Any idea what this is?

sarabande

Visit site
we must invent something ineffably nautical so that you can use it.

I have this picture in my mind of LJS crawling round the bilges and ferreting through all the lockers with The Device in his hand, and muttering, "No, nothing here; nor here,..."

Ah, what model stabilisers do you have please ?

longjohnsilver

Visit site
Trac 220 I think.

I'm going to use this as a priest for all the large fish I'm going to catch, if only I knew how to fish!

rbcoomer

www.swfbr.org.uk
A cranking handle seems unlikely to me as the pins wouldn't release quick enough and would result in injury. Some form of spring winding seemed possible, but apart from the big clock suggestion I can't think of anything that you'd wind up! The most likely seems to be a tool to release something or perhaps a tool for holding a pulley or similar that would otherwise rotate in order that a retaining nut etc can be released? How are props held on - are there by chance three holes in retaining nuts and are shafts of a size that would fit through the centre hole? (If not inside the boat, thinking what might be outside!)

Dill et Bound

Visit site
Whatever it is, those roll pins would connect it reasonably securely.. Then lever off..
I think I am with Sarabande, Its something to do with the Stabilizer installation,
Can t believe that we haven't solved it for you yet Longjohn..

epervier

Visit site
LJS, I know the answer,

First you give it a float test, when it fails, it will become clear as day what it's for, it may take time but as sure as eggs are eggs, when it's lost to the briny you'll find out eggsactly what it's for:encouragement:

longjohnsilver

Visit site
I know what it is, its a blunt weapon that John is going to hit us all with if we can't think of anything else to call it!

It's an excellent cudgel, it can be swung round with great speed. Maybe I should hire it to film companies out when they make something based in medieval times.

caiman

Visit site
I used to work on a boat fitted with the spring type starters and can say that the object in question has nothing to do with the type of spring starters(same as in the diagram)as fitted on 'my' boat.
Does your gearbox have a 'get you home' feature,maybe hidden under a plate?Only a thought.
Good luck with your search.
Cheers.

Floating Preferably

Visit site
Ok it's now officially for hire, although I expect to see no blood or any other human matter on return :)

A most gracous offer LJS, but I will stck with my very carefully (and conveniently ) stowed winch handle, with rubber hand grip so it does not fall from one's grasp while operating the winch handle in a boisterous manner. It may also make an unwanted boarder recosider his options. . . .:encouragement:
If you ever find the real application for your mystery device, please share it with us.

Chris_d

Visit site
Looks very much like a offset bilge pump handle, have you got a large manual pump hidden somewhere, the largest whale pumps were always white.

Sheppy

Visit site
Anything to do with the heads or plumbing, manual flush handle etc? Have you asked the previous owner or is that just too defeatist :)