KAD44 Gauge Temp vs ECU temp

Garychill

Visit site
Hi,

My gauge temp sensors are disconnected, instead I have an engine gateway that’s reads the temperate from the ECU.

I’ve been chasing overheats for a year, but it occurred to me that maybe the ECU temp does read higher than what the gauge should. Does anyone have experience in what the difference should be, if any.

My understanding is the gauge temp is at the thermostat and the ECU temp sensor is at the back of the engine near the turbo

Cheers

Garychill

Visit site
Two engines, but they have both been all over the place in the last 12-18 months.

Port side sits at 92
SB now sits at 94 - it had a stat change over winter as the old one was stuck open

kashurst

Visit site
Get an infra red thermometer from amazon or ebay and point it at the sensors and the thermostat housing.
It looks like your engines are running a bit hot. The sensors tend to be pretty accurate or don't work at all.

Chris_d

Visit site
I have KAD44's and the engine data read out is about 3-4 degC hotter compared to the analogue gauges.
Seem to remember a post on here about it a few years ago and there was some suspicion the analogue to digital conversion was suspect, plus as you have stated it is reading a different sensor to the standard gauges.

Garychill

Visit site
I suspected the different is the location of the sensors. Gauge temp at the thermostats and ECU temp at the back of the engine, towards the end of the coolent circuit before HE

So I guess it’s reasonable to assume it’s 3-4 degrees more then…..though at 94 it’s probably a couple of degrees more than I would want