Am I Throwing Good Money After Bad??? Please Help...

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
LOL today is the attention day of the forum.
My hull depth has 1.05 metres at bow from waterline, to about 70 cm aft. Ok the average is less to a metre, forum quickness comes to mind. But with props aft and drives down it is 1.10 metres.
Now a tug will surely have more then that, with the small ones like Nordic Tug or similar have about a full keel bottom with a draft of 1.30 metres, as infact has there 37 model. A Menorquin with a semi displacement hull will also have the same to that!

As for COL agreed!

MapisM

Visit site
LOL today is the attention day of the forum.
My hull depth has 1.05 metres at bow from waterline, to about 70 cm aft.
Yeah, sorry PYB if I appeared pedant, 'twas actually meant as a lighthearted comment! :)
Though now I'm not sure to have understood what you meant anymore.
In your previous post you said a bottom of 10 meters plus 3.60 and an average depth of say 1 metre, so I understood that 1 metre was meant as the average draft - which is a nonsense because 10x3.60x1 means 36 tons of water: a helluva weight for a 10m boat! :eek:
Now you say 1.05 metres at bow from WL, which obviously shows it's not the draft you're talking about. Is it the total hull height maybe?
If so, I would concede that it's not correct to consider only the u/w surface of the hull (as jfm did in his post #11), because in theory a very spongy hull could absorb water also above the WL, due to capillary action.
But this doesn't affect his point in practice: he's absolutely correct when he says that 1T is a ridiculous number for a 55', even after 2 decades, instead of just 2 years in the water...!
Btw, I would have been really curious to hear from that guy how did he actually measure the weight difference. Based on the throttle response, I suppose...? :D

PowerYachtBlog

www.poweryachtblog.com
Ah better not! He was a Maltese constructor in the end where driving a boat and a truck is a bit the same for him....
But I think the weight was from the travelift in the yard.
The draft at bow of 1.05 metre I am saying is waterline till the end of the Vee which for most 35 footers is about 1 metre at forship. Yes my average of 1 metre was another Tuesday blues lapsus ;)
But I have been with surveyors and seeing it myself where some cored boats mostly the balsa or the old expanding foam type actually add weight, these last the worst put some water in the bilges and there u go a weight increase of a substantial difference can be had.
On another note a few years back a friend of myn changed his teak deck on a Fairline 42 Phantom and the ammount of water the laminate in the aft deck had was impressive. To make it short 4 full large buckets of water where taken out. Thank god the deck was not balsa cored cause it would have been a bigger headache. Surely no tons of water but that comes out as like 10kg on a deck which is 1.5 metres x about 3.2 wide.

roykinch

www.powerboatdays.co.uk
What's happened? I only went away for a couple of days and everyone seems to have gone off on one!

Just think i need to say that the hull is sanded right back every year with DA sander and was blasted right back 2 seasons ago so i'm sure the problem isn't anything to do with holding a ton of water on the bottom.

I would like to say thank you to all of your input on this and think we are getting close to solving this one. Just by taking a little bit from all of you i'm painting a picture or should i say creating a plan.

Firstly i will take some readings and log, then strip the boat (nearly as if i was selling), leave all coding requirements, get her lifted and scrubbed hopefully if Jon at Saxons can slot me in this Saturday for a forklift lift, clean and launch, then do a charter for the powerboat racing at the Needles, take some more readings on the way there and back under load, then look at re-proping again. Sounds like a plan!

Have i missed anything?

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
What's happened? I only went away for a couple of days and everyone seems to have gone off on one!

Just think i need to say that the hull is sanded right back every year with DA sander and was blasted right back 2 seasons ago so i'm sure the problem isn't anything to do with holding a ton of water on the bottom.

I would like to say thank you to all of your input on this and think we are getting close to solving this one. Just by taking a little bit from all of you i'm painting a picture or should i say creating a plan.

Firstly i will take some readings and log, then strip the boat (nearly as if i was selling), leave all coding requirements, get her lifted and scrubbed hopefully if Jon at Saxons can slot me in this Saturday for a forklift lift, clean and launch, then do a charter for the powerboat racing at the Needles, take some more readings on the way there and back under load, then look at re-proping again. Sounds like a plan!

Have i missed anything?

Hi Roy, remember what is said a few weeks ago when we met at Ocean village?

Change the props.

Dave_Snelson

www.makeyourowngarments.com
Thank you all for your input, you have helped me think a little straighter, i will be taking a little (if not all) of your very helpful advise. First of all i'm going to go through all the lockers as i think even i could do this, i will ask if i could have a storage box on the pontoon and put all the cleaning products etc into it. I will now try and run at half tanks of fuel and reduce the amount of water in the holding tank.

Answers to questions:
890 hours each (full rebuild to Port side last winter (now 108 hours since) + stripped down Starboard side and skimmed head, acid cleaned cooling parts etc.

3500 revs

No boost gauges

Top speed 32 knts

Valve clearances checked, injectors all overhauled, diesel pumps all reset and tested.

Below is my plans so far -

Weight stripping programme:

Go out as she is & log revs, time to plane, top speed, loadings on engines.
Engine temps.
6+2 crew

Then:
Go through all lockers and strip out all weight.
Run at max half fuel (maybe put on new fuel gauge).
Re-prop - speak to steel developments & mike (lifeboat) & Paul at Coastal Rides.
Reset fuel pumps.
Lift & clean bottom of boat.
Keep water & fuel levels low (work out weight of fuel)

Any other thoughts?

Best regards and thanks again

Roy

Hi Roy - I had a similar problem with my old Windy 8800. I stripped everything out that I had accumulated over some years (that I didn't need) and it made no difference.

You say it leaks water. I looked in my bilges (engine compartment only) which are connected by tapped drains and all was fine - but it turns out it wasn't! The tapped drain from the midships compartment to the engine compartment had become very bunged up and although the engine compartment was free from water, the midships compartment was about 1 foot in depth. I couldn't believe it, the water was covering the lower part of the petrol tank. It took me 15 minutes to pump the water out. This rain water had accumulated over months and when I took it out for a run afterwards...WOW! The difference was amazing.

Just a thought...