Advice Please! Fitting a Navik to a Hurley 22

ClaireDuet

littleyachtduet.com
Hi there, I am just about to fit a Navik to my Hurley 22 but need a bit of advice/experience please.

In the Navik paperwork it says that the mounting bracket should be 80-90cm above the waterline.

Has anyone any experience of mounting it lower than this? Mounted on blocks behind my lazarette locker it has 60-65cm and I would like to hear your views on mounting it this low.

The Hurley 22 has a tendency towards weatherhelm so maybe it would be better lower to give more power, but would it be damaging to have the top of the paddle below the water level?

The manual I have shows an arrangement with the bracket on stainless steel straps attached vertically to the pushpit rail. I've just been quoted £440 for the fabrication of this arrangement which is unfortunately out of my budget.

Would love to hear your thoughts.
Thanks
Claire

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
Hello Claire,

I had a Navik on my Contessa 26.

What sort of pushpit do you have on your Hurley 22?

Does it look like the attachment?

If so there's a simple inexpensive answer!

Attachments

• autoimage-144000_BoatPic_Stern.jpg
    autoimage-144000_BoatPic_Stern.jpg
    63.1 KB · Views: 0

co256

worldwidewaites.blogspot.com
OK,

so the addition/welding of a bar approx 20 cms above deck level would give you a stainless steel tube to mount the main Navik mounting bracket tubes to!

And the lower stays would simply mount to the transom as standard.

If that costs you £440... publish their name on this forum and they will soon go out of business!

All the best.

jerrytug

N/A
Visit site
It doesn't have to be stainless steel, ordinary mild steel will last surprisingly long! And knock a zero off the fabrication price..

LASSALLE

Visit site
Good afternoon;

Hello Claire
If I understand, the Navik is too high ?
I have got one "arbre porte-pale N°17131" more short, 48 cm. About less 15 cm.

JJ

rob2

Visit site
I recall a PBO article on fitting a Navik to a CO26. Like your requirement, the top rackets found themselves halfway between taffrail and pushpit rail. The solution was simply to mount a horizontal hardwood brace across the pushpit uprights at the desired height and mount to that. Most reading on the subject of servo pendulum design suggests that any transom solid enough to carry an outboard is strong enough for the stress imposed by the steering gear, so such a brace will be adequate.

Rob.