Any idea what this is?

Sheppy

Visit site
No, no no and no! :)

How was your rally w/e, all ok with yr boat I hope.

Ah, so you're really at the mercy of this forum then for a answer... Have you googled 'strange marine tools' with their images search?

The rally was fantastic, and thanks for asking. No problems with the boat :) she ran like a dream. We had about 25 boats in the end and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Weather was good, wind could have be lower, but on the whole very fortunate.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Ah, so you're really at the mercy of this forum then for a answer... Have you googled 'strange marine tools' with their images search?

The rally was fantastic, and thanks for asking. No problems with the boat :) she ran like a dream. We had about 25 boats in the end and everyone really enjoyed themselves. Weather was good, wind could have be lower, but on the whole very fortunate.

The forum has failed miserably, that much is clear! :):)

Pleased to hear the rally and your boat went well. All good news.

Dill et Bound

Visit site
We still haven't worked out what it is after 9 pages and 85 posts...
Although most suggestions have been reasonable..
I dont think there is enough [set] in the device to give it any real lever value..
I dont think those roll pin connections are strong enough [ compression would slacken their hold ]

I think it must be a carrying device..or Locator tool..
Perhaps there is another part missing from it, already thrown over the side..:encouragement:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
We still haven't worked out what it is after 9 pages and 85 posts...
Although most suggestions have been reasonable..
I dont think there is enough [set] in the device to give it any real lever value..
I dont think those roll pin connections are strong enough [ compression would slacken their hold ]

I think it must be a carrying device..or Locator tool..
Perhaps there is another part missing from it, already thrown over the side..:encouragement:

Yes, almost all suggestions have been reasonable, and I've tried and investigated almost all of them but still nothing positive to report. I can't imagine that there was ever anything else that's since gone missing, it's just too big!

Maybe this can be a prize in a Christmas raffle, otherwise I'm a little puzzled as to what I do with it, too well made to throw away but equally useless without knowing what to do with it!

epervier

Visit site
IMG_0249_zps2857ee55.jpg

It came with the boat, stored in the engine room, but neither myself or any mechanics I've asked have any idea what it is. It's about 2' long and the main part is extremely heavy. The prongs are about 2" apart.

Any suggestions?

LJS, looking again at your picture, could it be an emergency gearbox manual lever? not rotational 360 but moves in a small arc, for fwd/neut/astern, I know grasping at straws, but it's starting to get to me now.

sarabande

Visit site
moving now into the realms of the exotic...

There are three pin wrenches used in shooting to install moderators (silencers)

View attachment 42607

Which leads me to suggest that it may be used for the face plate of a waterpump on the engines, or something circular which needs a bit of power to screw it home tightly.

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk

View attachment 42607

Which leads me to suggest that it may be used for the face plate of a waterpump on the engines, or something circular which needs a bit of power to screw it home tightly.

Haha! I have visions of LJS now as an assassin! :cool: Just how much did you know about the former owner John - and more to the point, why he's no longer with us? :ambivalence:

epervier

Visit site

View attachment 42607

Now we're cooking, have you any fwd deck mounts suitable for a bofor this could be the ultimate silencer key:D