe to sail onto an empty hammerhead next to the entrance it's not safe to sail into all berths. If you've had engine failure then stop somewhere easy - I've done this several times as I said onto buoys and pontoons but in all cases I chose somewhere with the right wind, tide and without too many other boats. I would report a boat to a marina for several reasons, first it's generally against the rules. Second, my boat and other boats may get damaged and I want to prevent that happening. Third, the boat sailing may not have a radio to call in and might need assistance. As for what I'd say to the skipper, that would depend on their reasons. If they were just sharpening their skills in a busy marina then my words would be a little more shouty than if they had had engine failure in which case I'd explain the anchor to them :)

john_morris_uk

yachtserendipity.wordpress.com
The responses were right about my intention. If you read what I said this would only be in an instance where someone was sailing into a busy marina, not just sailing to a pontoon. The point being that while it's safe to sail onto an empty hammerhead next to the entrance it's not safe to sail into all berths. If you've had engine failure then stop somewhere easy - I've done this several times as I said onto buoys and pontoons but in all cases I chose somewhere with the right wind, tide and without too many other boats. I would report a boat to a marina for several reasons, first it's generally against the rules. Second, my boat and other boats may get damaged and I want to prevent that happening. Third, the boat sailing may not have a radio to call in and might need assistance. As for what I'd say to the skipper, that would depend on their reasons. If they were just sharpening their skills in a busy marina then my words would be a little more shouty than if they had had engine failure in which case I'd explain the anchor to them :)

Good luck!

I am reminded of a story (from Libby Purvis I think?) where she had made an overnight passage and was woken by some lads partying on a nearby boat. She stuck her head out if the hatch and yelled at them to be quiet as some people actually went sailing. She then discovered that they had just arrived from a transatlantic crossing.

Be careful who you tell how to use their anchor might be one suggestion? Of course if some maniac is bouncing off people's pride and joy as they sail without control jn the vicinity of other boats I can imagine some choice language as their insurance details are requested.

Last edited:

Sybarite

Visit site
Skimming through old log-books, as old sailors do from time to time, I wondered how many present-day sailors of boats of 30ft or more berth under sail?
Or have never berthed under sail?

If the topic has been discussed in recent times, I would be grateful for a pointer.

I have had to do it of necessity a few times both to buoys and in a marina.

The best I saw was a French boat which entered the marina under spinnaker, dropped it, jibed around and glided into its berth.

I have also seen a "Requin" - a bit like a Dragon - tacking up between the pontoons in the marina at La Trinité to reach its own berth on the inside.

Last edited: