Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

kashurst

Visit site
Well done Pete, I think you have found the solution.
DSL1

That ECU looks like it can do all the required functions to run a Volvo EDC/bosch engine. It would need software to understand the throttles as the same potentiometer is used for forwards and reverse. So it would need a calibrate function and a method to select which throttles you wanted to use.
There are spare programmable outputs for the gearbox solenoids and a supercharger too. :)

If I was waiting for a new Volvo ECU for my boat I would be on the phone now.
Baldur is in Iceland - pretty sure he will know someone with a boat.

Last edited:

kashurst

Visit site
Thats all very good for you Bosch boys :giggle: what about us poor TAMD owners:cry:;)
I believe that Bosch make the fuel injection pumps etc for all the KAD AND TAMD engines. The KAD engines use a cheaper to make and smaller rotary injection pump. The TAMDs use an inline injection pump. However they are both controlled in essentially the same way.
The ECU provides a pulse width modulated output to the injection pump solenoid that physically moves the spill ring (KAD) or spill rack (TAMD). Inside the pump is an inductive sensor to measure the movement of that rack so the ECU has closed loop control (i..e. safe)
The MAP sensor (air pressure sensor) is in the Volvo ECU. Easy to fit another one (and he sells them) into the existing engine manifold via an adaptor.

westernman

www.devalk.nl
There is obviously a business for some one here. If you can supply these things programmed for various VP engines along with an adapter for the wiring harness, (i.e. a turnkey solution) you would find lots of people very happy to pay you $3K for the unit which you bought for $649.

andy59

Visit site
I believe that Bosch make the fuel injection pumps etc for all the KAD AND TAMD engines. The KAD engines use a cheaper to make and smaller rotary injection pump. The TAMDs use an inline injection pump. However they are both controlled in essentially the same way.
The ECU provides a pulse width modulated output to the injection pump solenoid that physically moves the spill ring (KAD) or spill rack (TAMD). Inside the pump is an inductive sensor to measure the movement of that rack so the ECU has closed loop control (i..e. safe)
The MAP sensor (air pressure sensor) is in the Volvo ECU. Easy to fit another one (and he sells them) into the existing engine manifold via an adaptor.
Thanks Kashhurst ?

kashurst

Visit site
good, so you sorted it, now K buys one and on next lockdown sorts out the s/w for it :cool:
I haven't written any serious software for a loooong time . The last time I wrote anything of any complexity it was in assembler and visual C. - I was hoping you would volunteer?
I suspect Baldur, the creator of this marvel of technology, will not have too many problems making a volvo boat version if he created this box of tricks in the first place. Fingers crossed he is interested when a volunteer contacts him.

edit: I just sent Baldur a long message via his website with a link to this thread. I will let you know what happens.

Last edited:

vas

Visit site
next lockdown maybe, but really in order to play with such a thing, you need to have the relevant bits about to test them...
my engines are fully mechanical IVECOs, one of my mates has fully mech VP on shafts and the other CATs. No EDC boat I can get the keys to play down here, so got to be someone else I'm afraid.
honestly, coding should be rather easy since if I got that right you only have to effectively simulate the bowden cable movement on the injector pump and a few relays... (gears/supercharger)
edit:
... well unless EDC does fancy encoding of values and sends them as such down the lines to the ECU in which case you have to decode that as well, else I guess it's a few pots reading

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Well done Pete, I think you have found the solution.
DSL1

That ECU looks like it can do all the required functions to run a Volvo EDC/bosch engine. It would need software to understand the throttles as the same potentiometer is used for forwards and reverse. So it would need a calibrate function and a method to select which throttles you wanted to use.
There are spare programmable outputs for the gearbox solenoids and a supercharger too. :)

If I was waiting for a new Volvo ECU for my boat I would be on the phone now.
Baldur is in Iceland - pretty sure he will know someone with a boat.
I agree, it would appear to be capable of running the engine. I'm not sure it has all of the KAD sensors (e.g. fuel temperature) but you could probably live without some of these (as I think you are at the moment!).

If you wanted to keep the ECU configuration simple, you could fit a Glendenning set of throttles and gearbox actuators. That would be a nice upgrade.

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
All very interesting side threads going on but just to bring the topic back on track, guess what?
Still absolutely no news or contact of any sort from Volvo Penta.

Owner getting very upset and I am just about to email the lady at the top of VP again to see if a prod from the top down will get anybody moving and talking to us.
Or p[ossibly even, making the ECU again!

Imperial One

www.imperial-yachtbrokers.com
I think Volvo Penta need to come clean with their ACTUAL intention. Either they are doing their best to get them made with all the difficulties with supply etc at the moment, or, they have NO intention of manufacturing more , and if not, will they be helpfull in letting a 3rd party copy them :unsure: .Maybe a few emails to Hel'ene Mellquist will encourage some info. Unless they are using the "head in the sand" principle hoping that this PR problem will go away.

Believe me when I say we have sent emails to everybody in senior positions including Helen Mellquist, and indeed she was of some help at the beginning of it all by giving instructions down the chain of command.
The story is still Q3 is the time they aim for but absolutely nobody has come back to me for months now with any further news and this is despite promising a weekly update.
Hopefully they will look on here and see that over 15k people have looked at this thread.......but then again, maybe they simply do not give a fig, after all customer service is only an imagined reality I suspect;)

Thanks to you all for your help in keeping this thread at the top of the lists and for all of your ongoing support.

Hunterlees

Visit site
Perhaps if every single interested party wrote to her, she would get the message.
Is there any way to bring this to wider media attention by writing letters to be published in all the boating journals ?

andy59

Visit site
Can’t imagine any of the boating media biting the hand that feeds them, maybe if some of the mainstream boat builders start using alternative engine manufacturers because customers don’t want Volvo Penta engines?.

superheat6k

Visit site
Perhaps if every single interested party wrote to her, she would get the message.
Is there any way to bring this to wider media attention by writing letters to be published in all the boating journals ?
Does someone have her direct email address.

Glad to see the initiative to resolve this outside the domain of Volvo Penta however. Think I wil be sticking with my Cummins though.