Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Good afternoon everyone.
I took part in a most informative meeting with Volvo this morning.
I understand that a prototype replacement is in build and they are in discussions with companies to produce them again.
Delivery is still on target for Q3.

In the meantime, because of the reach that we have achieved in this Forum (thank you all ), I have been asked by Volvo Penta if I can ask anybody out there who has a dead or alive ECU for the following engines sitting on a shelf or in their garage to send it back to Volvo for testing and return to you again once this is done.

If you have a unit for either of the following engine types ONLY please contact me direct at michael@imperial-yachtbrokers.com and I will put you in contact with the relevant people at Volvo.
TAMD 72P-A
TAMD 73P-A

Thank you all again for you support an ongoing interest in this matter.

Mike.
That's great news Mike. There was too much at stake for Volvo or someone else not to find a solution. Some questions if I may!

Did you get a feel for when in the third quarter they expect to start supplying again?
Do you know whether the new ECU's will be different to the legacy ones (your post suggests they will be)?
What's the objective of sending ECU's for testing?
Why are they only interested in testing 72 and 73 series ECU's?

Thanks again.

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk
Good afternoon everyone.
I took part in a most informative meeting with Volvo this morning.
I understand that a prototype replacement is in build and they are in discussions with companies to produce them again.
Delivery is still on target for Q3.

In the meantime, because of the reach that we have achieved in this Forum (thank you all ), I have been asked by Volvo Penta if I can ask anybody out there who has a dead or alive ECU for the following engines sitting on a shelf or in their garage to send it back to Volvo for testing and return to you again once this is done.

If you have a unit for either of the following engine types ONLY please contact me direct at michael@imperial-yachtbrokers.com and I will put you in contact with the relevant people at Volvo.
TAMD 72P-A
TAMD 73P-A

Thank you all again fo ryou support an ongoing interest in thi smatter.

Mike.
Why don’t we just send the one off the boat in question.

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
That's great news Mike. There was too much at stake for Volvo or someone else not to find a solution. Some questions if I may!

Did you get a feel for when in the third quarter they expect to start supplying again?
Do you know whether the new ECU's will be different to the legacy ones (your post suggests they will be)?
What's the objective of sending ECU's for testing?
Why are they only interested in testing 72 and 73 series ECU's?

Thanks again.

Hi Pete,

Two answer your questions in turn-Still awaiting an actual date in Q3 so I am guessing it could be anytime at this stage.
I was encouraged by the efforts that are being made and ever hopeful that it will be early Q3 ( am I setting myself up for a disappointment?).
I got the impression that it will be a replacement unit, not necessarily identical but that it will do the same things. Talks are ongoing with 3rd party manufacturers .
The objective of returning any units out there are that VP hope they can breathe life into one or more units and also ascertain why they fail. I also imagine that if they have also failed that perhaps there may be a common thread for causing the failures to "program" out of the replacements?
I am only asking for help on the 72 and 73 ECU's. I am simply doing my best for the owner of the boat concerned and any other owners who may soon face the same problems.

Thanks again for all the support an interest from everyone.
In the meeting I had it was commented that we have a lot of followers and visits to this thread, so VP are also following us.

Mike.

Portofino

Visit site
Hi Pete,

Two answer your questions in turn-Still awaiting an actual date in Q3 so I am guessing it could be anytime at this stage.
I was encouraged by the efforts that are being made and ever hopeful that it will be early Q3 ( am I setting myself up for a disappointment?).
I got the impression that it will be a replacement unit, not necessarily identical but that it will do the same things. Talks are ongoing with 3rd party manufacturers .
The objective of returning any units out there are that VP hope they can breathe life into one or more units and also ascertain why they fail. I also imagine that if they have also failed that perhaps there may be a common thread for causing the failures to "program" out of the replacements?
I am only asking for help on the 72 and 73 ECU's. I am simply doing my best for the owner of the boat concerned and any other owners who may soon face the same problems.

Thanks again for all the support an interest from everyone.
In the meeting I had it was commented that we have a lot of followers and visits to this thread, so VP are also following us.

Mike.
Makes sense to do a full forensic on them first .
Depending on the results ( common part fails ) they might be able to offer a small upgrade, retro fit Instead of the whole thing .
The upgrade being 2021 tech in terms of components.

This sounds better than just a direct copy by re starting the old production line .

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Makes sense to do a full forensic on them first .
Depending on the results ( common part fails ) they might be able to offer a small upgrade, retro fit Instead of the whole thing .
Apart from the boost pressure sensor, it's extremely unlikely that any other part of the hardware could be replaced (due to the solid potting compound that the circuit board is set in). This is why none of the ECU repairers will touch them.

But, I have heard that re-programing them can work (my broken one is waiting to be re-programmed).

The upgrade being 2021 tech in terms of components.

This sounds better than just a direct copy by re starting the old production line .

I agree. Hopefully, the new ones will be more resilient and will be potted in a softer compound so that they're repairable.

I live in hope that the new ones can be mounted off the engine (where they won't be subject to vibration) and be cheaper!

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
2 Engineers from VP met with me on Wednesday and undertook a very thorough check of the boats control systems.
As expected, the end result was that the unit was declared as "Fried".
There was no point in taking it away for further checking.

As things stand, we are waiting for either a prototype or a refurbished unit to be fitted to our boat for testing but I still have no idea if or when this will happen.

Roll on Q3 for delivery of a new one.

jon and michie

Visit site
Was the engineers sent by volvo in respect of the ecu - if so at least volvo are seen on to the case and taking this problem more seriously.

simonfraser

Visit site
well done for getting through to VP

will these new units only work for specific VP engines or are the new ones possibly smart enough to run e.g. a KAD 44 as well ?

MapisM

Visit site
From the last line in the webpage that you linked:
"The engine would now simply continue to run without any cables, because no one needs annoying electrics and control devices on a boat engine!"
Pity that I couldn't find a like button... :D

...Oh, and sorry Greta, but if a bit of smoke upon cold start drives you crazy, you'd better be prepared to face MUCH worse challenges in your life! :cool:

volvopaul

hotmail.co.uk