Are Brits prudes!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
When sailing (in the sun) we have seen so many naked crews out on the sea who don’t seem to give a dam and wave back wiggling their parts quiet happily.

Strangely enough they all seem to be foreign flagged. It is also strange that we don’t find sailing a boat naked the least bit offensive yet if a male was walking around the marina naked us Brits would be the first people coughing and spluttering and looking away.

I suspect that the Brits also get their clothes off but only when they cannot be seen by the Hubble telescope and at the first sign of a seagull everything goes back on.

So, are the Brits prudes?

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
I think it's more a case of what an individuals comfort zone is. Have had Brits onboard who embrace the naturist idea, fine as long as they put something on if (on the rare occasion) we are going into a marina or when anchored surrounded by boats with young families. To some that may sound prudish, to me it's a sense of decency.

Summer spectator sport, how many willies can be spotted before breakfast hehe.

Hey Nostro, it's a flat calm and the sun is shining :). Hope to see you here soon :)

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
I think it's more a case of what an individuals comfort zone is. Have had Brits onboard who embrace the naturist idea, fine as long as they put something on if (on the rare occasion) we are going into a marina or when anchored surrounded by boats with young families. To some that may sound prudish, to me it's a sense of decency.

Summer spectator sport, how many willies can be spotted before breakfast hehe.

Hey Nostro, it's a flat calm and the sun is shining :). Hope to see you here soon :)

After our last exciting sail I decided that we shouldn't sail in anything below a F8. Don't do flat calm any more. The trouble is we are waiting for a couple of boats to catch us up which should be this week. Also made some wonderful friends here and Swimbo spends the days somewhere or other chatting and drinking. We are ready to move on though and should be leaving (fully clothed of course) this week.

SamanthaTabs

Visit site
Flat calm in the anchorage, no bobbing around which is what everyone enjoys. Lovely, peaceful and easy to get ashore :) Can see several boats out sailing.

Hope you find weather conditions that fit your criteria :) It is, as you say in the other thread, great when dinghy pulls up and drinks etc are suggested. For sure you'll all enjoy actually experiencing that this season :)

See you soon!

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
What tattooed on their!!
That's an interesting idea. Not sure it would catch on though . I am told tattoos hurt a bit
You must have been quite close to notice though

We did have a Dutch boat next to us and she would dive in each morning naked and then shower naked on deck each morning. That was in a marina. Oh how I hated getting up so early each day! Oh and she did have tattoos and a very small cute mole ....

Lakesailor

Visit site
We did have a Dutch boat next to us and she would dive in each morning naked and then shower naked on deck each morning. That was in a marina. Oh how I hated getting up so early each day! Oh and she did have tattoos and a very small cute mole ....
That's rather cruel. Cats or dogs are bad enough on a boat but.........

Nostrodamus

www.cygnus3.com
Originally Posted by Nostrodamus

That's rather cruel. Cats or dogs are bad enough on a boat but.........

Wife said I would go blind if I kept looking... she was right.. she poked me in the eyes

Marakei

Visit site
In the Canary Islands I encountered a man entirely naked except for a lifejacket. The crotch strap created some interesting effects.

Uricanejack

Visit site
Seams to be a very European habit.
The British are not very keen on being European.

Fortunatly most Americans are even less keen than the British

Sandyman

Visit site
Nah nought ta do with Europe.
The Brits problem is that Victorian values and ideals of decency still infect the British lifestyle.
Its why so many come across as having some kind of superiority attitude.
Fortunately we are not infected with such views. Makes life & living with our hosts so much nicer.

Wansworth

Visit site
Being at sea exposes the naked bodyto two lots of sun,direct and reflected plus windburn.....with the increase in skin cáncer exposing "Bits" tp the sun 24/7 could be not a good idea.

bbg

Visit site
Being at sea exposes the naked bodyto two lots of sun,direct and reflected plus windburn.....with the increase in skin cáncer exposing "Bits" tp the sun 24/7 could be not a good idea.

+1. I crossed the Atlantic solo, didn't see another boat for 2 weeks, wore shirts, shorts and hat every day. And a drysuit for three days off the coast of Brazil stupid weather.

Being fair skinned, only 45 and with some lesions removed already the idea of sailing naked seems crazy.

Wansworth

Visit site
Funnily enough its in the north like here in Galicia or the UK where experts are saying the sun burns more even on not particularly sunny days,hats are essential as ears are very susceptable to skin cáncer..

doug748

Visit site
It is morally neutral but in terms of personal safety, delicacy and aesthetics, clothes are best.

I can sit and watch young girls jiging about and never get bored.

However one glimpse of a fat, old Bavarian's cole ole ruins the day.

jordanbasset

Visit site
This is my wife's take on it from our blog;)

'I'm not opposed to the idea of nudism (see "The Nature of Naturism" July 2011). In fact, it makes a lot of sense and quite appeals. I certainly understand why anyone would want to strip off their sweat-soaked clothes and let the breeze dry their skin. Yachties definitely seem to feel the inclination and, perhaps because they have already rid themselves of many of society's conventions, act on the impulse.

Most are reasonably discrete about it. Neighbouring crews may get a quick flash on the bathing ladder or when cockpits (?) drift together but, as a general rule, most keep it under the sunshade or in the sea. I say 'yachties' but what I really mean is Northern Europeans in the Mediterranean - those whose own climates are not usually conducive to removing wet weather gear. Those used to hot summers tend not to indulge. The Italians, for example, might well wear the tightest of budgie smugglers / topless thongs but they don't seem to go the whole hog.

For some reason it seems to be the men who are more forward about letting it all hang out. I blame communal toileting. I don't think I'm a prude and I'm certainly not offended or alarmed by the sight of male genitalia (it's hard to think of a career choice other than prostitution or G.U. surgeon who regularly has to 'deal' with more willies than a nurse) but, come on guys, sometimes it just isn't appropriate.

If you're in an isolated bay, well, ok. If you're in the harbour of a busy Greek town, overlooked by hotels and apartments, with tripper boats weaving between the yachts, could you keep it under wraps? Yes, I'm talking to you - the guy on the British boat parading around the coach roof. Yes, we've all seen it and having a good stretch doesn't improve the sight. Oh,no. Please don't bend down....
http://www.sailblogs.com/member/serenmor/?xjMsgID=234667