B and G Zeus3 questions

lampshuk

Visit site
Hi, all I am helping a friend set up some of the features of his Z3 system as we sail down to Gib. It's a 3-screen system on a very nice new (to him) Bavaria C45. The original supplier is long-since disconnected from the scene and although we have downloaded a copy of the rather delphic user manual some questions remain. Any prompts about where to look would be much appreciated. In no particular order:

1) How to activate the tack function? Boat type is set to sailing but the option is backed out.

2) How to change the alert siren volume? It's barely audible, which rather defeats the object.

3) The 3 MFDs are networked. Is it possible to give each a different name? When connecting to WiFi you need to pick one to remote control, and it is impossible to distinguish which is which until you get in.

4) Is it really the case that the iPhone remote app can only view what you put on the screen of the plotter manually? The android app can control completely (though the pinch-zoom does not work well)

5) the Halo20 radar seems to go into standby mode within 20 seconds of being woken up. I can't find a setting to control this. What am I missing?

6) 2 of the 3MFD's are displaying patches of some weird overlay on the chart (the one with the Navioncs card is the one without the overlay). It looks like some sort of weather data and doesn't follow any geographical features. Overlays are turned off. It makes the chart hard to read, but not a fatal problem.

Heading past Finisterre now, so having the chance to get some pointers before we part company with the coastline and 4G (better coverage here, 10 miles off the coat of Galicia than at home in Hampshire!)

Thanks all.

Lampsh.

lustyd

Visit site
The download of the user manual isn't all that useful, there is one in the box that actually is quite useful so worth checking the lockers for some paperwork.

1. Do you mean tack when under autopilot? If so, this relies on various wind data so check there first. Obviously you also need to be in an autopilot mode that supports tacking - I forget which, but not all do.

2. fit a speaker, the system isn't designed to be all that loud. There is a volume control in the swipe down menu though I think.

3. If they're networked you can fit a central wifi network rathat than connect to each individually. You can name them in the app for remoting.

4. No, the iphone app controls everything but autopilot. Use the Link app, it's better.

5. no idea, other than to say that mine doesn't do this. Are you controlling it from multiple displays maybe? Do you have your master/groups set up?

6. There was a thread about this recently, it is fixable and it is on purpose. I'll see if I can find it.

7...make sure you sync and save tracks before turning off the power, otherwise they can corrupt and you lose the info.

8...when your screen appears to be black it's in night mode, either put a towel over your head or memorise the shortcut to put it into day mode. Lots of threads on this!

lampshuk

Visit site
Thanks, LD. Will try and update.

Yes, re Autopilot. I will check about modes but we are in heading mode and that should have no problem.
It has a separate WiFi controller and it's that we connect to (using the Link app) but we have to pick a screen to connect to and they all have the same name.

The only hardcopy available is the noddy getting started guide.

Your help very much appreciated!

Lampsh.

lustyd

Visit site
I think you may need wind mode for tacking. Worth a look in the NAC manual too as there was a whole setup shenanigans there I had to do. Not actually sure I've tried tacking yet either to be fair!

Name might be under network settings, but pretty sure I named them in the link app. As you'd expect it won't let me see anything away from the boat so will try to check this weekend

lampshuk

Visit site
Here is one
Thanks, LD. Will try and update.

Yes, re Autopilot. I will check about modes but we are in heading mode and that should have no problem.
It has a separate WiFi controller and it's that we connect to (using the Link app) but we have to pick a screen to connect to and they all have the same name.

The only hardcopy available is the noddy getting started guide.

Your help very much appreciated!

Lampsh.
Quick update. The "readonly problem" is caused because Link won't let you take control of any screen that has an active autopilot control menu. It was just a coincidence that we tried with ipad and android on different screens.

An understandable constraint, but I was looking forward to messing with the minds of the watch on deck from my bunk...

But it won't even let you change Zoom etc, which isn't ideal. Still...not the biggest problem in the world at the moment.

Cheers!

Jamie Dundee

Visit site
#3 If it’s the same as the Simrad NSS series if you go into ‘network’ you can allocate a name to each device. Worth a try.

BA7981AB-9D23-4AFB-BD50-9F4553A4BB59.png

lampshuk

Visit site
#3 If it’s the same as the Simrad NSS series if you go into ‘network’ you can allocate a name to each device. Worth a try.

View attachment 136606
Tnx. Will have a stab.

Progress on the coloured seabed, thanks to the link. It was just on regions in or adjacent to Portugal. The coloured seabed option is "hidden" in the extended part (scroll down) of the "more options" menu in the charts.
Thanks for the pointer!

lustyd

Visit site
The "readonly problem" is caused because Link won't let you take control of any screen that has an active autopilot control menu.
Beware, it also stops if you accidentally hit the autopilot menu on the side, with no way to close it remotely