Volvo TAMD 73/74 and 75 ECU - Cause for concern?

Chris_d

Visit site
I have been reading this thread with great interest as most of my potential next boats have these engines, have had to now potentially look at older stuff to avoid the EDC versions.

But I think the thread is missing an obvious point, these ECU's are crap and fail regularly costing 000's to replace, do we really want Volvo to produce more of the same?

If they are going to make more they need to fix the issues and produce a better product, maybe this explains their current silence, do they just keep the same spec or fix the known weaknesses at the same time. Replacing obsolete components with newer more reliable parts. I can imagine somewhere in Volvo an engineer with a brain has pointed this out and there is now a delay whilst waiting for a policy decision from an adult above.

Portofino

Visit site
Yep some hard to understand policy decisions.
Take the other end the IPS 1200 or what ever cobbling a pod which is a glorified gear box gangling in the sea , to a souped up D12 block .This is in order to move into the 60 ft upwards market .It’s there ceiling right now .
Surly they must have seen the trend of many newbies entering at 60 ft upwards say even progressing to 90 ft etc .
Why have they not gone for bigger blocks and V 8 s or even V12 s at 16 and 22 L .
They could sub contract out the blocks in do a deal with Mitsubishi/ Komatsu or some other big block diesel Co .

Realise MAN MTU CAT are not gonna help them take sales from themselves, like share blocks .

If they were to open there eyes and look to the future they might see how important after care and spares inventory was .
Have enough fat on the lamb in terms of building up the T/o vol to carry the spares for all if they made the leaps to go up with V8s V12 s etc ,

Its as if at a fork in the road they choose the one road to make more profit in the short term , not seeing the future bigger picture .
Like letting Nira cease making ECU s , like adapting the D12 to pods and printing “ 1200 “ Hp when it’s not .Works for a while this cost cutting but the problems of not investing in the spares inventory or larger blocks will not go away only loose business in the longer term .Madness to leave so many unsupported so soon .

Can’t see charter guys phaffing with the unreliability of a podded boat .What do you say to the guests as they step off the plane when you know the electrotwackery is gonna beep and limp mode away the charter trips ?

Last edited:

Portofino

Visit site
Maybe Greta has got to them and they will quietly back out of the diesel burning market:unsure:
True maybe they are gonna pull a blinder very soon and blitz’s the market with ( smaller which is where they are ) hybrid propulsion.So no consciousness about trying to quietly drop support old polluting yesterdays engines .

Except one tiny detail......switch boats for cars .:unsure:
80F059A8-F739-4CA7-A89D-D90BB505BEDF.jpeg

jon and michie

Visit site
But I think the thread is missing an obvious point, these ECU's are crap and fail regularly costing 000's to replace, do we really want Volvo to produce more of the same?

Good point - However something is better than nothing

Hopefully they will look on here and see that over 15k people have looked at this thread.......but then again, maybe they simply do not give a fig, after all customer service is only an imagined reality I suspect;)

Perhaps if every single interested party wrote to her, she would get the message.
Is there any way to bring this to wider media attention by writing letters to be published in all the boating journals ?

Maybe someone should point this problem out on youtube - I'm sure this would get someone in Volvo's HQ attention.

I do hope that what Petem has found can be engineered for use on our boats - it would be 1-0 victory to the small man against the corporation.

Just my opinion

Jon

Dino

Visit site
A friend of mine is looking at a boat with TAMD 72 EDC’s. Are these subject to similar issues or are they mechanical engines?

petem

www.fairlineownersclub.com
Deleted - can't be bothered.
Don't tell me, you'll stick with your Cummins!

Seriously, I am under no illusions about Volvo engines being perfect but the oily bits of the KAD and TAMD engine do seem to be durable and fit for purpose. Yeah, the ancillaries (turbos, coolers, etc) are a bit crap but there are now lots of pattern parts meaning that you're not totally reliant on VP for replacements. And the great thing about owning a green engine is that there are literally 10's of thousands of people with the same engines meaning there is a viable and profitable after market for parts.

Regarding the mechanical versus electronic engine debate, I would certainly not be critical of any purely mechanical engine. But electronic engines do have some benefits, fly by wire throttles, better fuel economy and performance, diagnostics, and monitoring that will stop the engine if it's overheating, etc.

Back to ECU's, the more I look into this, the more I think that it is a simple job to get a third party ECU working. And a non VP ECU could actually be far more superior to the Volvo OEM part. Adding the following features would be relatively straightforward:

1) Support for OBD2
2) Out of the box NMEA 2000 interface to chart plotters
3) Additional inputs (e.g. EGT)

Not to mention that they could be sold much cheaper than OEM parts and could be repairable (no horrible potting). Plus they could be mounted on a bulkhead (and not be shaken to death on the engine).

Seriously, anyone who thinks that a quarter of a £billion plus worth of engines will be written off because VP can't be arsed to supply ECU's needs their head examined.

superheat6k

Visit site
Don't tell me, you'll stick with your Cummins!

Seriously, I am under no illusions about Volvo engines being perfect but the oily bits of the KAD and TAMD engine do seem to be durable and fit for purpose. Yeah, the ancillaries (turbos, coolers, etc) are a bit crap but there are now lots of pattern parts meaning that you're not totally reliant on VP for replacements. And the great thing about owning a green engine is that there are literally 10's of thousands of people with the same engines meaning there is a viable and profitable after market for parts.

Regarding the mechanical versus electronic engine debate, I would certainly not be critical of any purely mechanical engine. But electronic engines do have some benefits, fly by wire throttles, better fuel economy and performance, diagnostics, and monitoring that will stop the engine if it's overheating, etc.

Back to ECU's, the more I look into this, the more I think that it is a simple job to get a third party ECU working. And a non VP ECU could actually be far more superior to the Volvo OEM part. Adding the following features would be relatively straightforward:

1) Support for OBD2
2) Out of the box NMEA 2000 interface to chart plotters
3) Additional inputs (e.g. EGT)

Not to mention that they could be sold much cheaper than OEM parts and could be repairable (no horrible potting). Plus they could be mounted on a bulkhead (and not be shaken to death on the engine).

Seriously, anyone who thinks that a quarter of a £billion plus worth of engines will be written off because VP can't be arsed to supply ECU's needs their head examined.
Most of your posts here seem quite reasonable, but now a second thread response by you attempting to bully me on a public forum - WTF did I do ?

However, I would suggest you stop this nonsense right now as I DO NOT cow to bullies - didn't when I was 11 and I do not now.