Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

DavidJ

home in Brum. S37 sold, was in Med Spain.
Visit site
I think back to when we did “Risk Assesments” using the criteria of Occurance, Detection and Serverity
Occurance - Very Low (my guess less than 1in 1000 in 10 years)
Detection (chance of finding the problem before it happens) - Not good
Serverity - Very very high in light of potential supply problems.(2nd hand only)

Score them (somehow) and add (or multiply, always a debate on this) and you still get a high risk.
or reverting to the topic title, “Cause for concern?” ..... High

The techniques have probably moved on but you get my drift and forgive me for stating for some “ the bleeding obvious!”

Last edited:

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Most of your posts here seem quite reasonable, but now a second thread response by you attempting to bully me on a public forum - WTF did I do ?

However, I would suggest you stop this nonsense right now as I DO NOT cow to bullies - didn't when I was 11 and I do not now.
The first sentence of my post was tongue in cheek, hence the exclamation mark. The rest of it wasn't directed at you in particular. But if it's come across as bullying, then I apologize. I know you're a decent chap and I abhor bullying too.

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Of course it's a concer
I think back to when we did “Risk Assesments” using the criteria of Occurance, Detection and Serverity
Occurance - Very Low (my guess less than 1in 1000 in 10 years)
Detection (chance of finding the problem before it happens) - Not good
Serverity - Very very high in light of potential supply problems.(2nd hand only)

Score them (somehow) and add (or multiply, always a debate on this) and you still get a high risk.
or reverting to the topic title, “Cause for concern?” ..... High

The techniques have probably moved on but you get my drift and forgive me for stating for some “ the bleeding obvious!”
Of course it's a concern and a solution needs to be found. But I'm a member of three Volvo Penta Facebook groups, plus ones for Fairline, Sealine and Princess and I'm not aware of anyone else who has a failed ECU and an unusable boat. This shouldn't be something that keeps people awake and night and it certainly isn't an issue that should devalue these boats.

superheat6k

Visit site
The first sentence of my post was tongue in cheek, hence the exclamation mark. The rest of it wasn't directed at you in particular. But if it's come across as bullying, then I apologize. I know you're a decent chap and I abhor bullying too.
Thank you, apology accepted and may I apologise for perhaps being over sensitive. Must be turning into a snowflake. God help me !

vas

Visit site
It’s still there!
just a warning, CR are definitely not too keen in keeping their inventory updated, I've ordered something like 6-7 times from them over the last 10yrs, sometimes quite a lot of things, not ONCE did they have all the bits they claimed, so they were always sending similar items in larger numbers to compensate (after email communication of course), or in a couple of occasions met the price I paid with much more expensive kit (like paying 50quid and sending me something that was 200quid much better and larger...)
so being listed doesn't mean much, may have gone in 2020!

V.

Megs20Burt!

Visit site

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
UPDATE ALERT!
As a result of my last email to the top of Volvo and others below her, I have been invited to join an online meeting to update me on the progress (or not) of the replacement ECU's.
The meeting is scheduled for the morning of 6th May and I will post whatever information I find out afterwards.
So it is still a case of fingers crossed I guess.
Mike.

P.S.
Re the shortage of Chips....my local chip shop has lots of very good ones, available I believe, on a daily basis.
Not sure where they are made, or sourced; maybe Ireland or China because interestingly the chap who serves me is Chinese but speaks with a very broad Northern Ireland accent.
Most disconcerting when you meet him for the first time!

Megs20Burt!

Visit site
UPDATE ALERT!
As a result of my last email to the top of Volvo and others below her, I have been invited to join an online meeting to update me on the progress (or not) of the replacement ECU's.
The meeting is scheduled for the morning of 6th May and I will post whatever information I find out afterwards.
So it is still a case of fingers crossed I guess.
Mike.

P.S.
Re the shortage of Chips....my local chip shop has lots of very good ones, available I believe, on a daily basis.
Not sure where they are made, or sourced; maybe Ireland or China because interestingly the chap who serves me is Chinese but speaks with a very broad Northern Ireland accent.
Most disconcerting when you meet him for the first time!
Can he supply sauce as well?

Hope the meeting goes well Imperial One, thanks for all the hard work?