Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
I don’t understand this post , the pics show a standard engine with edc control , nothing different there .
The description says...

"Was a KAMD 300-A and was freed from the well-known annoying electronic injection pump and the associated control unit!

It was converted to a purely mechanical distributor injection pump!

The engine would now simply continue to run without any cables, because no one needs annoying electrics and control devices on a boat engine!"

[2068]

Visit site
I don’t understand this post , the pics show a standard engine with edc control , nothing different there .

“The engine has not yet operated 50 hours after the overhaul!
(also injectors, turbochargers, etc. all NEW!)
Was a KAMD 300-A and was freed from the well-known annoying electronic injection pump and the associated control unit!
It was converted to a purely mechanical distributor injection pump!”

Pascal en Radja

Visit site
We have just read your topic with great interest. we have been working on problems with our engine for six months now. the ecu was broken. we were able to find another one. the engine worked! we totally happy. 3 weeks later the problems started. The engine would not start again. The ECU can be read. Does not indicate faults. Now yesterday they put the ECU from port to starboard engine; the engine starts immediately with that ECU.
We have now been able to buy an ecu twice. Both have been powered by a 24V motor. Our motor is 12V. the mechanic now says that it is because the ECU cannot handle the 12V system. They don't understand, because only 1 type of ECU is made for the 73P-A.
Does anyone here get it?
We would love to hear about it, because VP Nederland does not understand anything about it.

Thank you for the good job you are doing!

Pascal en Radja

Visit site
Hi Pascal,
I have sent you a direct email and hope this is of some help with contacts in the Netherlands.
If you are really lucky, maybe Volvo Paul can also offer you some suggestions on here.
Mike.

Thank you!
We have contact al lot of Volvo Penta dealers and nobody knows what is wrong. We are going to contact your contact and hope he had a suggestion. Thanks!

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
Good morning one and all.
Apologies for the silence my end but as well as being very busy selling boats, we have relocated and much has been happening here at Imperial.
I am pleased to report that VP have recently found us an ECU which has been fitted and the boat in question now runs as she should.
It is not one of the new units which, so far as I know, as yet are still to be manufactured but one that came to light within VP.
I have no further updates from anybody in VP about when, or even if the remanufacture will actually happen but I am pleased to report our little issue is resolved.

I am promised an update by Volvo UK on the availability of new replacement units in due course and will post again as soon as I get this information.
There is every chance that Volvo Paul will get a nod before I do as I believe he has a few on back order so no doubt he will also update if he hear anything.
After all, we are now in Q3 so if anyone at Volvo is still monitoring this thread - I have to ask, can we have an update please?

My best to all.

Mike.

jon and michie

Visit site
Correct from what I have read I understand that vp was able to supply an new old stock ecu - which may have been the last ever one
That said maybe vp could come up trumps with an up to date version.
Which would be good all round because I am of the belief just lately that vp stuff must be made out of chocolate and fails if the sun rises

Portofino

Visit site
I am wondering if Mike @Imperial One or @PowerYachtBlog have or getting their broken ecu's looked at for possible re engineering ?
@Karen maria - it wouldnt surprise me if Volvo doesn't sweep this under the carpet until the next ECU goes.

Does anyone know why these units failed?
My theory is because they are not mounted remotely in dry boxes .
Heat , vibration , potting compound all contribute to the demise of the electrotwackerey.

Better imho and seemingly MAN to remote mount this kinda kit in a dry box somewhere in the ER free from , or as little as possible environmental issues inc water ingress from drips / spillages …..it’s a boat and in my experience, sure others as well , I can’t be the only one …..but there is this thing called water and tends to end places where it shouldn’t.
Maybe VP s potting compound deterioration over time plays a part ?

If you were to opt for remote mounting in a dry box it’s one less thing to add into the cock up equation imho .

@ 20 the remote ECU box ….opened to show dry boards easily dismantled if needed to be sent away to a nerd to check / fix .

17BEB843-E062-4C35-97EC-627CFC15F051.jpeg
Typical ECU box to be remote mounted .

Glitzy PR machine rolls along @ VP but they cut small corners , just enough to pull the wool over the majority of buyers eyes imho .

jon and michie

Visit site
My theory is because they are not mounted remotely in dry boxes .
Heat , vibration , potting compound all contribute to the demise of the electrotwackerey.

Better imho and seemingly MAN to remote mount this kinda kit in a dry box somewhere in the ER free from , or as little as possible environmental issues inc water ingress from drips / spillages …..it’s a boat and in my experience, sure others as well , I can’t be the only one …..but there is this thing called water and tends to end places where it shouldn’t.
Maybe VP s potting compound deterioration over time plays a part ?

If you were to opt for remote mounting in a dry box it’s one less thing to add into the cock up equation imho .

@ 20 the remote ECU box ….opened to show dry boards easily dismantled if needed to be sent away to a nerd to check / fix .

View attachment 127390
Typical ECU box to be remote mounted .

Glitzy PR machine rolls along @ VP but they cut small corners , just enough to pull the wool over the majority of buyers eyes imho .
Agreed - And why mount the ecu on the engine in the first place and with another component installed in the same box - on my Kad300 as you know well its mounted near the oil and fuel filters just where it can be easily knocked when servicing the engine.

oldgit

Visit site
Boats with MAN diesels tend not to be mass market.
VP engines definately are.
Comparing a Range Rover with a MG or Dacia ?