That large capsized motoryacht at Burnham?

DownWest

Visit site
Indeed, but you have to question why anyone would throw that much money at it.
Quite...But then you have to question anybody who buys an old wooden boat over a GRP one. Makes little sense.. Might I mention that Kukri has bought a big GRP classic after owning wooden delights?
There is little logic in keeping a boat that was designed with a limited lifespan to keep going on the modern era. But, it keeps plenty of people occupied and as long as they they are enjoying it (and it doesent bunkrupt them; happens) then good for them.
This project will absorb huge amounts of loot. If they can get it, OK. Way cheaper to bulld a new one to the same design. But why? It is all illogical.

Sticky Fingers

Visit site
Indeed, but you have to question why anyone would throw that much money at it.
Quite...But then you have to question anybody who buys an old wooden boat over a GRP one. Makes little sense.. Might I mention that Kukri has bought a big GRP classic after owning wooden delights?
There is little logic in keeping a boat that was designed with a limited lifespan to keep going on the modern era. But, it keeps plenty of people occupied and as long as they they are enjoying it (and it doesent bunkrupt them; happens) then good for them.
This project will absorb huge amounts of loot. If they can get it, OK. Way cheaper to bulld a new one to the same design. But why? It is all illogical.
True. But if you (like me) are a subscriber to Classic Boat you'll have read of many a resto/rebuild project that has drained funds and strained marriages, but the end results can be breathtaking. I guess we should be happy that there are people who have the means to do this, so that beautiful boats from lomg ago can continue to delight the eye...!

DownWest

Visit site
Eye of the beholder. ..

The orginal had some charm, the built up version a 'bit' less. But, you have to have a seriously good view to lavish the funds required. Just read my link above.

Kukri

East coast UK. Mostly. Sometimes the Philippines
Visit site
I started with wooden boats, 51 years ago, because they were cheaper, and as a schoolboy and a student I had the time to learn how to maintain and repair them. But they were all going concerns, not rebuild projects, although the fourth one, which I owned for 29 years, did get quite extensively rebuilt. Particularly after the October 1987 hurricane.

This was 1973-83 - she is still going strong..
D069DB22-00EB-4695-8894-ED65795CF909.jpeg

This was 1984-2013 - also still going strong..

BE61A09A-1DC3-4DE7-B2C1-B05FB80627AA.jpeg

... and when I wanted a hand to get the Red Monster round the coast, both the chaps I had sold them to put their hands up!

Last edited:

DownWest

Visit site
I started with wooden boats, 51 years ago, because they were cheaper, and as a schoolboy and a student I had the time to learn how to maintain and repair them. But they were all going concerns, not rebuild projects, although the fourth one, which I owned for 29 years, did get quite extensively rebuilt. Particularly after the October 1987 hurricane.
You have def done your bit for the older tree grown boats. At least you don't have to worry much azbout the hull on your current project. Chapeau..

Kukri

Visit site
Hey..it is not exactly a little boat, and ex forces. Lots of 'little ' bits to fettle. Much fun to be had, but what a great boat for an enthusiast. Def green eyes here..

The JSASTC still have one sister, HMSTY “Dasher”, as far as I know. I am quietly keeping tabs on her, as are other Nic 55 owners, because if I know anything at all about HM Forces, the JSASTC will be sitting on a pile of spare Nic 55 gear, which will go when she does. Rumour had it that they were planning to attempt the NW Passage in her, then put her up for disposal, but that was pre - Covid19...

Much Fettling in the Mire - modifying a boat built to keep a crew of 12 fit young men and women busy into one that will keep a crew of one or two not too busy. (We now have a windlass! ?)

[178529]

Visit site
Where is "carter and ward Rockford"? The article said she was going to be taken to a dry dock on the Thames.

Www.solocoastalsailing.co.uk

Rochford not Rockford, autocorrect. It's at the end of the Roach and is only a few miles by river from where she is now. Lots of the Leigh fishing boats are hauled out there each year. However, if she's going to the Thames then they'll need to make her fairly seaworthy as she'll have to go a fair way out past the Whittaker.

CLB

Visit site
Rochford not Rockford, autocorrect. It's at the end of the Roach and is only a few miles by river from where she is now. Lots of the Leigh fishing boats are hauled out there each year. However, if she's going to the Thames then they'll need to make her fairly seaworthy as she'll have to go a fair way out past the Whittaker.

Could she be lifted over the river at Essex Marina? That Boats.co.uk sign must have some relevance.

Kukri

Visit site
From what we have seen, the owner’s team know what they are about. They wisely are not giving hostages to fortune so “Llys Helig watching”will continue to be a spectator sport! But, in the spirit of the thing I assume the engines are out and most of the interior could go into skips, so the weight to be lifted might not be that great?