Any idea what this is?

sarabande

Visit site
LJS is the hole in the end of the device a circular one, or does it have a flat ? If it's circular, it might mean the tool fits over a rotatable shaft then slides along to engage the prongy bits further down.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
LJS is the hole in the end of the device a circular one, or does it have a flat ? If it's circular, it might mean the tool fits over a rotatable shaft then slides along to engage the prongy bits further down.

It's completely round, no flats. Whatever it is, it's well made, the black handle turns on the shaft and it's all very heavy.

I always assumed it was something to do with the stabilisers but 2 different and very experienced Trac people have both said no.

Still a mystery.

Firefly625

Visit site
It's completely round, no flats. Whatever it is, it's well made, the black handle turns on the shaft and it's all very heavy.

I always assumed it was something to do with the stabilisers but 2 different and very experienced Trac people have both said no.

Still a mystery.

is your windlass the original one supplied with the boat? If not, the tool may have been for the previous windlass?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Sherlock here .... :)

I've looked at the .pdf s for the Trac stabiliser range, and wonder if it is a tool used as part of the installation / commissioning process ?

The pdfs have details of the sizes of shafts and trunnions. Can you measure the internal diameter of the device please ?

http://www.thrusters.com/products/stabilizers.shtm

Will do, down to boat again on Monday, sounds like you could be on the right track! Or Trac:)

vas

Visit site
Will do, down to boat again on Monday, sounds like you could be on the right track! Or Trac:)

If Sherlock is right, you may have to question the experience of the 2 Trac engineers...
OTOH, if it has to do with the stabs, having a hand handle that rotates freely implies it's going to be used to revolve a number of times and not do a quarter turn or so in order to "park" the stabs, so probably not Trac.

It's always fun trying to figure out what something you find in the bilges do. Played that game a few times with MiToS and funnily enough, 3out of 4 bits that I've found are put back in use (spare trim tabs pump anyone?)

Needless to say I've no clue, your craft is way too young for me :p

cheers

V.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
If Sherlock is right, you may have to question the experience of the 2 Trac engineers...
OTOH, if it has to do with the stabs, having a hand handle that rotates freely implies it's going to be used to revolve a number of times and not do a quarter turn or so in order to "park" the stabs, so probably not Trac.

It's always fun trying to figure out what something you find in the bilges do. Played that game a few times with MiToS and funnily enough, 3out of 4 bits that I've found are put back in use (spare trim tabs pump anyone?)

Needless to say I've no clue, your craft is way too young for me :p

cheers

V.

IMG_0250_zps1173dd26.jpg

Another pic of the main bit. Vas, the Trac engineer who serviced the stabs a few weeks back was excellent and knew exactly what he was doing, (and saved me quite a lot of money by pointing out non branded spares which could be bought at a fraction of the Trac item, but manufactured by the same company) so if he doesn't know, then I'm puzzled.

Eos is probably not much younger than yours, she's over 25yrs old!

longjohnsilver

Visit site
You could always make something to use it on ,do you have a tender crane

Good thinking, yes we do have a crane which has always worried me a little as it's electric with no way of manually hauling the tender in. However I can't see how we could attach something to make it manual.

longjohnsilver

Visit site
OK, someone has to ask - how does a crane become tender and where does it get tender?
Yes, it is a slow afternoon!
Is there a prize for getting it's correct usage right?:D:D

There would be if I knew what the right answer was! And yes, it is a slow afternoon, blowing a hoolie here in Devon

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
Same here in Hampshire, have just been to the Hamble and it's blowing a F7-8 there. I suspect it might be an unpleasant day at sea.
Bramble met is showing the following right now
Wind
Mean Speed 36.1 kn (F8)
Highest Gust 42.3 kn (F9)
Direction WSW

Firefly625

Visit site
I very rarely work on the weekend, but I'm in the office today I can confirm pretty quiet here too, but our flags are flying well!

Now John, just to confirm, this handle isn't for your davits is it?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I very rarely work on the weekend, but I'm in the office today I can confirm pretty quiet here too, but our flags are flying well!

Now John, just to confirm, this handle isn't for your davits is it?

Hmm let me think..........no, we don't have any davits so probably not,