Another Newbie...

BarryD

Visit site
Like Ian_C I'm pretty new to the water. A couple of business partners of my wife have recently bought a 31' IT Cruiser Holiday 2838. She's been out on a few times and is hooked. I was down on Sunday (9th) and must admit that I want one too! But I've known this for a long time I just couldn't work out how to convince her.

I've been on the Norfolk broads for boating holidays and always enjoyed them. I'm a flying student (25 hours) so navigation skills, air (sea) rules and RT practice should be no different - however I'm signing up for RYA course ASAP - and I need some basic handling skills - espically in sea / wave approach.

However - what sort of craft? Assume that whatever I purchase will be replaced in three years or so once I've learnt how to moor and handle the thing. Petrol or Diesel - Diesel boats command a higher inital price and at 96p a litre the go-juice for petrol ones hurts (we spent £100 going from Northallerton to Cowes and back). I've a young son (3) so safety is paramount - we like comfort and to party with pals, so an aft cabin 4 / 6 berth could be a requirement. My budget is up to £27k or thereabouts assuming that I'll "burn" a further £3k for survey, insurance and some fit out elements. I also would like a boat that is sea ready and not one that requires work. Fettling is fine - but I'm no mechanic, so the marina where it lives will need a workshop.

Can the board help me to work out a sensible craft? Having driven the 31' Holiday, and with my experience I'd say that anything over 35' is just going to end up parked at the bottom of the Solent or sunk at the moorings. Also what mooring fees should I anticipate? If I wish to keep the craft on the South Coast?

Finally - I know that ships are old fashioned but why do so few web site brokerages answer emails? Or are willing to send / fax layout plans.

Sorry for a long first post!

BarryD

Signature on a computer?

peterg

Visit site
you could start by searching....

www.boats-for-sale.com and/or www.ancasta.co.uk and enter your selection criteria (£20-30k, 25-35 feet, diesel etc..) and have a look at what's out there plus of course the 'boats for sale' section of the YBW website! It's also worth looking at www.waltonmarine.co.uk and www.riverboatsforsale.co.uk

Personally, I would look for either single diesel with bowthruster (like my Nimbus31 which happens to be for sale but unfortunately is out of your range by about +£50k) or twin diesels for economy, safety and ease of handling.

BTW- single outdrive boats all 'wander' at low speed which can be off-putting and you will either learn to cope or hate it (I coped but my wife hated it so we went to shaftdrive for the next boat which is much better)

Get a good survey done and use it to negotiate on the price if work is needed and after purchase, get a Sea Safety Check from your local RNLI advisor to check you are properly equipped for going to sea without calling them out too frequently!

Mooring fees on the South Coast vary from expensive to plain horrendous - for example, MDL will charge you at least £4k+ for a 31foot boat in one of their marinas and you may have to go on a waiting list if you can't buy a boat with a mooring available with it (which ours is incidentally). There are cheaper places (Brighton for instance but there's not really anywhere to cruise to if you want just a short trip on a Sunday unlike the Solent, Hamble and Poole etc.) or you may be able to get a mid-river mooring but then there's no electricity/water/security and you have to cart everything by dinghy and that will be a pain with a little 'un.

Have a good look round and speak to people with different boats to see what they like/dislike about them and work out what you NEED rather than what you would like - ie. don't search for six fullsize berths if 99% of the time it will be just you, the missus and young 'un staying on board, guests will muck in and cope for a night or two of mild discomfort just for the chance to tell friends they are "staying on a boat at the weekend".

Good luck

ccscott49

Visit site
I wholheartedly agree with peter, sound advice without b......t. The southcoast is very expensive, but as peter says, look around you may find suitable moorings in unusual places. Remember one very important thing when looking at motor boats, they rely on engines, so a good engine instalation is paramount, it may seem obvious, but a lot of people look at the shiy bits, also speed costs money, initially and in fuel, welcome to you too! Colin

ChrisJ

Visit site
A mooring need not be out of the question, even with little ones. It depends on the type of sailing you intend to do.

I know a number of people who keep their boats on cheap moorings. When they go to the boat for the weekend, husband gets dropped off with the dinghy. He rows out to the boat, drops the mooring and motors into the nearest marina. The rest of the family have driven there in the car, and load up the boat with stores, fuel, water etc.

You pay for just one nights marina, and it takes an exta hour or so at the start and end of the trip. This extra 2 hours is too much if you are there just for the day, but if you go for a long weekend once a month, it is not a problem.

Cheers, Chris

G

Re: you could start by searching....

You'll get more sense on the motor boat forum, too. Drop me a line if you want to chgat about the issue of small children/powerboats/Christchurch area etc: graham@dashdash.demon.co.uk