That large capsized motoryacht at Burnham?

LlysHelig

Visit site
On iPad.... The website keeps showing tech data about the photographs/videos which cover the images...
Hello,
Thanks for pointing this out. The gallery plugin has the worst user interface and seems to randomly choose Nehemiah to work correctly.
I think I’ve resolved this now but I will find a better gallery option.
Thanks,

LlysHelig

Visit site
Hello,
Thanks for pointing this out. The gallery plugin has the worst user interface and seems to randomly choose Nehemiah to work correctly.
I think I’ve resolved this now but I will find a better gallery option.
Thanks,
I have no idea what “Nehemiah” is and how it got there. I think I need to step away from the computer for a sleep

tillergirl

Visit site
My reaction is 'what an odd letter'. It was the owner's responsibility not the local authority's.

On a more positive thread, am I right to assume that the engines are now wrecked, Llys?

LlysHelig

Visit site
My reaction is 'what an odd letter'. It was the owner's responsibility not the local authority's.

On a more positive thread, am I right to assume that the engines are now wrecked, Llys?
I’ve not been down to the engine room yet as there’s still mud and 2 tides a day. However, before she was righted one engine (starboard) had been taking the worst of the elements for 3 years.
Currently the entire lower deck is submerged beneath the Crouch twice daily so anything that is down there will be in a bad way. 73C7229F-9FFF-4E0D-A534-EA6EB06F81C7.jpeg

I’ve seen a recent photograph where the starboard engine block could be seen but the head and manifold were detached. Howard (owner) tells me that the engines hadn’t been run for many years and were no longer connected to the propeller shafts.
I suspect that some engine parts would still be salvageable (especially portside) but all will be removed and replaced with modern diesel units ultimately.
The current engines are 8 cylinder Glennifer which were fitted in 1961 apparently.

Keith 66

Visit site
Out of interest a friend acquired an elderly MFV with a huge 8cylinder gardner diesel, she had been sunk for years. He broke it up & i saw the engine in his workshop a while later partially stripped down. The whole thing was red rust & full of mud but he sold it for rebuilding & got over 6k for it too!
I expect those gleniffers could be rebuilt but it would depend on how much money you threw at them.
Chuck them in a tank of citric acid or electrolysis tank & you would be surprised how the parts would come up.

jon and michie

Visit site
Maybe worth contacting the heerema yard in hartlepool - they broke up the Brent Bravo oil platform last year and are now breaking the Brent Alpha - both platforms had large Catapillar Engines for power generation well maintained.

jon and michie

Visit site
Quoted from the news article -- "I can say with experience, having owned the ship from 1989 to 2012, she could have been righted the next day with a submersible pump and a bit of common sense. I carried this out three times during my ownership without help or the need to convene meetings.

Being nearly 100 years old, the ship leaked, of course, but with a pump and a timer the leaks never became critical. I suspect that the electricity that would have powered any pumps had been cut off. "

Obviously he didnt maintain the vessel to fix various leaks.

LlysHelig

Visit site
Quoted from the news article -- "I can say with experience, having owned the ship from 1989 to 2012, she could have been righted the next day with a submersible pump and a bit of common sense. I carried this out three times during my ownership without help or the need to convene meetings.

Being nearly 100 years old, the ship leaked, of course, but with a pump and a timer the leaks never became critical. I suspect that the electricity that would have powered any pumps had been cut off. "

Obviously he didnt maintain the vessel to fix various leaks.
There are a lot of holes. She’ll be replated when she’s out of the water. The plan is to take her to Turks on the Medway.

Tomahawk

Visit site

My sense is that the letter was written by the previous owner who feels he was mucked about by MDC. I am assuming that MDC have tried to claim credit for sorting out the wreck.. (Not that a council would try to take credit for other peoples efforts?) And he wanted to put the record straight.